Ares Games

Thread: Play by PM game format

Default Play by PM game format

As we have played a number of these games now, I am looking for some player feedback on the format we are using. Are players happy with the way the games are panning out so far?

I have added a couple of house rules this time around concerning diving and gun jams. A good move?

There are more optional rules we could add, for instance +1 Aim bonus for shooting from above, tailing and disruption. Is there anything players would particularly like to see in the games?
    Be aware though, that if we add too much, we may get a better game but I may need to drop the number of players from the current eight to keep things manageable.
    Last edited by Sauerkraut; 02-27-2021 at 06:39.

I think what you have is working well, Andy.

I didn't realize we weren't using the "+1 from above" but in the current game I think I am glad we are not ..

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    ..I didn't realize we weren't using the "+1 from above" ...
    I didn't realise that either but just as happy we're not !

I like the 'lose 1 Alt' on a dive rule; not '1 Alt and all your climb counters', as that made a real difference to the PbeM games that were run in the past.
    With the late war jobs we're in for Eleventh Hour it is not too noticeable but when you're in an Alb D.II, or similar, as we have been previously you will notice the difference. It should encourage more vertical movement.

Not fussed about Tailing - rarely use it, or, see it used and when I do it's often done wrong - I think this could really slow the pace if we're waiting for people in different time zones to pass messages about what moves to play.

Don't use Disruption - keeping track of things for disruption may cause issues too, best way would be to mark planes that took damage in a phase but then you end up with markers and relying on them being correctly added/removed each phase. Not worth the effort.

We could try random side/aircraft allocation and maybe start positions - maybe bounce scenarios where we don't do the usual 'knights of old' charge across the table at each other.

Quite happy with how things play at the minute otherwise - the gun jam option keeps you in the game, so nothing wrong with that, and is realistic.

Which remind me I must give you some REP for this one !

"He is wise who watches"

Loving it - I can see it being hard for some people to get in on games, not that I take up a space for that long. I’d love to run one but nowhere to set it up for the duration.

If lockdown was to continue I could see some kind of league forming, but bet that would be an admin nightmare!

You are all doing a grand job.

Now to remain in the air .....

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

I suggest to use a house rule for choosing targets. The target have to be the closest enemy, although more than one enemy is in range. That avoids show stopping requests.

All ready doing it in Eleventh Hour Flo - it's in the brief.

"He is wise who watches"

As a rookie, the rules are all good and useful and seem to add to the game. Perhaps if space allowed a slightly larger map (4x4) my help and make it a bit more tactical and give a bit more space for say, outflanking and May resolve the hung-ho all to the middle type start if it wasn’t until turn 2 or 3 before contact. I like the busy format with 6 planes buzzing around and allows 6 plus the organiser to participate at any one time. Perhaps the smaller 3x3 map would be better for the slower old time planes as they move less distance in any case.
    I do like the altitude and fly higher including the house rules about not losing counters, but would like to see the optional +1 from higher as that would give incentive to gain height which there isn’t a lot at the moment unless you need some quiet time, let alone getting anywhere near the ceiling levels.
    Some top wing guns would benefit from being to aim at higher targets, although it is limited to one altitude higher.
    Nicely run game and learning with each experience, so just glad to have stayed on the map without flying off and getting a couple of shots off. No collisions so far this turn and I like the rule that it must be centre posts that overlap for this to be the case as many times you are millimetres out in your judgement and only just overlap bases, which should not be penalised apart from not being able to shoot at each other.
    Otherwise ok with all house rules and now just got to,learn not to throw in a stupid manoeuvre at the wrong time.
    Certainly REP will be heading your way from me at the end of the game for the patience and great way it has been run including visually. Like my colleague above, if I had room to keep a table out would certainly run a game and the idea of a league sounds great. What about something based like the Ryder cup I.e you name a 6-8 man team (one each from USA and UK/Europe) and then one player as Squadron Leader allocates a team number and scenarios are played using random numbers/planes from the squads provided to the organiser? May be a bit of fun?
    Last edited by Baz; 02-27-2021 at 13:30.

The larger playing area is something I have considered but I have been unable to take good enough photos of it with my sadly outdated mobile phone camera.

Is there a limit on image size to the site as I have a DSLR camera with an auto click thingamee that I could set up on a tripod or even try using my iPad camera?

Not sure about that. I'm fairly new at posting photos on the forum myself. Had a quick scan through the site rules and info and can't find any limits on size there.

