Ares Games
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Slay the Drachens - Play by PM Game - Finished

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Boom, 1:35, enough damage to take me out, 3:18. Odds against me, 1:210. This is why I don't gamble for $$.

Did I do any damage to the balloon? Being the last to shoot at it I may have caused my own demise.
    Not a Boom card, just too much damage whilst on fire to cause the explosion.

There have been several previous collisions/explosions from the C deck this game which all seem to have drawn relatively low numbers (certainly below average) unfortunately for you the laws of chance decide to even things up.

Sadly your sights seem to be misaligned and you failed to cause any damage to the balloon with your gunfire.

I was mistaken, odds were not in my favor but against me, whatever they were. Still, I won't gamble for $$. (sorry Chris, you'll never get me into a poker game)

Ouch. Well, I probably didn't feel a thing!

I guess I now have some time to work on the next mission.

I guess I now have some time to work on the next mission.
    Make sure it involves more durable planes and fire cards are replaced with donuts.

turn 9 in

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Make sure it involves more durable planes and fire cards are replaced with donuts.

turn 9 in
    I'm going to try some new ideas, one of then being Andy will fly a plane with 1 damage point remaining.

turn 9 in
    Don't blame me, you chaps wanted something different from the usual dogfights.

Who else is there to blame?

Great game. Thanks for running it. REP.

Hang in there Dave!

I'm going to try some new ideas, one of then being Andy will fly a plane with 1 damage point remaining.
    Don't be like that. I'm sorry Peter. (Maybe don't fly so close to the balloons in future).

Won't get many shots at it if you try to stay at long range. The (short) life of a balloon buster...

I thought this was a great game! Thanks! I appreciate all your effort into this Andy!!!!!

Still, I won't gamble for $$. (sorry Chris, you'll never get me into a poker game)
    ok ok, we can play for planes.

ok ok, we can play for planes.
    Technically - still gambling.

Turn 9 in, but "It's all over bar shoutin' ..."

Gotta love the E.III climb rate.

See you in turn 18, Dave.

Cue a gratuitous partial mis-quote:
    "...Nothing else in the world smells like that.... I love the smell of burning sausage in the morning..."

Turn 9 in

Unlucky Peter - that was an Icarus moment !
    Last edited by flash; 03-24-2021 at 09:06.

"He is wise who watches"

"We train young men to drop fire on balloons, but their commanders won't allow them to write 'f***' on their airplanes because it's obscene!"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

Cue a gratuitous partial mis-quote:
    "...Nothing else in the world smells like that.... I love the smell of burning sausage in the morning..."
    We will have brand new balloons up first thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Urai

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of IMG_20200918_203021.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	299168

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Urai View Post
    Maybe you can do a better job of protecting those.. If you make it back.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    We're surrounded by enemy ground and air units - we have have them just where we want them..
    The poor bastards !
    The good thing about being surrounded, you can shoot in any direction .....

And he will crash because???? He will still be flying around, like the Chuck Norris Knight of the sky!

9.1 – Stumptonian stalls in preparation for a Split-S whilst Malachi banks left back towards the Morane. Flash also stalls prior to performing a Split-S. Sam Urai banks left to follow him.

9.2 – Stumptonian performs his Split-S and is now guarding Malachi’s six. Malachi continues to bank left and now looks to head Flash off before he can escape. Sam Urai has climbed whilst Flash has performed his Split-S and the two exchange fire. Smoke pours from the Morane.

9.3 – Sam Urai turns in behind Flash allowing his Observer a clear shot at the belly of the Morane. Malachi has climbed and also opens fire on Flash. Sacre Bleu! The Hun are everywhere.

Last edited by Sauerkraut; 03-24-2021 at 11:28.

Hmm... turn 10 turned in.

Jump Flash Jump!

turn 10 submitted

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	299173

Turn 10 submitted.

Oh how I wish WoG provided 2 climb cards ....

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerkraut View Post
    With a loud bang the balloon finally succumbs to the flames and explodes. ...
    Balloon kill for the successful (& unfortunately crushed) rocketeer?
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Balloon kill for the successful (& unfortunately crushed) rocketeer?
    A share of one at least Sven - turn 10 in.

"He is wise who watches"

10.1 – Flash climbs out of Sam Urai’s range but doesn’t fool Malachi, who has sideslipped towards him and gives him another burst. Elsewhere Stumptonian turns towards the fleeing Morane.

10.2 – Flash turns towards the attack and passes just above the onrushing Malachi. Stumptonian struggles to gain altitude whilst Sam Urai continues to turn towards the fray.

10.3 – Flash turns left, whilst Malachi sideslips and they end up flying parallel to each other. Sam Urai continues to bank left and Stumptonian narrowly avoids a collision by sideslipping right.

