Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: March Workbench 2021

Default March Workbench 2021

Slow month it seems...

Two more Valom Sopwith Pups - in preparation for the next OTT campaign. The 'Chin Chow' is one of the decal options that comes with the Valom kit for Lt AS Lee, 46 Sqn. The light blue one is an inspiration based on the 'Suds' Sopwith Camel with a light blue scheme. I started this scheme with Nieuport 11 in the current OTT campaign.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sopwith Pup - Chin Chow 1.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	298646 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sopwith Pup - Chin Chow 2.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	298645
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 03-13-2021 at 16:42.

Really nice, Paul. Love those!

Yes, a fine pair of Pups!

Rep!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

A couple of RAF Shapeways DH2 - both 24 Sqn: 5924 - David Mary Tidmarsh (CDL) and 5964 - Lanoe George Hawker. Miscmini decals - yes, Tim (Flying Helmut) is right, the roundels are a wee bit too small. I was going to use the Miscmini '4' decal on the CDL but took Tim's research to heart and went with Hawker and Tidmarsh.

Also. the Shapeways models were a delight compared to the frustration of the Reviresco metal one.

Name:	DH2 24 Sqn v1.jpg 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	298654 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DH2 24 Sqn v2.jpg 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	298653

Oooo, great Pups Paul. DH2s also!

Thanks, chaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Oooo, great Pups Paul. DH2s also!
    It's all part of the OTT grand plan - except the DH2s were overtaken by events. I've got two more Valom Pups so I'll be ready to go for the start of the next campaign - need some Shapeways Sopwith Tripes to finish it though, but looking further ahead I've got 6 Valom Sopwith Camels to do. That'll take me to the end of the war. In the meantime....I'm repainting a couple of Ares Albatros DIII as Jasta 30 planes - yikes!!!

Nice Kites Bob

Did a few DH2's myself a while back.

Seems I blasted my quota so will be backing off on posting pics I am afraid. Will still be watching though, keep em coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Seems I blasted my quota so will be backing off on posting pics I am afraid. Will still be watching though, keep em coming.
    Well that's unfortunate, always enjoy seeing your stuff, Ken.

Is there a way to check quota? I've looked at different settings but don't see anything.

Just finished this, this month.

Name:	Vickers 7.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	298720

Chris, I am not a paying subscriber so have limited storage. Suspect I have been pushing the issue for a while. Fair is fair so If I am at my limit then that is it. Will take a look later and see what I have to delete from other posts to open space.

OK, burned everything posted before 2019, should give me some wiggle room. May have burned a how to thread now that I think on it though.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 03-15-2021 at 13:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike George View Post
    Just finished this, this month.

Name:	Vickers 7.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	298720
    Looking good

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Chris, I am not a paying subscriber so have limited storage. Suspect I have been pushing the issue for a while. Fair is fair so If I am at my limit then that is it. Will take a look later and see what I have to delete from other posts to open space.
    Revisit your photos - if you can reduce the pixel x pixel numbers they take up less space, freeing up more capacity for new images.

I resize all my pictures now, never bigger than 750 pixels x ? 400
    I used to use 1200 or more: this means my pictures use less than half the capacity that they used to.

Nice repaints, Mike. Rep incoming.

Work in process on a 1972 very low detail Tamiya Ki-84. Every single seam needed putty and extensive sanding. Fit was terrible, with gaps you could throw a cat through. I sanded off all the raised panel lines and recurved new ones. The I looked over drawings and pictures to get an approximation of the rivet pattern and scribed them in. You have to look close to see the million little rivets. Also, so far, no decals. All markings are masked and painted with hand cut masks except for the numbers. I was lucky and found a couple paint stencils in the pile that worked. Note the hairspray chipping at the wing roots and where pilots and crew spend time. Still lots to go, but it’s been a long process. I probably spent a week of my limited free time adding the rivets. They really add a lot when looking at it in person. One bummer is I figured out you can’t put the pilot in after assembly. I was all ready to paint him up, but guess I won’t waste any time on it now. I wanted to put all my tricks into this model and turn a $14 item into something that looks like an expensive modern kit. Next plane I build will be an Eduard for sure. Having lots of fun though....

Name:	IMG_2270.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	298947

Name:	IMG_2271.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	298948

Name:	IMG_2272.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	298949

Awesome Dave. It will look a little big fighting my Corsairs though.

Just make the canopy open and the pilot bailing out

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Awesome Dave. It will look a little big fighting my Corsairs though.
    I know, but I need to go to larger scale from time to time to get the technical detail fix. Can’t seem to do that with 1/200. With that said, I’m going to try and reproduce this scheme in 1/200 as soon as I get the new AIM models due out. Then Peter, it will fit in with those Corsairs of yours. The Ki-84 was pretty much the only plane the Japanese had that had a fair chance against them.

