Ares Games

Thread: strategy advice from experience player :)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Vladimir
    Sorties Flown

Default strategy advice from experience player :)

After few games with family i saw that we play immelmann turn like it is something sacred and precious and normally we flew off the board.. after few thoughts I see that is imbecile, right? Why not play it often?
    So my question is how you play immelmann? Thank you for any advice

In WGS: all the time Minis there are not such maneuvreable as in WGF so the Immelamn Turn is an important part of the tactics. I remember a moment when I did not play it and prefered common turn that it literary kicked off me from the game becuase I was too lato to battlefield

And do not forget Split-S

The Immelmann can seem a bit cheesy to some, as it was probably not used as much in actual dogfights as it shows up in WoG.

Use is definitely recommended, if it keeps you on the table, though.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Users Country Flag

Name
    Vladimir
    Sorties Flown

Thx, that is helping, tonight game will be more interesting and quite faster in returning to enemies tail
    Last edited by wuradosan; 03-17-2021 at 14:13.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Vladimir
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    In WGS: all the time Minis there are not such maneuvreable as in WGF so the Immelamn Turn is an important part of the tactics. I remember a moment when I did not play it and prefered common turn that it literary kicked off me from the game becuase I was too lato to battlefield

And do not forget Split-S
    We still playing with basic rules, Split S is in advanced, can we ignore altitude and play it just like immelmann?

For sure - just start with stall card instead of a straight. That gives you about 2 cm advance
    Do not forget that rules are there to guide you, not rule you. We usually start with 3 minutes "which rules we will aplly in our game" and then continue with playing (for example: you do not need advance rules for simple dogfight, but maybe they would be useful for a bombing mission).

An ultimate "briefer" is Marek (gutland): He suited up into his desert RAF battledress, hang a big map on the wall and did a full briefing with a wooden pointer

Users Country Flag

Name
    Vladimir
    Sorties Flown

Thx, now I feel much better about rules, my problem is that I'm a little nerdy when rules come over and usually lost a lot of time reading them over and over to be sure we didn't make some mistakes and wonder how people can play with house rules when there's original ones.

It depends, Vladimir. Definitely tell me your opinion about altitude rules one day - maybe you'll realise there can be some improvements (loosing altitude even during a turn etc.) or rules you probably won't play much often (fuel). On the other side, Immelman and Split-S are much nore interesting with altitude rules.

I guess it is fine to be a rule sticker (and I don't know anybody who has problem to keep official instead of the house ones). And it's definitely better to start with official rules than have bad habits from house ones applied too early.

The funny thing is that even Andrea, the allmighty creator, does the same sometime

By the way, I recommend even Sails of Glory and Battlestar Galactica (now on sale!) - their rules and mechanics are also fun and their minis... [inlovesmile]

By the way how olds are your kids (?) you're playing with?

Quote Originally Posted by wuradosan View Post
    We still playing with basic rules, Split S is in advanced, can we ignore altitude and play it just like immelmann?

yes, thats one of wings of glorys great strengths; its open ended enough you can use a myriad of house rules. just dont forget whats a house rule and what isnt when you go to a convention lol. our little group ignores altitude (because we feel it draws out gameplay) and uses split Ss. makes life interesting anytime someone ends on a stall as youre left wondering if theyre doing a split S or just psyching you out lol. we also use overdives to put out fires without altitude. we just us a second straight maneuver instead of the dive after an over dive has been declared of course. we assume starting at level 4 with "climb counters" and limit it to 2 attempts. youd be amazed at how often we draw 2 successive zeros lol.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Vladimir
    Sorties Flown

It depends, Vladimir. Definitely tell me your opinion about altitude rules one day - maybe you'll realise there can be some improvements (loosing altitude even during a turn etc.) or rules you probably won't play much often (fuel). On the other side, Immelman and Split-S are much nore interesting with altitude rules.

I guess it is fine to be a rule sticker (and I don't know anybody who has problem to keep official instead of the house ones). And it's definitely better to start with official rules than have bad habits from house ones applied too early.

The funny thing is that even Andrea, the allmighty creator, does the same sometime

By the way, I recommend even Sails of Glory and Battlestar Galactica (now on sale!) - their rules and mechanics are also fun and their minis... [inlovesmile]

By the way how olds are your kids (?) you're playing with?
    Son is 10, and daughter is 9. And biggest fan of game is wife (believe it or not)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Vladimir
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    yes, thats one of wings of glorys great strengths; its open ended enough you can use a myriad of house rules. just dont forget whats a house rule and what isnt when you go to a convention lol. our little group ignores altitude (because we feel it draws out gameplay) and uses split Ss. makes life interesting anytime someone ends on a stall as youre left wondering if theyre doing a split S or just psyching you out lol. we also use overdives to put out fires without altitude. we just us a second straight maneuver instead of the dive after an over dive has been declared of course. we assume starting at level 4 with "climb counters" and limit it to 2 attempts. youd be amazed at how often we draw 2 successive zeros lol.
    We played 5, 6 games so far, so I didn't introduce them more than basic rules. But it is in plan to use all rules one by one how we progress ... untill we come to point "hmmm what now I must do, was it 3 or 5 counters" etc...

Quote Originally Posted by wuradosan View Post
    Son is 10, and daughter is 9. And biggest fan of game is wife (believe it or not)
    I believe it! That is the reason why there is a Camel with two hearts on the top wing
    Be aware of your kids, they can be deadly (yes, I am pointing to you, Polish Wing, especially Opole Flight!).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	800x600_ww1-wings-of-glory_WGF102B.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	298794
    Last edited by Dan-Sam; 03-18-2021 at 07:17. Reason: Deleted "(unfortunately from old Nexus series)" from Camel mention, it was released even by Ares.

I believe it! That is the reason why there is a Camel with two hearts on the top wing (unfortunately from old Nexus series)
    Be aware of your kids, they can be deadly (yes, I am pointing to you, Polish Wing, especially Opole Flight!).
    Yeah. I picked that plane as a prize at a convention, for my Better Half specifically, but she was not interested at alll.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51oAd21n17L._AC_SY1000_.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	298795
    Wings of War/Glory: Elwood Camel
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Users Country Flag

Name
    Vladimir
    Sorties Flown

Now that's a love
    And great idea, I will find somewhere little hart stickers and for birthday she will get one plain just for her! Thank you comrades, some fine ppl fly with me

As mentioned above, the Immelmann (and Split-S) crop up far too often for comfort (or realism) in the game, but they are there to be used if desired, not ignored.
    However, if you enforce altitude and speed changes, then they become less useful as the game goes on, players needing to use faster manoeuvres and more climbs/dives to correct altitude and maintain contact with the enemy.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Vladimir
    Sorties Flown

Tonight game show that immelmann is not used often as I thought it would, my idea was when someone got near me behind i do immelmann and surprise him with some good bursts from guns...but it didn't happen.. maybe once in whole game. I like that aspect of game where in one minute you think oh great he is gone on next move and than realize that we end on different side of table

Similar Missions

1. Strategy Advice
    By RJames in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-22-2018, 20:31
  2. Central England New Wings of Glory player - Literally just a few days with no experience
    By peejaycee in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-09-2017, 14:14
  3. New player, need some help and advice on what to do next concerning cards...
    By sgtshamrock in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-14-2013, 05:52
  4. New Player Purchasing Advice
    By Dwarflord22 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2011, 16:02
  5. New Player Purchasing Advice
    By Dwarflord22 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-01-2011, 14:16