Ares Games

Thread: Valom Sopwith Pups - Chin Chow and a Fictional scheme

Default Valom Sopwith Pups - Chin Chow and a Fictional scheme

Two more Valom Sopwith Pups - in preparation for the next OTT campaign. The 'Chin Chow' is one of the decal options that comes with the Valom kit for Lt AS Lee, 46 Sqn. The light blue one is an inspiration based on the 'Suds' Sopwith Camel with a light blue scheme. I started this scheme with Nieuport 11 in the current OTT campaign.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sopwith Pup - Chin Chow 1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	298644 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sopwith Pup - Chin Chow 2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	298643
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 03-13-2021 at 16:43.

Really nice blue one

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    Really nice blue one
    One of my RNAS squadron pilots for the OTT campaign is currently in a light blue Nieuport 11. In the next OTT campaign (hopefully there's a next one) he'll start in a the light blue Sopwith Pup above. Eventually, if we get there, he'll fly the light blue Sopwith Camel, C1555 'Suds', which is an historical paint scheme - flown by FL Luxmore and SP Gamon of 78 (Home Defence) Squadron.

Of course, that all started because I did a half teal blue / half CDL Nieuport 11 flown by KS Savory of A Flight, RNAS....and a desire to have a colourful squadron for the game. Can't let the Germans and the French have all the fun with colour.

Those are great Pups, Paul. I was just saw a picture of Chin Chow in a book I was reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    Those are great Pups, Paul. I was just saw a picture of Chin Chow in a book I was reading.
    FYI - I used the photo-etched brass bit for struts and tail skid. I was going to drill a hole and use a bit of wire for the tail skid but forgot. So I was 'forced' to use the photo-etched one. Not a disaster as the one for the pup is one of the better ones.

Advice - the guide 'holes' (some are more marks than holes) for the cabane struts are not centred on the wing. The inner most pair are correct. Drill holes equidistant from the centre on the other side which will be a 1mm or so closer to the centre. Same problem for the landing struts. Plus the guide holes for the front cabane struts are at different heights. The story is - check the position for all of the holes for struts and make sure they are in the proper place. If you do that the photo-etched cabane struts are long enough and positioning the landing struts will be much easier.

Chin Chow according to the Collins Dictionary is a city north east of Beijing. I wonder if that is where the pilot was from?

Perhaps not seeing as his full name was Arthur Gould Lee and he authored the book No parachute. Strange name for a plane though.

Super...Just a Little strage light Blue paint scheme
    But
    If u like It, good!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit88 View Post
    Super...Just a Little strage light Blue paint scheme
    But
    If u like It, good!!!!
    The light blue scheme is part of a continuing theme for the OTT campaigns. I need very differently coloured planes as I get easily confused when I've got 3 or more planes per side - which thanks to scenario writing of my mad comrades (and including me) is the case for most scenarios.

Similar Missions

1. Valom Pups
    By Mike White in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-19-2020, 19:54
  2. Valom Sopwith Pups
    By ShadowDragon in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2019, 06:18
  3. WGF SOLD: (2) Sopwith Pups and a Sopwith Triplane
    By rcboater in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2