Ares Games

Thread: Fossil Thoughts

Default Fossil Thoughts

I go to dinner in a pub sometimes and i look around to see almost everyone using their phones. Thumbs moving like crazy and phubbing to the nth degree the users ignore any semblance of polite conversation and it reminds me of what passed for "real" communication of yesterday.

Back in the 60's and 70's I was a Telegraphist in our Australian PMG (Postmaster Generals Department) and we used to use all weird and wonderful machines that pre-dated mobile phones etc. Does anyone remember those TRESS tape machines. I used to sit at one one and type away like crazy for my entire shift hour after hour on those things. We had no nice screens in front of us to see what we typed, we just sensed when we mis hit a letter and back spaced and erased it and then typed in the correct letter. The tape coiled towards the floor and then up into a transmitter where the pin wheel picked up the small holes and dragged it through the transmitter. We REALLY had to whack those keys seeing as it was electro mechanical and needed to punch holes in the tape unlike a computer keyboard of today with soft touch typing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Murray code.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	298332

Were we better off then or now? What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Baxter; 03-08-2021 at 21:52.

My first job after I finished high school was at a stock brokerage.
    The operators in the 'Wire Room' were amazing in their ability to read these tapes and, like you said, knew instinctively where they had made a mistake and how to fix it.

Since they were transmitting confirming information regarding stock purchases across Canada it was kind of important that their transmissions were accurate.
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 03-08-2021 at 14:46. Reason: speelnig errors

I still have reels of superficially similar "ticker-tape" from my father's engineering firm open days.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Smile

Must admit I had never seen anything like that before.
    My only knowledge was of Morse Code & the old hand operated Monroe Adding/calculating machines from the 1950's & an Abacus!

My first computer use in college was with a paper tape storage. I thought it was a rather step down from the punchcards we used in High School.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Always struggled to find somewhere to plug my slate in...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    ..Were we better off then or now? What do you guys think?
    Probably better off then before all the 'tards & f'wits began communicating and believing whatever they see on twatter and such... there should be a test or something before you're allowed on.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Back in the 60's and 70's I was a Telegraphist in our Australian PMG...
    I am far to be such experienced, but I am curious, Gary, how many characters in a minute? I know there were three classes for soldiers: for 60/min, 90/min and 120/min. One of my colleagues was awarded with the 1st class for 120/min and told me he was more listening a music of telegraph than short and long signals.

I go to dinner in a pub sometimes and i look around to see almost everyone using their phones. Thumbs moving like crazy and phubbing to the nth degree the users ignore any semblance of polite conversation and it reminds me of what passed for "real" communication of yesterday.

Were we better off then or now? What do you guys think?
    That's a big question! But, seeing that you were focusing on communications, so will I.

It is sad to see people sitting together, but with their attention on their mobiles, not on the people in the room with them. In the past, there was more likelihood of people actually noticing each other and talking together. However, there were still occasions where people sat in silence, maybe hastily shovelling food into their mouths.

We are better off now when it comes to distant communication. This Forum is a classic example. The obvious camaraderie and genuine concern between Forum members no matter what part of the world they are in is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    I am far to be such experienced, but I am curious, Gary, how many characters in a minute? I know there were three classes for soldiers: for 60/min, 90/min and 120/min. One of my colleagues was awarded with the 1st class for 120/min and told me he was more listening a music of telegraph than short and long signals.
    History is interesting! If I remember rightly the transmitter used to work at a constant 50wpm which meant most operators had to be typing at that or higher all the time unless they stopped the transmitter. (if you did that you could expect a visit from the supervisor pretty quickly too). Those rates you speak of, were they for morse code?

Also, we never used to really read what we typed either. It was character pattern recognition and it was just like music to us too as every character sounded slightly different when the key was struck.

We had to type our computer programs onto punched cards at university.

reminds me of the punch card programs from my moms programming classes homework from way back in the day.

Similar Missions

1. WGS Series 6 thoughts
    By Kermit in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-10-2013, 03:28
  2. Thoughts about scale
    By steel_ratt in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 11-24-2012, 11:52
  3. A Few Thoughts ...
    By Gord in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 3