Ares Games

Thread: Focke-Wulf Fw 190 - Why So Fast?

Default Focke-Wulf Fw 190 - Why So Fast?

I ran across a video yesterday, and thought it may be of interest to other Forum members. It may be a bit more technical than some gamers might want, but I found it fascinating.

This video attempts to explain why the FW-190, a radial engine fighter was able to compete with in-line engine fighters of the day. Contemporary design had departed from the blunt-nosed, non-aerodynamic form to more streamlined forms available with in-line engines. Kurt Tank found a way to make a radial engine design work.

I did note that Greg compared the FW-190A to the Spitfire Mk IX, which was actually an unfavourable comparison, as the FW-190 appeared against the Mk V. So, I would think that the numbers for the FW-190 would have been even more impressive, and quite a surprise for RAF pilots. Also, going by my limited understanding of the advantages/disadvantages of air vs water/glycol cooled engines, I think the FW-190 would have survived battle damage better than the Spitfire, even without the armoured oil cooler.

Youtube - Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles Channel: Why Was The Fw-190A So Fast?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Interesting-good spot, OldGuy.

Similar Missions

1. WGS mustang or focke wulf
    By the black devil in forum Polls
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-25-2018, 08:46
  2. WGS focke wulf 190 and WANTED
    By the black devil in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2018, 20:44
  3. WGSE: Focke-Wulf Fw 190 [3 vols]
    By Jager in forum Book Reviews