Bruno Schmaling
    ISBN:
    978-1953201003
    Category:
    History
    Format:
    Paperback
    Summary:
    Jasta Colors Volume 1 is the first volume in a landmark series on this popular and hotly debated subject by the world’s leading authority. This volume gives extensive information on research and sources on this topic supported by 223 photos, 61 documents, 4 color paintings, and 55 color profiles, many not seen before, in its 274 pages.

----------
    As with so many of my great reads, I owe teaticket (Peter) a hearty "thank you" for spending my $$.

The author takes care to provide background for the research. I found the saga of developing his network of contacts interesting, including interviews in the 70's and 80's with pilots and their family members. It establishes the importance of combat reports in analyzing colors/markings and relays how he came upon some from these interviews. Drafts of some plane profiles were done in conjunction with pilots during this time and those are quite fun. There are planes I've not seen before, although others here may have. Also, additional background on some planes and practices relayed in the first-hand stories are great, for example, an interview with Josef Jacobs where he discredits the "god of the north wind" theory regarding his "devil's head spitting fire" personal marking and provides info on how it came to be. Or neat stories like Schulz, as a young boy in 1920, who sneaked past the barriers at an air show to talk to his hero Paul Baumer which resulted in being shown a 2-seater and taken for a flight.

The chapter on gray-scale interpretation is interesting and pretty much discredits its efficacy in my opinion. An excellent chart showing how dramatically different the colors appear with filters is included.

Some of the translation is a bit awkward, and a few typos, but this seems not uncommon these days. The layout can be a bit confusing with Profile Notes appearing on different pages than the images, but once you're in the flow it's ok. The images and background on them are awesome.

I'm enjoying the book for its rigorous scholarship and the nuggets of info described.

What would have been helpful is an index of profiles associated with their Jastas, such as this:
    Jasta Boelcke: p33, 34, 40, 46, 70, 73
    Jasta 5: p111, 120
    Jasta 6: p122
    Jasta 7: p63, 64, 77, 191
    Jasta 9: p127
    Jasta 10: p52
    Jasta 11: p98
    Jasta 12: p195
    Jasta 14: p148
    Jasta 16: p79
    Jasta 17: p104
    Jasta 20: p81
    Jasta 23: p159, 231
    Jasta 26: p59
    Jasta 28: p141, 142
    Jasta 29: p199
    Jasta 30: p100, 145, 155
    Jasta 31: back cover
    Jasta 34: p75, 130
    Jasta 35: p218
    Jasta 36: p176
    Jasta 37: p26, 28, 31, back cover
    Jasta 39: p237
    Jasta 40: p85
    Jasta 49: p202
    Jasta 50: p210
    Jasta 51: p89, back cover
    Jasta 54: p135
    Jasta 56: p93
    Jasta 64: p181
    Jasta 66: p49
    Jasta 68: p164
    Jasta 80: p186
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jasta_colors_contents.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	298330Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jasta_colors_cover.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	678.8 KB 
ID:	298329
    Last edited by malachi; 03-08-2021 at 12:53. Reason: adding attachments

Should be interesting. I have his Jasta 23 and 30 books. If this is like those, it's well worth it.

It's a great book. Not on one Jasta but a smattering of many where known information has been verified.

Very interesting. I have enjoyed my copy!

I'm in two minds.

The factual information is fascinating and the photos and colour Profiles are superb.

The organisation of it all is chaotic and appalling.
    It could have been SO MUCH BETTER!
    "The Jasta Colours" - list them in numerical Jasta order!

Very disappointed.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I agree Tim. A wealth of great information but chaotic organization. I haven't read much of it yet. Chris, do you have any feel on if there is a reason for it's jumbled approach?

I agree it could have been edited or arranged in a more readable fashion that would have been useful to modelers and probably historians. Apart from the editing, it's just a theory, but looking at the Table of Contents for example, it starts with a description and justification of the research methods and ends with some supporting documentation. Sandwiched in between the bulk of the book seems to be sorted by record type, and I think that was gathered mostly chronologically. But it does make it a kind of random read and I agree would have been better by Jasta. Just speculating that a Jasta index wasn't published since that might discourage a few potential buyers? "Hmm, doesn't have Jasta XX in this volume." Also because some are represented by not too much info?

The information is good. It could have used some better organization. But that is the modeller in me. I am thinking they laid the book out in this manner for a reason.

Similar Missions

1. Magazine Review: Over the Front (Volume 32)
    By fast.git in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-05-2018, 19:58
  2. WGSU: The JG 26 War Diary, Volume One 1939-1942
    By Teaticket in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-30-2016, 15:43
  3. WGSI: Battle Colors Volume V
    By Teaticket in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-02-2015, 07:12
  4. Medal of Honor Volume 1 Aviators of World War One