Ares Games

Thread: Unwanted Gas Bags

Default Unwanted Gas Bags

Dawn was still over the horizon for the poor infantry in the tranches, but up here, Luther Martin felt the warmth of the sun trying to fight through biting wind. He was joined by Willhelm (Dokker D.II) on his right, and Kristian Nachtfalter (Albatross D.III) on his left. Their objective, to help wake up 2 French reconnaissance balloons before they have had their morning coffee.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 1.jpg  Views: 77  Size: 26.2 KB  ID: 298024" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

As discussed in their pre-flight meeting, all three banked to focus on the northern most balloon. It was not fully aloft, and obscured by several clouds wafting by, but with careful maneuvering they broke through one last cloud and pounced, only to have a suicidal Nieuport sacrifice himself to save the helpless gasbag! Under the hail of 6 spandau machine guns, the brave Frenchman and his plane bore the attack (the cards dealt were 2 Pilot killed, 5, 2 explosion, 0, and 3 - i was so focused on trying to get the ballon, i honestly didn't see him coming, and he just... flew right in front of all three planes! :O )

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 2.jpg  Views: 77  Size: 47.8 KB  ID: 298025" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 3.jpg  Views: 75  Size: 30.9 KB  ID: 298026" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The brave French pilot had saved the first balloon, and the subsequent flak from the artillery below, and now more French pilots joined in. One on the tail of Nachtfalter, so the three German pilots dispersed so as to not make themselves easier targets. All three got a good straffing run on the second balloon, Nachtfalter setting it afire before having to break for home because the enemy had riddled his plane with bullets (only 2 damage points remained). Willhelm misjudged his approach and overshot his target ruining his follow up (the Fokker D.II is faster than i am used to, and accidentally flew him right off the edge of the map). Oberleutnant Martin danced like he was on strings, getting 2 good passes at the now burning gas bag, but was not able to bring it down faster. As he was lining up for a 3rd pass, a long burst from a British DH.4 riddled his tail, and sent a bullet through his lower back. In desperation, Luther threw his plane up into an Immelmann to bluff the on-coming attacker. It worked and the enemies passed mere feet down their respective left sides. The rear gunner was too surprised to get off a shot immediately, but did get one parting salvo to say "Auf Wiedersehen". Gasping for breath, and a glance over his shoulder revealing that his rudder was in very bad shape, Luther Martin dived for the German lines.

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 4.jpg  Views: 77  Size: 31.3 KB  ID: 298027" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 5.jpg  Views: 78  Size: 36.3 KB  ID: 298028" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

One has to wonder if the Frenchman was thinking "Dulce et decorum est" just before the end.

Probably more "Merde Alors!"
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    One has to wonder if the Frenchman was thinking "Dulce et decorum est" just before the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Probably more "Merde Alors!"
    I have no idea... i felt bad because it was only turn 3, and the game would go on for about 10 more turns. But, he did save the balloon.

Wow that was quick!

I was expecting a longer read this morning, John.
    Nice balloons - that turquoise one would definitely show through the clouds.

Excellent stuff. Croix de Guerre for our French pilot?
    Last edited by Baxter; 03-03-2021 at 14:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Wow that was quick!

I was expecting a longer read this morning, John.
    Nice balloons - that turquoise one would definitely show through the clouds.
    I prefer to write longer stories, but i have not been sleeping well, and i usually write at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Excellent stuff. Croix de Guerre for our French pilot?
    At the very least.

Oh I think I know that Frenchman.
    Fun report, John!

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Oh I think I know that Frenchman.
    Fun report, John!
    That Frenchman is not alone!

That was quick. Were you flying the Fokker D.VII as a D.II?

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    That Frenchman is not alone!

That was quick. Were you flying the Fokker D.VII as a D.II?
    It was all over the place. I was flying a Fokker D.VII, Phalz D.III, and an Albatross D.III. - we are not big on historical accuracy for this campaign as our "Air Marshal" will use the points to calculate the Ace Points, etc. All three pilots survived.

The Fokker D.VII - i was not ready for how fast it was, and missed the turn to keep him on the board after he made his pass on the 2nd balloon. My intent was to get a pass with at least 2 shooting opportunities, but... The novice only took 2 points of damage before returning to the aerodrome. Much chastising will be had at his expense.

The Albatros D.III - as he was bringing up the rear of the formation, got pummeled and was down to only 2 damage points (after taking additional A deck cards for flying off the Allied side of the board). I also made a rookie mistake and turned left, instead of right. I had intended to make a 2nd pass at the 1st balloon, on the way to retreat, but, cest la vie.

The Phalz D.III - this is my "lucky pilot"... he was preparing for his 3rd pass on the 2nd Balloon, when the pilot took a serious wound right at Phase 3... fortunately his last move was a straight, so he pulled an immediate Immelmann, to freak out the DH.4 that had just started to tail him. It worked - the bases were overlapping, but not the pegs, and i immediately dived so his tail gunner only got off a parting shot... unfortunately, a 5... so, he was down to 3 points. Since it is a campaign, and the Balloon was on fire, i opted to just fly away. "Luther Martin" - this was only his 3rd mission. His first mission was against balloons as well, and he flew too low, and managed to get shot down by the rifles! But, using "on the fly" determinations by the "Air Marshal", he crashed his plane, but did not get wounded, had to roll "snake eyes" to avoid capture as it was VERY close to the Allied lines, and then had to roll a '6' to make it back to his own lines... the odds were greater than 1 in 300, but... and now, he will have to miss the next 2 games (at least) due to being wounded.

Ok, you did fly it as a Fokker D.VII. You had written a DII so I wasn't sure.

What I love about this game is even with what appears to be a great advantage can still be overcome with the luck of the damage cards. From the beginning I expected the balloons to be toast but the Germans took quite a lot of damage and were forced off before finishing the job. At least in a campaign you'll get another chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Ok, you did fly it as a Fokker D.VII. You had written a DII so I wasn't sure.

What I love about this game is even with what appears to be a great advantage can still be overcome with the luck of the damage cards. From the beginning I expected the balloons to be toast but the Germans took quite a lot of damage and were forced off before finishing the job. At least in a campaign you'll get another chance.
    Doh. Brain cramp.

Balloons are a beast! 28 damage points is hard to inflict when being defended by planes. The AA guns were on target a lot, but off by altitude by 1 the whole game. The fire did finish off the 2nd balloon before it got all the way to the ground.

The most experienced pilot in the campaign, so far, had 4 games, but died. The current 'leader' is an Italian Boat Plane, with the 3 flights and 3 kills.

Man i am so addicted to this game.

Addicted...no, don't be so hard on your self. I just see it as playing this game is a way of life.

Great to have a campaign to play through. Fun to see your pilots progress but sad to have one fall.

Looks like a good time was had by all, except maybe the heroic Frenchman. Well done chaps.

I must admit that when I read the title of this post I had visions of a picture of a line of men handing in their wives.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I must admit that when I read the title of this post I had visions of a picture of a line of men handing in their wives.
    ....and I thought it was a post about Mothers-in-Law.....

Similar Missions

1. String Bags...
    By Strangely Brown in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-25-2019, 14:53
  2. BAGS BAGS BAGS !!!
    By Hedeby in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2017, 15:11
  3. WGF Wanted: your unwanted airplane consoles
    By brdavis in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 16