Ares Games
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Slay the Drachens - Play by PM Game - Finished

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerkraut View Post
    ...Most of them head towards the Balloons although it appears that Zenlizard and Marechallannes may not have been paying attention at the briefing....
    Starting to wonder why we bothered having one...
    Still, it looks like Dan is on target next move - I'm in on the other, unopposed

"He is wise who watches"

Stay on target! Stay on target!

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Turn 1 in. Sorry about the delay, was playing D & D yesterday evening, and I didn't get the e-mails that things were set up until this morning.
    Let me guess...Chaotic Neutral Bard!

Looks like I'm attracting 2 of the Hun planes. That should free up the rest of you to do the job.

Turn 2 on the way.

So Pete, we meet again on the flank of the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    They probably are Chris but that's irrelevant, just use the mates deck. 19 = up; 20 = down.
    Yeah, I noticed this on turn 1, but didn't want to post publicly, so as to not give anything away. Unfortunately, it is actually more confusing, since the others are probably doing like I am, and planning out their moves with an actual deck. 'Tany rate, I checked for the E deck, and other than the climb/dive, the numbers from the original deck match up with the numbers on the MATES deck. I'll just try and remember that the climb and dive are reversed, and add a written descriptor anyway.

Turn 2 submitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    So Pete, we meet again on the flank of the battle.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Hoping to avoid Engine Damage this time ...

And Booms! Mustn't forget Booms!

Turn 2 sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Hoping to avoid Engine Damage this time ...

And Booms! Mustn't forget Booms!

Turn 2 sent.
    Yeah, that was both of us last time up. Let's not repeat.

2.1 - Teaticket dives under the onrushing Eindecker. Camelbeagle begins his attack run and launches all his rockets at the southern balloon. Sam Urai and Stumptonian have begun to turn towards him but will they be quick enough to disrupt the rocket attack? Flash slips left and opens fire on the northern balloon. Marechallannes is just too far away to do the same and seems to have attracted Malachi’s attention.

2.2 - Camelbeagle continues his straight run at the balloon and fortunately for him Sam Urai and Stumptonian are unable to bring their guns to bear. His luck ends there though as despite executing a perfect attack the rockets fail to explode and bounce harmlessly off the balloon! The Armourer is in for a torrid time when Camelbeagle returns. Teaticket meanwhile has slipped left and shot up the southern balloon so at least it has taken some damage. In the north Flash stalls and fires once more into the northern balloon. Marechallannes and Malachi are both just out of range of their respective targets.

2.3 - Flash slips right and manages to get another burst into the northern balloon, this time at close range. Marechallannes launches his rockets at the balloon this time but comes under fire from Malachi himself. Following the disappointment of his dud rockets, Camelbeagle banks left to avoid colliding with his target. Stumptonian is tracking him but comes under fire himself from the newly arriving Zenlizard. Teaticket stalls and gets another burst into the southern balloon setting it on fire!

Last edited by Sauerkraut; 03-20-2021 at 04:29.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

A burning balloon is a good balloon!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Turn 2 in!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karo7 View Post
    A burning balloon is a good balloon!
    Unless you’re in it

Turn 3 is submitted

Bravo Peter, well done, did you bring the crumpets ?!
    3 Up !

"He is wise who watches"

Rockets away...
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Get you Bullet away from this sausage, Dave...

Bravo Peter, well done, did you bring the crumpets ?!
    3 Up !
    I have a few extra crumpets for anyone (except the Hun) that would like one. Give me a minute, first one's almost done.

Ok Sven, let it rip! I hope you didn't get your rockets from the same armorer as camelbeagle.

3 in.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Get your Bullet away from this sausage, Dave...
    Bit late for that my friend - we shall brave the conflagration together !

"He is wise who watches"

good turn of action chaps

This has been my lot lately. Jammed guns and bad rockets! WTF!!!!!! Need to examine the sky and figure a new battle plan!

Teaticket stalls and gets another burst into the southern balloon setting it on fire!
    Fire to a balloon, the gift that keeps on giving.

How exactly is overlapping with a balloon worked out? I see camelbeagle at A5 and the balloon end the turn at A5. Does Dan have the next movement card to get out of overlapping or does this constitute a collision?

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    How exactly is overlapping with a balloon worked out? I see camelbeagle at A5 and the balloon end the turn at A5. Does Dan have the next movement card to get out of overlapping or does this constitute a collision?
    I have been discussing that very thing with Flash as the rulebook doesn't seem completely clear on the matter. The balloon does not drop altitude until after the end of the turn so should be at A5 C1 in photo 2.3 (I will correct it this morning). It only seems fair to then resolve any collisions after a movement phase. Fortunately for Dan this means he has a card to get outbof the way of the descending balloon.

I still have the headache !

"He is wise who watches"

The fire on the southernmost balloon appears to be spreading fast.

3.1 - Camelbeagle slips out from under the southern balloon narrowly avoiding its cables as it continues to be winched rapidly earthwards. Zenlizard overshoots Stumptonian and is greeted by a burst of Spandau fire from Sam Urai’s observer. Malachi follows Marechallannes and gives him another burst as he completes his rocket attack but fails to put him off. The rockets hit the rear of the balloon and there is a disappointingly small explosion and flames have started to spread slowly across the balloon’s fabric envelope. Elsewhere, Flash and Teaticket have completed their first attack runs on the balloons.