From the clouds you hear 4 ghostly voices, "Go Flash, you can do it"!

Turn 11 in.

Flash! Flash! Take Ming the Terrible down!!!! OOPS! Wrong movie!!! Flash! Go Flash!!!

As one shepherd said to the other when the wolves came along "Time to get the flock out of here !" 11 up.

"He is wise who watches"

11.1 – Flash banks left whilst Malachi sideslips right and they cross paths once again. Sam Urai struggles to gain height in the Albatros whilst Stumptonian has banked right to try and avoid colliding with the big two-seater.

11.2 –Flash banks right and Malachi banks left and once more the two protagonists are unable to bring their guns to bear as they cross. Stumptonian climbs this time whilst Sam Urai puts in a little distance and gains separation from the Eindecker.

11.3 – Flash makes good his escape although Malachi is still in hot pursuit. Stumptonian and Sam Urai are left in control of the field.

Both German balloons have been downed but with the loss of four Entente aircraft it has been a costly mission and a hard-fought draw.

Entente (2 x Balloons @ 10 pts each) 20 pts

Central Powers (4 x Aircraft @ 5pts each) 20pts

I hope everyone enjoyed that and thank you for taking part.

Thanks for an entertaining game, Andy.

Well-deserved REP inbound.

Individual Performances.

Malachi - 2 Kills

Teaticket – 1 Balloon Kill

Sam Urai – 1 Kill

German Balloons – 1 Kill.

Camelbeagle, Flash and Marechallannes share 1 Balloon Kill

Turn 4

Marechallannes (Shot down by Sam Urai) – Damage taken from: Sam Urai (11), Malachi (2).

Turn 5

Zenlizard (Shot down by Malachi) - Damage taken from: Sam Urai (8), Malachi (3), Stumptonian (1).

Balloon S (Shot down by Teaticket) – Damage taken from: Teaticket (18), Marechallannes (2) and Sam Urai’s Collisions (8).

Turn 7

Camelbeagle (Shot down by Malachi) – Damage taken from: Colliding with Balloons (9), Malachi (2).

Turn 8

Balloon N (Shot down by Marechallannes, Flash and Camelbeagle) – Damage taken from: Marechallannes (11), Flash (9), Camelbeagle (8).

Teaticket (Shot down by exploding German Balloons) – Damage taken from: Exploding German Balloons (12).

I survived!

Great fun everyone!

Thanks, Andy! I think the Germans were fortunate to get a draw
    Good times

Good scenario gang, as usual, a pleasure to witness.

Thanks, Andy! I think the Germans were fortunate to get a draw
    Good times
    Very fortunate I think. Camelbeagle practically killed himself wirh his collisions whilst Teaticket only suffered damage from exploding balloons. But such are the fortunes of war.

Thanks everyone, great game, screw points, we achieved our objective, they didn't. The plan worked, so I claim a pyrrhic victory on behalf of my late colleagues !
    The MS was a pig to fly but it survived and got me home so shouldn't complain. I was very pleased with the damage I managed to inflict on the balloon (without flying into it !), if nothing else it seems.
    Seeing how little damage the Hun had I'm glad I bugged out when I did and denied them a clear points victory.

"He is wise who watches"

Great game, thanks again Andy.

In a couple of days I'll post openings for the next game. I'm pushing it to 9 players. It will be an aerodrome raid.

In a couple of days I'll post openings for the next game. I'm pushing it to 9 players. It will be an aerodrome raid.
    Looking forward to it Peter.

I think the balloons should have earned Ace skills!!! They were pretty vicious!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    I think the balloons should have earned Ace skills!!! They were pretty vicious!
    That's a bit like you banging your head against the wall and saying it's a good fighter !

We should drop a Croix de Guerre on John's 'drome for his contribution to the cause !

"He is wise who watches"

Andy as Billy Bishop v the rest Peter ?!
    Count me in

"He is wise who watches"

Rumour has it that I could just fly around for a bit then go home and claim to have shot you all down!
    (Not a rumour that I subscribe to. The man was undoubtedly brave and an ace pilot and very few WW1 pilots lists of claimed victories stand up 100% to scrutiny. Many of the German records are missing or have provably incorrect data. He was probably no better or worse than anyone else for over claiming).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. AAR SND- International Skype Game - Slay the Leviathan - 8/9 June 2013
    By OldGuy59 in forum Saturday Night Dogfight
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-24-2013, 06:55
  2. Slay the Leviathan - Solo Trial
    By OldGuy59 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-14-2013, 12:04
  3. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-10-2013, 10:13
  4. Burning Drachens vs Fire from the Sky, which is better as 1st game.
    By Ocracoke in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-24-2011, 17:10
  5. Solo play with Burning Drachens
    By stevenh in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2010, 09:26