Ares Games

Thread: OTT-CYM-Mission 8 -"Formation Flying!" - 26th August 1916 - teaticket

Default OTT-CYM-Mission 8 -"Formation Flying!" - 26th August 1916 - teaticket

The Eagles had relocated 70 miles north to where the action was heating up. Several Jastas were brought in to deal with the intensifying air activity brought on by incessant Entente aircraft daily crossing the lines. Being now located closer to the British Army, HQ has passed on intelligence that the RFC were seen flying bombers in a fixed formation to maximize their firepower. Many ambitious pilots were seen to dive into this formation and never return. The Great Boelcke has witnessed one of these formations and has put some thought into it. He advises that attacking scouts only approach the edges and the tail of the formation and to attack in concert to overpower the enemy there.

Onkel posted Boelcke’s tactics to the Eagles roster board in the ready room for all to read. Flight leader ObLtn. Konrad Dahl gathered the Eagles to discuss the Boelcke bulletin. It was agreed if one of these formations were found that no one would act on their own. Depending on the situation it would be preferred to attack from a rear quarter. Under no circumstances would a head on attack be made. Under absolutely under no circumstances was anyone to fly into the middle of the formation.

Ltn. Paul Wolff lead the mid-morning patrol along the lines flying a Fokker D.II. With him in D.IIs were Ltn. Otto Reittinger and Ltn. Alfred Müller. Ltn. Lothar Ochs drew the lucky straw and got to fly the Halberstadt.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	297808

The chief of the ground crew had warned Wolff that one of the Fokkers had an intermittently sticky control and he wished it not be flown, but Paul insisted on flying a four-plane patrol and took the questionable plane for himself. Every available plane must be flown if each mission was to have the best chances for success.

Paul found the Fokker responding quite well on take-off. When reaching altitude, the four scouts flew their routes along the lines with no encounters to speak of. One French observation plane was seen but it quickly dove back behind its friendly lines as soon as it spotted the four Hun hunters. A pair of French scouts came a little closer but did the same to save themselves from an uneven fight.

Paul hoped to remember to thank the crew chief for his concern as all seemed fine. “We have a very good crew to take care of our machines”, Paul thought. “I hope I remember to thank the chief for his conscientious work ethic”.

The patrol route had been flown and it was time to head back to the barn. Paul, in the lead, waggled his wings to signal the others that it is time to head back.

20 miles from the aerodrome Paul thought he saw something through the clouds ahead. He signaled the others to follow him.

Sure enough, there was a flight of four British Sopwith Strutters hugging the bottom of the clouds. Using the clouds for cover Paul let the British think they were alone as he positioned his unseen flight for an attack. He passed on a few hand signals to remind the others this was the situation they had been warned about by the Boelcke Bulletin. Now is the time to follow the master’s instructions.

‘B’ Flight.

Name:	3.jpg 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	297809

Eagles on the hunt.

Name:	1.jpg 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	297810

Paul instinctively expected the usual. The formation would break and individual chases would follow. The Eagles broke through the clouds a little earlier than Paul had planned and he was sure the enemy had spotted them. To his surprise they stayed true to their course and flew straight on.
    “These British are well disciplined staying in their formation knowing they are about to be attacked”, Paul thought. "Lets see if they can hold it".

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	297811

Reittinger closed in first with Müller just behind. The Sopwith pilot flinched in his seat while Müller felt his joystick pull to the right.

Name:	11.jpg 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	297812

Müller lost his focus and turned into the formation while the three other Eagles stayed on the plan.
    Müller’s gambit was not appreciated by the lead Strutter’s pilot as he also was hit. Two bursts and two hit pilots, Müller was working on a reputation!

Lucky for Müller as this was a single seat bomber, no return fire from an observer.

Name:	13.jpg 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	297813

Name:	14.jpg 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	297814

Ochs turns in to attack the flanking Strutter. Smoke began to billow out of the engine cowling.

Name:	15.jpg 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	297815

The Strutter’s observer chose to fire upon the Fokker flying past its tail. Luckily for Reittinger the stream of bullets was cut short.

Name:	16.jpg 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	297816

Müller finds himself right where he was told not to go. He deftly kept out of the trailing Strutter’s firing arcs but a long shot nicked an oil line and his Fokker puffed out thick black smoke.