I have a 12 megapixel Nikon and the site chokes when I try to upload images that size. I usually reduce them to 1000 pixels horizontal and that seems fine. I don't know what the max size would be trouble free.

I am in agreement with changing the missions up. Have a couple of reconnaissance or dawn patrol style missions.

As for the rules, keep them simple so it is manageable. Don't want too much to keep track of.

I have something different in mind when this one is over.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    All ready doing it in Eleventh Hour Flo - it's in the brief.
    I did it again Next time I should read the whole text and not selective.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I have a 12 megapixel Nikon and the site chokes when I try to upload images that size. I usually reduce them to 1000 pixels horizontal and that seems fine. I don't know what the max size would be trouble free.
    The site reduces them to 800 horizontal anyway but understand it doesn't take much bigger.

"He is wise who watches"

I'd like to see a wider range of scenarios: trench strafing/ground attack, photo reconnaissance, maybe some bomb runs. Mix it up.

If this continues to be successful, perhaps a campaign.

I'd like to see more people step up and run a game. A campaign could work if everyone helped out. Maybe make it like OTT, one person submits the scenario and runs the game. Following scenario the next person on the list does the same until everyone has had the chance to put on a game.

I'd like to see more people step up and run a game. A campaign could work if everyone helped out. Maybe make it like OTT, one person submits the scenario and runs the game. Following scenario the next person on the list does the same until everyone has had the chance to put on a game.
    Much as I'd like to, I don't have a decent enough camera setup to provide photos like Andy and Florian have done.

For a campaign, we have lots of OTT campaign scenarios we could revisit.

Pete, same here. Would like to help out as well. Don't have the proper setup currently. HHmmmm..... some long term goals to look at.

I'm only using my mobile phone camera. Its a three year old phone too. Took some trial and error but the pictures seem to be passable.

You don't need anything special, just a camera of some sort. Other than that all you need is a table or enough floor space for a 2-3 weeks.

Could probably do this

You don't need anything special, just a camera of some sort. Other than that all you need is a table or enough floor space for a 2-3 weeks.
    That’s my problem, nowhere to keep a set up longer than an evening.

The camera I can work with. The setup on the table for a couple of weeks wouldn't fly very well with the wife. My daughter will fiddle with and play with all the pieces when I am not watching them.

Is play by PM still actual?
    Any new campaign foreseen in the next future?

I won't be able to run one until January so look out for an announcement in the new year.

Thing is, those of us involved more or less took turns hosting on an entirely voluntary basis. The unspoken rule was, "If you come up with a scenario to host, we'll do that." So, yeah, I think it could be revived, Stefano, if you have a scenario, and are willing to host.

What about Neil's BoB campaign? There are ~20 missions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    What about Neil's BoB campaign? There are ~20 missions.
    I do need to get back into that.
    Been nearly two years since mine 'stalled'.

I'm in the same situation - jsut finished prelude in France. Definitely want to continue, I like Neil's missions.

Same here. Now that I have a French and Dutch air force I'd like to do more 1940 on the continent before moving on to Britain. This coming winter when we settle into the new place I should have time.

Thank you for all the feedbacks!

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Thing is, those of us involved more or less took turns hosting on an entirely voluntary basis. The unspoken rule was, "If you come up with a scenario to host, we'll do that." So, yeah, I think it could be revived, Stefano, if you have a scenario, and are willing to host.
    There is the will, ofc, but unfortunately I don't think I have the experience nor the materials needed to host somothing like this...
    In fact I'm quite new to the game and I was hoping to play by PM also in order to acquire more experience with the game!

Stefano, mikejr74 tun online games. See for example Playing online WWII thread. I played it once and it was awesome. The only, but serious trouble, is time shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Stefano, mikejr74 tun online games. See for example Playing online WWII thread. I played it once and it was awesome. The only, but serious trouble, is time shift.
    Thanks, I'll give it a look!

Similar Missions

1. over Flanders - another Play by PM game - Finished
    By Sauerkraut in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 212
    Last Post: 01-31-2021, 01:02
  2. Solo game play
    By Sgt. in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-25-2020, 07:19
  3. Play by email game
    By chequers in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 05-02-2019, 07:00
  4. As if I needed another game to play....
    By STICK in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2013, 15:18
  5. mats to play game.
    By boardgamer55 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-30-2010, 20:29