Ares Games

Thread: When you need more firepower!

Default When you need more firepower!

BE 2 from AFC Mesopotamia Flight attached to No. 30 Sqn RFC 1915.

This RFC B.E. 2 has been modified to fire four Lewis Guns under the propeller arc.

IWM photo.

Double A ground strafing
    Wonder if they loaded the bomb racks too with this configuration ?!

"He is wise who watches"

A BE2 probably couldn't lift any more than that - they usually had to leave the observer behind if they were to carry bombs, and that's without any guns.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

That seem to be a very relaxing way of doing strafing missions. (If you leave out the death peril through enemy gun and AA fire).

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    A BE2 probably couldn't lift any more than that - they usually had to leave the observer behind if they were to carry bombs, and that's without any guns.
    They could take 100kg of bombs usually as a single-seater, without a machine gun. There's about 36kg of guns fitted plus ammo so maybe it might crawl into the air with 50kg of bombs as a single seater. That's enough for 4 cooper bombs. I asked only because the racks were still fitted, think they'd whip them off if they're not needed.

"He is wise who watches"

Presages the addition of gun trays and pods for strafing on later aircraft like the Hawker Hurricane and Junkers 87. In fact, most of the techniques used in the Second World War were pioneered in the First, and then forgotten. And in fact, in studyi ng the evolution of aerial warfare, forgotten again, then revived again etc, etc.

Very cool, but the ground crew failed to ArmorAll those tyres.

Now that’s my kind of upgunning !!!!

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Great for a quick run over a trench. Not a long run and can't be reloaded so how effective could they have been? Looks impressive though.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Great for a quick run over a trench. Not a long run and can't be reloaded so how effective could they have been? Looks impressive though.
    Given how effective ground strafing with 2 MGs was to infantry units (casualties and morale), even just 4 X 47rds from a standard lewis tray could wreak havoc with a single pass.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

How did they aim those guns? Maybe the pilot leaned out of his cockpit and used a gun-sight on the side of the plane.

Line the nose up to cross the target and pull the trigger I should think, no need for a gunsight; they'll be spent in 5-6 seconds, 188 rounds down range should be enough to spoil someone's day.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    How did they aim those guns? Maybe the pilot leaned out of his cockpit and used a gun-sight on the side of the plane.
    Absolutely no need - given that this plane was used in Palestine, they were probably strafing columns of camels, horses or supply wagons and trucks rather than sand-filled trenches.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Spray and pray is a military truism,

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

doubt it wouldve been all that effective at actually hitting much of anything as the impact point would be quite a bit "low" of the aim point you were pointing the nose at. it would make an intimidating amount of noise and muzzle flash though.

Similar Missions

1. Firepower Games closing
    By Guntruck in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-22-2020, 17:30
  2. Performing & Firepower of the Bristol Beaufighter
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-16-2013, 23:40
  3. Firepower - Aircraft Armament Links
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 4