Ares Games

Thread: OTTCYM Mission 11 - Attack Plane Surprise - Sept 19th 1916 by tikkifriend

Default OTTCYM Mission 11 - Attack Plane Surprise - Sept 19th 1916 by tikkifriend

RFC
    Lt Tim Harper Nieuport blue spot
    2Lt Quinten Marsh Sopwith Pup
    2Lt F Parrott Nieuport
    2Lt Henry DH2

Cental Powers
    Ltn Ludwig Klein Halb III
    Ltn Friedrich Koch Alb DII
    Ltn Hans Dorf (P2) Ltn Eric Cammann (O) Aviatik
    Ltn Jann Bitten (P) Ltn Frank Clauss(O) Roland CII

The Germans had been strafing the Allied front line continuously for the last few days and causalities on the ground mounting . The RFC always arrived too late to catch the 2 seaters as the fled across NML to the safety of their own lines. The Wing Co had come up with a plan and the pilots to fly it. As per plan the Bulldogs crept in on the German menace.

Henry was the decoy , coming head on to the flight while the 3 other scouts bore down on them.

Marsh dropped the nose of his Pup and aimed at the slower Aviatik.

Henry drew first blood, riddling the Roland's tail from above (2+LRD)

The German Scouts had the advantage of height as they closed in on the RFC planes

Koch und Klein crossed close to each other trying to out fox the smaller and slower Nieuports; Harper found himself beneath the passing Albatross and loosed off a short burst to no avail. (0)

Henry pressed on his attack of the 2 seaters. The Aviatik was up first, rounds clipping a strut (2)

a second burst saw no effect but Cammann took careful aim and drilled the DH2 s engine (2+ED)

Pulling out to his left Henry looked to pass below the D.II
    By now Marsh had got within range of the Aviatik. The explosion was spectacular as Quinten's rounds hit both the engine and the fuel tank, the biplane plunged into NML

Harper kept behind and below Klein , slowly picking at the Halb (2)

Henry, his engine grinding metal on metal turned for home.

Bitten kept his Roland pointed homeward, Cammann kept his finger on the trigger watching the new Pup closed on him.

Koch shot at Parrott as he turned but the rounds fell wide (0)

Harper piled on the misery for Klein, hitting the German's engine from below (2+Eng) before Klein shook him off.
    It was going to be a long trip home on a duff engine.

A short burst at long range and the Roland was smoking (1+Smoke)

Bitten started to weave the Roland the sky in an attempt to keep out of Marsh's sights. Marsh kept in the Roland's blind spot. Another burst and his gun jammed (1+GJ)it was possibly enough to save the German.

It was, as the Roland flew into the safety of the German lines.

Parrott was determined to stay below and out of Koch's LOS. Koch was equally determined to shred this little Nieuport. Height was no advantage here so Koch pushed his plane into a slow dive. A burst from the 2 guns of the Albatros and Parrott slumped forward, blood oozing from his chest and shoulder; (5+Pilot)

Henry finally got his DH2 to the Allied lines before it gave up completely .

Harper snuck up on the crippled Halb, ripping into what remained of its engine with an accurate burst. (2+Eng) Klein's machine tumbled to the ground.

Parrott and Koch began a circle of death, the Nieuport pilots feet frozen on the rudder. After a minute or so Parrott came to his senses and looking around saw Marsh in the distance, as well as the Albatros D.II

Marsh, his guns freed and the Roland long gone, turned and climbed.

Koch was outnumbered but was still confident he could drive the 2 RFC planes off, especially as one pilot was wounded. He wasn't wrong. Marsh was the first to feel the lead from the twin guns (3)

Marsh used the Pups tight right turn to attempt to get on the Germans tail and draw him away from the sick Parrott.
    Pulling tight Marsh got the DII in his sights only for the rounds to go wide (0)

a second burst and the same result (0)

Koch was closing on Parrott

Ignoring Marsh on his tail Koch hounded Parrott Quinton kept picking at the Albatross (1) (3) (4)

Till Koch had to turn away from the Nieuport.
    Marsh anticipated the move and stuck close to his foe continuing the punishment (2) till the Albatross was barely able to fly..

The sky was clear as the Bulldogs headed for home .

