Ares Games

Thread: General Overdive Question

Default General Overdive Question

How do you chaps adjudicate an overdive across multiple turns?

If he plays an overdive three card sequence, finishing on a 'straight', can he then plot three 'straights' as his next move, and choose, card by card, whether to continue overdiving or level out and fly regular 'straight's, depending on the moves of his opponents?
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Interesting question - I've never seen that situation come up, usually because we are too low, or, more likely, the shocking climb rate makes it not worth losing any more height !
    I would think the way to continue would be to select a dive as the first card of the next turn and declare the intention of continuing the dive for the next one of two phases as part of the overdive. This would remove the manoeuvre selection during the turn element as that is unfair on the other players.
    It may be worth setting a 'base' height beyond which you are out of the game, or, setting a limit of overdiving beyond which your wings fold back and you spear yourself into the ground !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Overdive = stall, dive, straight.

so over 2 rounds you could play: round 1: ?, stall, dive / round 2: straight (overdive completed) then for move 2 and 3 can play any cards, but must use the first card to complete the overdive sequence

the three straights would just count as straights because to overdive again would need to use a stall to start the sequence again.

I think its this/that's how I read it - but I might be wrong

The rule definition of an over-dive is as Dan just said, stall - dive - straight. If they wanted to be able to continue the dive with straights I think they could easily have mentioned that. Then as Dave said, it would be an unusual situation as climbing back into the fray is a chore. I've never had anyone ask about doing this in any game I've run.

Similar Missions

1. Fire and overdive
    By Mike Wyant in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2020, 17:21
  2. General balancing question from a rookie
    By Ben UK in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-18-2016, 03:13
  3. Fire/Overdive rules question
    By tusekine in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 15:49
  4. KotA Question for Mission 3c and in general Ground Targets
    By Niemandsland in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-06-2012, 04:33
  5. General question about the basic rules.
    By Tom Cundall in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 23:47