Ares Games

Thread: Half a dozen Shapeways WW1 finally finished

Users Country Flag

Name
    david
    Sorties Flown

Default Half a dozen Shapeways WW1 finally finished

I said I'd post a picture or two when I finished these - I've been painting them off and on since Christmas....
    Apologies for the photos, my cameraphone did the honours. Some info -
    First off I have very poor eyesight and my hands aren't all that steady these days, so they're not as good as I'd once have managed, but I think they're okay for wargaming with and the models and the manoeuvre card making to go with them have kept me at the job for a while, putting in the odd hour or two at a stretch, then taking a few days for other things.

The models I prepped by coating them in a couple of coats of white PVA glue, basic glue from the local WH Smith's kids' art shelves. I then gave them a coat or two of matt varnish. Next came Acrylic paints, mainly Tamiya with the odd Humbrol thrown in - the DH2 and FB5 buff colour is a Humbrol yellowy/cream. markings are from 4pluspublications.com (German) and Bluerider (RAF) - both bought from Hannants hobby store online. Decalfix liberally applied to markings, then more matt varnish - which still seems to come out more of a satin finish for some reason on these models, which is fine as I like the slight sheen.

Pilots and gunners are Peter Pig models.

Bases are Litko, I marked them up with stats and gun arcs using fine tip Acrylic pens - I got a nice set of a dozen or so via Amazon.

Aircraft are :
    DH2, FB5 Gunbus, Bristol Fighter, Albatros D1, Albatros C3, Fokker EIII.

Colour schemes are a bit cavalier to be truthful, I like the early war stuff and to be fair they were mostly plain fabric back then, but we all know for a fact that ALL German aircraft were either completely blood red or apparently painted by colour blind exhibitionists from randomised paint collections, so I let myself pick what I felt like - especially for the Albtroses (Albatri?) The Eindecker is probably the wrong shade but looks okay to me so there. DH2/FB5 give a nod to the early war fabric, and the Brisfit was a case of 'you can't go wrong with plain green'. Anybody doesn't like them then pick you own colours, I like them!

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20210306_151809.jpg   IMG_20210306_151853.jpg   IMG_20210306_151748.jpg   IMG_20210306_151917.jpg   IMG_20210306_151821.jpg  

IMG_20210306_151921.jpg  

They look just fine to me!

Well done!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Those look great to me as well.
    Have some REP.

Very nice job! Great looking planes!

Very nice. Those are some good looking planes.

That poor Bristol is badly outnumbered. You'll have to even up the sides....get back to work!

Users Country Flag

Name
    david
    Sorties Flown

The Brisfit is okay.
    I have some proper WoG aircraft in my fleet as well - an Se5a, 1.5 Strutter, AlB C3 (yes, a proper one to go with the Shapeways one) an Alb D3, RE8, and Nieuport 11... with a Camel/Dr1 duel pack on backorder. I'd like to do up a few 'target' types for the fighters to scrap over, so the odd Be2 and Aviatik will probably appear eventually, but it's a surprising amount of work to get half a dozen done.
    Roll on conquering the coronavirus, so we can have shows and things to go to and spend too much money buying toys at!
    Dave

David, super job on those, they look great. REP

Davejb, those look FANTASTIC! nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by davejb
    , but we all know for a fact that ALL German aircraft were either completely blood red or apparently painted by colour blind exhibitionists from randomised paint collections,
    Truth! Have some well-deserved rep!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Billy
    Sorties Flown

Fantastic! Well done!

I don't often check out the Hobby Room threads, but I am glad I did today while I isolate for COVID reasons.
    I liked what you have done, David, so I've sent along some reputation.

Similar Missions

1. Pour me a half dozen Ju 87 Sea Stukas for my Graf Zeppelin!
    By clipper1801 in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-19-2015, 02:28
  2. WGF Finally finished on Fathers Day!
    By gully_raker in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-04-2013, 23:34
  3. My finished Shapeways HP O/400
    By pbhawkin in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-11-2011, 20:39
  4. Replies: 5