Result.

B]RFC [/B]
    Lt Tim Harper Nieuport blue spot - RTB 1 Kill

2Lt Quinten Marsh Sopwith Pup RTB 2 Kills

2Lt Charles Parrott Nieuport FRTB-W / WIA
    Rolled 4,4 = crashed.
    Rolled 9 +1RTB -1FRTB -1WIA = 8 Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenario. Rolled 6 = skip 2

2Lt Paul Henry DH2 FRTB-E 0 kills
    Rolled 4,1 = landed safely.

[B]Central Powers.[/B]

Ltn Ludwig Klein Halb III SD-FT 0 kills
    Rolled 5 - 1SD = 4 - injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Rolled 1 = skip 1

Ltn Friedrich Koch Alb D.II - SD-FT 0 kills
    Rolled 7 -3EXP = 4 - injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Rolled 5 = skip 5

Ltn Hans Dorf (P2) Aviatik SD-EXP-FT 0 kills
    Rolled 7 -3EXP = 4 - injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Rolled 4 = skip 4

Ltn Eric Cammann (O) Aviatik SD-EXP-FT 0 kills
    Rolled 7 -3EXP = 4 - injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Rolled 5 = skip 5

Ltn Jann Bitten (P2) Roland CII - RTB 0 kills
    Ltn Frank Clauss(O) Roland CII - RTB 0 kills

Well the Pup did well and the flimsy Nieuports showed themselves to be worth opponents as long as they stayed below the German scouts. I make it a 9/5 in favour of the RFC.

I await the outcome of the wounded Parrott (hold on the puns) and the knoble knigits that fought them if you would please Uncle.
    Last edited by flash; 03-24-2021 at 03:40. Reason: Title adjust

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Good game! Very fun to read the AAR!

Aggressive lil Pup Well done!

Job well done, Paul. Up the score for your Bulldogs nicely.

Well done Paul, I was a little worried when I saw Bitten's Rumpler weaving along the edge of the known world, for all flat earthers it's would have been positive proof of their theory, but he pulled back from the edge.

Nice to see the Pup in action, I think this is the first one I've seen, but my memory is pretty poor, it had a good outing and so bodes well for the future when the air is full of Albatrii.

Totally off topic but I've been reading some of the old WWll Campaign games from 2014 or 5 I think and I've enjoyed your contributions there as well.

Thumbs up

Good result for your Doggies Paul so well done!
    You have some very nice Aircraft at your beck & call for the current missions & so nice to see a Pup in the Air.
    Looking forward to using mine soon.

Some Rep on its way to you.

So much wrong but a win for the dogs.
    Can you complete the tally correctly so that Uncle can do the biz on it ? Don't worry, Uncle's sorted it.

Uncle says:

Don't know where that Pup came from - even the bloody Navy don't have them yet - but I suggest you give it back 'toot sweet' before they realise it's missing !
    Werner Thomas is STILL out wounded until mission 12, so was not available to the Eagles, I subbed in Ludwig Klein the latest new boy. Downed first time out.
    I've put all crashers down in friendly territory to keep it simple - they drew big numbers mostly anyway so back next time round.

Meanwhile on the other side:
    Ltn Hans Dorrf is awarded the Iron Cross 2nd class for his service to the Kaiser
    Ltn Markus Bettmann reports for duty
    Ltn Werner Thomas is finally declared fit for duty...
    Last edited by flash; 03-24-2021 at 03:39.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Ah yes those Pups .
    The Pups were on order but got diverted from the Pfizer squadron, just before they were banned from the front line along with the other AstraZenica flight.

Mean while Timmy is busting balloons in the Mess on his being an ace.

Well done Paul. Like the way you snuck that Pup in under the radar. Made a big difference Hope for us all in the future then. Good bundle. Nice to get rid of the Alb DII and just as well the Roland went early on too; I've found that one a tough nut to crack in the past. Have some rep kind sir

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT CYM Mission 11 - Attack Plane Surprise 19 Sep 16 (ShadowDragon)
    By ShadowDragon in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-02-2021, 18:11
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-02-2021, 17:23
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-02-2021, 09:34
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-12-2021, 06:18
  5. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-28-2021, 20:25