Ares Games

Thread: The Most Underrated US Combat Plane Of WW2

Default The Most Underrated US Combat Plane Of WW2

This was a surprise to me, but I'm not a really big Aviation Historian. Nor do I follow a lot of, if any, Pacific Theatre combat history where this specific plane made significant, if uncelebrated, combat contributions.

It was present at Pearl Harbor, Coral Sea, the Aleutians, Guadalcanal, and a lot of other major battles and operations. It has a number of US Military firsts: It was the first plane to attack the Japanese; It flew in the first offensive raid against the Japanese (well before the famous Dolittle Raid); It was the first US plane to score an air-to-air kill against a Japanese fighter; and, One of a few planes to score bombing hits on Japanese ships, and the only plane to score a torpedo hit during the Battle of Midway.

Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles Channel: The Most Underrated US Combat Plane Of WW2

The intro and the overview in the first 3 minutes is illuminating, and the combat performance is in the last sixteen minutes (40:53+). The rest of the video lightly covers the plane type's history, and a lot about the Flight Engineering role and operation of this plane. It was interesting from a Crew Management Card developer's point of view, but not really useful for game combat mechanics.

However, there is a lot of ideas for employment and scenario development that could be done using this plane that I never even considered, as I think most of us are not aware of just how much this plane actually did as a weapons delivery platform.

Be amazed!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thanks Mike for sharing this link. I was excited when I received my first 144th scale model of this plane in a batch of Pacific Theater planes from Clipper a little while back. Thanks Clipper for widening my PTO scenario options! I enjoyed this video quite a bit. I've already located and printed out the cards I could locate on the Aerodrome site. Mike, I'd be interested in any additional cards that you may feel inclined to create for this plane.

Similar Missions

1. Combat Archive 2
    By GreatOldOne in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-13-2016, 21:53
  2. Did Cotton's DH.4 ever see combat?
    By Eris Lobo in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-16-2014, 02:33
  3. Low level combat
    By skyking20 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7