From their French based aerodromes, on the night of July 29, 1918, the Independent Air Force (IAF) sent crews from No. 216 Squadron to fly 8 Handley Page Type 0/100 biplanes to bomb Stuttgart, with 9,968 pounds of missiles. Primary targets included the Stuttgart aerodrome center, officially known as Flugplatz Boblingen, and Boblingen Bahnhof, the adjacent train station. Other objectives included the Mercedes-Benz Unterturkheim Plant, Bosch Magneto plant and chemical corporations.
On the evening of July 30, 1918, No. 216 Squadron launched 4 Handley Page aircraft, destined for Stuttgart. With manoeuvres at 6,400-7,000 feet, 3 out of 4 biplanes released 4,480 pounds on the city. Two thousand, nine hundred and twelve of these projectiles were designated for the Bosch factory and Hauptbahnhof; the central station of the Royal Wurttemberg State Railways.
This is all I know, regarding specific details regarding these 2 dates for airstrikes against Stuttgart during the Great War. Extensive research was conducted in January and February, 2021. If anyone can provide further details, I truly appreciate your help.
I created other posts for airstrikes against Stuttgart, for September 22, 1915, October 9/10, 1916; October 11, 1916, March 10, 1918 and I'm not done.
The inspiration behind all my data involving aerial bombings of Stuttgart between 1915-1918, began with an original poster of Stuttgart by August Friedrich Gumbart (1884 - date of death believed to be before 1955). I acquired the beautiful graphic work through an auction in 2019. The poster, graded Condition A-, is undated. This started me on a quest to know the artwork's date, as accurately as possible. Research began in June, 2019, continuing in 2020 with various intervals. Finalized research was in January-February, 2021. With all I've learned about featured architecture in the image, I absolutely believe it was done in 1931- possibly 1932; no later than 1933 but I'm convinced it's from 1931. The Stuttgart poster is one of the 4 rarest original European travel posters in my collection, from 1920-1957. I created an ongoing text to accommodate the gorgeous poster, including the impact on this city during 1914-1918. To see my poster along with the intensive researched data,
Email: wildromantic@aol.com