3.2 - Marechallannes has misjudged his distance from the balloon and collided with it but no serious damage appears to have been done. He and Camelbeagle use the flexibility of their wing mounted Lewis guns to pour more fire into the northern balloon. Flash banks left to line up another attack run, whilst Teaticket Immelmanns and puts more rounds into the southern balloon which is burning fiercely now. Elsewhere there is a lot of manoeuvring, but clever use of altitude means that no one has a clear shot.

3.3 - Camelbeagle now collides with northern balloon but again no serious damage appears to result. He pours more Lewis fire into the beast ably assisted by Flash on his starboard wingtip. Marechallannes now heads towards the southern balloon but is just out of range whilst Teaticket’s gun remains strangely silent. Zenlizard completes his Immelmann turn and gets another burst from Sam Urai’s observer for his trouble. The action is now spread across three altitude levels and acquiring targets is proving tough.

...The action is now spread across three altitude levels and acquiring targets is proving tough...
    Oh, I don't know, acquiring balloons seems quite straight forward !

Good shot with the rockets Sven - now we have two burning drachens - ah-ah ahh !
    Turn 4 in.
    Last edited by flash; 03-20-2021 at 08:10.

"He is wise who watches"

Well, misjudged that turn.

Turn 4 in!

Turn 4 submitted

Misjudged that altitude more like - if only you'd climbed !

"He is wise who watches"

But somehow you still got off a shot!

T4 in.

Target focus.. It can kill ya !

"He is wise who watches"

Planes can collide with balloon at same alt but still shoot it?

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Maybe I'm taking the rule too literally, but it specifies at the same altitude when overlapping either both with or both without climb counters and in firing arc counts as close range.

Two rules:
    1. The gamesmaster is always right.

2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.

No worries I was just trying to grasp the rule which I admit has eluded me.

No worries I was just trying to grasp the rule which I admit has eluded me.
    Don't worry Chris, I had to read it more than once to work it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Two rules:
    1. The gamesmaster is always right.

2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
    Except if I make an error, (we're all human) then please do message me

Except if I make an error, (we're all human) then please do message me
    Well,, yes, I was referring to rule INTERPRETATIONS or modifications, as opposed to outright error. We're essentially on the same page here.

Good shot with the rockets Sven - now we have two burning drachens - ah-ah ahh !
    Turn 4 in.
    I wanted the remains of this sausage folded around our planes, Dave!

At all it burns...

Turn 4 on the way.

We discussed this with Andrea before. Collisions do not prevent shooting and with this upper wing gun shooting at overlaping targets is possible, as long they are in the firing arc. (Except the target has no climb counters and the shooter has)

Andrea: When the firing plane has a higher machinegun and a target overlaps its firing cone...

Target plane one level higher: fire at it long range.
    Target plane at same level with climb counters, firing plane without climb counters: fire at short range but not collision.
    Target plane at same level without climb counters, firing plane without climb counters: fire at short range and check for collision.
    Target plane at same level with climb counters, firing plane with climb counters: fire at short range and check for collision.
    Target plane at same level without climb counters, firing plane with climb counters: neither fire nor collision.
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...al-Rules-lt-lt
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...Collision-rule

"He is wise who watches"

The flames continues to eat away at the fabric of both balloons.

4.1 – Sam Urai banks right and catches Marechallannes with a quick burst causing smoke to trail from the Nieuport. Marechallannes seems to be trying to change the drum mag on his Lewis gun and did not see the big Albatros bearing down on him. Camelbeagle dives under the northern balloon and fires his Lewis gun up into its belly. Zenlizard and Stumptonian exchange shots at long range and the Nieuport catches fire. Elsewhere Flash banks left above the northern balloon and Teaticket continues to hammer at his malfunctioning weapon.

4.2 – Totally intent on the aircraft filling his sights Sam Urai flies into the southern balloon. Fabric tears and cables shear as he seems to cause a fair amount of damage to the already burning balloon. He does manage to fire another long burst into the smoking Nieuport, and its engine starts to cough. Malachi and Zenlizard exchange hand signals as the latter dives past. Stumptonian cannot understand why Zenlizard isn’t firing at him as the Nieuport looms closer. Camelbeagle, Flash and Teaticket are all preparing for further attack runs on their respective balloon targets.

4.3 – Marechallannes has cleared his gun and fires into the southern balloon. Sam Urai continues to focus totally on his intended victim tearing more of the balloon’s envelope and shearing more cables. There is a loud crack as something in his airframe snaps and the Albatros shudders. Once more he fires a long burst at close range into the Nieuport and Marechallannes spins wildly before plunging to the ground. Camelbeagle performs an Immelmann and once more fires at the northern balloon whilst Flash continues to reposition his monoplane. Meanwhile Teaticket and Malachi both perform Immelmanns to head back towards the action whilst high above Stumptonian banks towards the southern balloon. Zenlizard heads between the two balloons as the fire eats away at his fragile craft.

At all I brought the rocktes into target.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    At all I brought the rocktes into target.
    You fulfilled a most dangerous mission that only the bravest would fly.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. AAR SND- International Skype Game - Slay the Leviathan - 8/9 June 2013
    By OldGuy59 in forum Saturday Night Dogfight
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-24-2013, 06:55
  2. Slay the Leviathan - Solo Trial
    By OldGuy59 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-14-2013, 12:04
  3. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-10-2013, 10:13
  4. Burning Drachens vs Fire from the Sky, which is better as 1st game.
    By Ocracoke in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-24-2011, 17:10
  5. Solo play with Burning Drachens
    By stevenh in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2010, 09:26