Ares Games

Thread: NM Rookie - One of the 50 is missing

Default NM Rookie - One of the 50 is missing

I discovered WW1 Aerial combat thru Arch Whitehouse in the late 60s and WW2 in the air from Reach for the Sky about the same time. About 15 years ago I used to play Canvas Eagles/Blue Max in 1/72nd scale. Planes on Stilts some called it. I thought this scale wouldn't take up so much room to play.

Old Fart 60+

Welcome. I have several books by Arch Whitehouse and used to build 1/72 scale WWI model airplanes. I actually have a small cabinet full of unbuilt ones I would like to get rid of. Wings of Glory is the first WWI war-game I have played.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Welcome to the Aerodrome John from another 60+ old fart. I hope you have a local gamer or two to share in the fun of Wings of Glory, WWI and/or WW2. If not, there is a solo system and campaigns you can join in.

Hello John glad to see another young one amongst us.
    I am 69 and I am sure there are many of us who can beat that score.
    There is a sale/trade/wanted classified section in the market section of these forums that might help you dispose of any unwanted model kits You could also advertise them on EBay. I hope you enjoy this game as much as all the others you have played.

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    Welcome. I have several books by Arch Whitehouse and used to build 1/72 scale WWI model airplanes. I actually have a small cabinet full of unbuilt ones I would like to get rid of. Wings of Glory is the first WWI war-game I have played.
    I have read Squadron 44 and The Years of the Sky Kings from the Library. I have several of the Osprey Duels including the one where a FE2b observer/gunner from 20 Squadron shot the Red Baron in the head.

I have ordered Famous Aces for WW1 and Dawn of War for WW2. There are 4 of us in Albuquerque that have some planes. Now we just need to get together and play.

If my replies seem disjointed, Hopefully, I'll figure it out.

Billy Joe -Piano Man:
    There's an old man sittin' next to me
    Makin' love to his tonic and gin
    He says son can you play me a memory?
    I'm not really sure how it goes
    But it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete
    When I wore a younger man's clothes

I may have read more of Arch's Books, but like the old man, it was a long time ago and I can't be sure by just looking at the titles.
    Last edited by john1864eyes; 03-18-2021 at 14:51.

welcome to the drome from a 56 year "youngster" (who doesnt feel so young lol) John!!! yeah, they do take up less space on the table. also their diminutive size also hides repaint errors, as long as close scrutiny is avoided lol.

Welcome aboard John, from another of the under 60 brigade.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

...and one from across the pond (for another two months anyway when I join the 60 brigade).

Firstly welcome from Dear old Blighty John.
    I am sure you will find the game all you hoped for and more.
    You lot want to get some time in. Covid permitting I will be 74 at the start of next week.

Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by john1864eyes View Post
    I discovered WW1 Aerial combat thru Arch Whitehouse in the late 60s and WW2 in the air from Reach for the Sky about the same time. About 15 years ago I used to play Canvas Eagles/Blue Max in 1/72nd scale. Planes on Stilts some called it. I thought this scale wouldn't take up so much room to play.

Old Fart 60+
    Huzzah! I am not so old! (54 here) Nice to meet ya fella!

“You are green, it is true; but they are green also. You are all green alike.” ~ Lincoln

Welcome to the show!

(welcoming head bobs) from the lizard here on the East Coast.

Be sure to check out the files section for add-ons like solo campaigns, "unofficial" aircraft, scenarios, custom rules, etc.

Other question? Ask away, we're a friendly bunch here.

And on personal note: I've only been out to New Mexico once or twice, have friends out there. Beautiful country for sure. And congrats on becoming an old fart. it's certainly one of my goals in life: right now, I'm just a middle-aged fart.

I thought I was in the upper age bracket when I picked my "call sign" /"user name" for this site. At that time, I was 8 years younger, but still not an "old guy" amongst this group. I had played a few WWI aviation games in the past, but none that captured the feeling of dogfighting like Wings of War/Glory, in such a simplistic, but realistic, way.

Love this game!

Welcome to the game, and a great site!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Welcome, John! Hope you enjoy the game and the forum

Welcome, John, from Portland, Oregon.
    In a cuplla years they can call me septugenarian

Welcome to the 'Drome, John, from another aspiring-to-be old fart.

If you have any questions, fire away.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    welcome to the drome from a 56 year "youngster" (who doesnt feel so young lol) John!!! yeah, they do take up less space on the table. also their diminutive size also hides repaint errors, as long as close scrutiny is avoided lol.
    I see you use the same painting standard I do, 4' away-good, 4" away-bad.

I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane Waylon Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    (welcoming head bobs) from the lizard here on the East Coast.

Be sure to check out the files section for add-ons like solo campaigns, "unofficial" aircraft, scenarios, custom rules, etc.

Other question? Ask away, we're a friendly bunch here.

And on personal note: I've only been out to New Mexico once or twice, have friends out there. Beautiful country for sure. And congrats on becoming an old fart. it's certainly one of my goals in life: right now, I'm just a middle-aged fart.
    I'm in Albuquerque. Where are your friends?

I'm in Albuquerque. Where are your friends?
    Los Alamos area.

Default Welcome John!

Old Fart 60+

Welcome from the 'other' other side of the pond...
    I too used to play with planes on stilts (about 5ft tall stilts...), but 40 years ago in my middle teens.
    That's when I developed my all encompassing love of Spads. I still love the lines.
    You'll find the forum a great place to hang out & it's members great people!

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    I actually have a small cabinet full of unbuilt ones I would like to get rid of.
    Same here! Albeit, not a cabinet, just a couple of plastic storage containers...oh, and a few in a cupboard...
    My hope was always to build them & display them in a nice cabinet 'when I got older'.
    Well, I'm not really all that old yet, but my eyes & hands aren't up to doing a decent job anymore.
    I'm thinking of sending all my kits to Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre or The Vintage Aviator Museum, to see if they can make some use of them.

Welcome John from another 74 year old git. Getting a bit slow in my dotage, which is why its taken me so long to post this welcome. But its just as warm for being late Warmer than here right now, at least, in Devon UK Like everyone else here - just love this game and the community

Welcome to the Aerodrome, John, from here in the United Kingdom.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

Welcome from Southern AZ and another 60 ye old old fart.
    I'm in Tucson, far south east side (Vail/Rita Ranch area).

Similar Missions

1. when is a Rookie no longer a Rookie
    By camel crew in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-13-2020, 00:43
  2. What am I missing?
    By matt56 in forum BSG: General Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-09-2019, 02:58
  3. Rookie
    By pkent in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 25