I do have three 1/200 Mk I Blenheims in the oven though. They are almost ready to roll. I’m just wrapping up the scratch-built gun pod I made to covert one of them to a Mk If.

I’ve also gone insane and picked up a few ship models, including a 1/200 Scharnhorst. We’ll be seeing that here over the next year or so.

Amazing work as always, Dave.
    Your attention to detail is incredible.

I’ve also gone insane and picked up a few ship models, including a 1/200 Scharnhorst.
    Insanity confirmed.

But I can't wait to see it.

rep guns jammed. nice work dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dak21 View Post
    I’ve also gone insane and picked up a few ship models, including a 1/200 Scharnhorst. We’ll be seeing that here over the next year or so.
    Yeh, I went that insane route a couple years ago: now 2 totes of models waiting for production time
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Getting near the end of March now... A little test print for my brand new toy...

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	299127

Quote Originally Posted by decapod View Post
    Getting near the end of March now... A little test print for my brand new toy...

Oh my! 4 double bi-planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Yeh, I went that insane route a couple years ago: now 2 totes of models waiting for production time
    Karl
    Just two totes? I call that some serious self control!

Little painting done over the last month (2 months to be honest), but a lot of 3D printing. The aeronautical stuff includes Black Widows, Polikarpovs, SM79s, Fiat Bristol, Heinkel 100s, Spanish Furies and a couple of AD2 Scouts.

Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quadruple Quadriplanes!

I can feel Chris (Boney10)'s palpitations from here... somebody get him a stiff drink, QUICK!

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    I can feel Chris (Boney10)'s palpitations from here... somebody get him a stiff drink, QUICK!
    He'll be fine, it's a FK10 not a tripe, besides the wing spacing looks right.

"He is wise who watches"

How'd they turn out?

With a decent resin printer, I think we can easily exceed the detail of Ares, most Shapeways materials, and kits... now we just need purpose-made stls.

Quote Originally Posted by driph View Post
    How'd they turn out?
    With a decent resin printer, I think we can easily exceed the detail of Ares, most Shapeways materials, and kits... now we just need purpose-made stls.
    Will have to wait a bit more to find out, screwed up my order for the cleaning alcohol. Probably next week before I get it running.
    It's an Anycubic Photon Mono resin printer.
    The checks say it should take about 5 hours to print those and cost about Ł1 in material.

I've got just one or two suitable STL's available to me (one or two hundred that is )

Very nice work keep it up.

Will have to wait a bit more to find out, screwed up my order for the cleaning alcohol. Probably next week before I get it running.
    It's an Anycubic Photon Mono resin printer.
    The checks say it should take about 5 hours to print those and cost about Ł1 in material.

I've got just one or two suitable STL's available to me (one or two hundred that is )
    If you haven't yet, experiment with some designs that are even higher detail than your Shapeways models, these things can knock out some stunning prints.

Btw, when printing miniatures and similar on a mono printer, I've found a 30 micron layer height to be my best bang for the buck in terms of visual acuity and time/success printing.

Congrats on the new kite factory. :]

What kind of plane is this?

Wanted to have an individual Hannover for club meets so picked up a Hannover CLIIIa Luftskraftkreite WGF208C for a repaint.

Name:	Hannover-1.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	299368

Extended the Yellow on it's nose, and added yellow to the rear struts on the tail. So far resisted the urge to paint the others.

Name:	Hannover-2.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	299369

Carefully painted out the fuselage decal, leaving the arrow, and added a coat of arms decal from an old tank kit in it's place.

Name:	Hannover-4.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	299370

Very pleased with how it came out. Now have a fourth for events and a individual one for weekly meets when they re-start.

"He is wise who watches"

Very clever, Dave. Looks great

Blind Hans will be delighted with the upgrade.
    Last edited by malachi; 03-29-2021 at 07:26.

That Hannover looks superb!

Sweet Hannover Dave. I'm sure it will quickly be recognized as a force to be reckoned with. I strongly agree with Chris, Blind Hans will enjoy his new ride.

Wonderful looking plane Flash!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    ...Blind Hans will be delighted with the upgrade.
    Thanks chaps, I'm sure he will !

Name:	Blind Hans 250.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	299388

"He is wise who watches"

You have made a cracking job of that Dave.
    Splendid looking kite.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

That’s a great Hanover Dave, well done,

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Nice one, Dave!

Nice repaint there Dave, hope to see it at some point soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. What's on your January workbench? 2021
    By Karo7 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 05-17-2022, 05:46
  2. February Workbench 2021
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 04-19-2021, 04:56
  3. March 2020 Workbench