Name:	17.jpg 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	297817

Müller’s view is greatly impaired by the smoke and he missed a golden opportunity to do some great damage. To insult him more his gun jams.
    Ochs tries to shoot around Müller but to be safe has to fire wide.

Name:	18.jpg 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	297818

Ochs turns to get on the tail of the smoking tandem and cuts it too close and has to ease just under it. He takes a pot shot but missed the leading bomber.

Name:	19.jpg 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	297819

In the crazy tangle of planes even the British observers are having difficulty finding their targets.

Name:	20.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	297820

The trailing Strutter finds Ochs and his Halberstadt vibrated as most of the burst hits home.

Name:	21.jpg 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	297821

Name:	22.jpg 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	297822

Ochs keeps his focus on the smoking bomber. He pulls back just enough to get it back into his sights and lets loose.

Name:	23.jpg 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	297823

Reittinger lets off a short hopeful burst he knows is wide of Ochs but also probably wide of his intended target.

Name:	24.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	297824

Müller, feeling he is about to clear the jam turns back towards the formation. The trailing observer has found his mark again but the left flanker jams his Lewis.

Name:	25.jpg 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	297825

The smoking Strutter stalls and Ochs once again has to slip under it. Again he can’t find the lead bomber and cuts his burst short.

Name:	26.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	297826

Ochs backs off and fires but does little but add a hole or two into some canvas.
    Reittinger keeps firing wide.
    (Here I really screwed up as I somehow missed the gun jams. They must have had bullet checker ground crew as the jams are both green!)

Name:	27.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	297827

The trailing Strutter finds Ochs and punishes him again.

Name:	28.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	297828

Müller puts a few good rounds into the Strutter, but Reittinger….at least you can say he’s consistent.

Name:	29.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	297829

The trailing Strutter’s observer is not to be messed with. He gives no mercy to Müller’s Fokker with a brutal blow…and then a little more for icing on the cake.
    (another mistake, firing into the blind spot!)

Name:	30.jpg 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	297830

Name:	32.jpg 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	297831

Müller give one last burst before having to break off. He at least gets a little satisfaction to see some bits and bobs flying off of the Strutter.

Name:	31.jpg 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	297832

With Müller pulling away Reittinger finally gets a clear shot and makes it count. Sparks and smoke, them flames pour out of the Strutter’s enging.

Name:	34.jpg 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	297833

Ochs has to back off again to get a shot at the smoker. One round hits the engine where the oil leak is and immediately the smoke turns into flame!

The observer has difficulty seeing through the swirling smoke and sprays his rounds wildly hoping to hit his foe.
    (another case of blind spot shooting!)

Name:	33.jpg 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	297834

Ochs doesn’t let up and soon the flaming mess spins down towards the earth below with no chance to recover.
    (yep, more blind spot shooting!)

Name:	35.jpg 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	297835

Reittinger now locks on to his prey, following the flames at a safe distance.
    The trailing observer returns his attention to Reittinger and does not miss.

Name:	36.jpg 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	297836

The fire is too much, and the second Strutter falls from the sky.

Name:	37.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	297837

Ochs’ Fokker has taken its share of damage and he must break off. Its up to Reittinger and….where’s Wolff?

Name:	38.jpg 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	297838

Oh, there he is, well behind Reittinger.
    Wolff sees Müller and Ochs peeling off, Reittinger and the British ahead. He pushes the throttle as hard as he can but he knows he is too far behind to catch the enemy.

Name:	39.jpg 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	297839

The remaining pair of Strutters make their escape. The pair of Fokkers give chase but after a few minutes give it up as hopeless. Their slow Fokkers won’t catch the Strutters from this or any distance from behind.

Name:	40.jpg 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	297840

An uncomfortable Paul Wolff stood in front of Onkel's desk.

“Well, that must have been some fancy flying, not a single bullet hole!” Onkel, with his head tilted a little to the side, looks at Wolff.

“It wasn’t my fault. We followed Boelcke’s instructions and came at them all from one quarter. Just as we engaged my controls seized up and the damned Fokker turned away from the formation. By the time I got my kite back under control it was all but done. Ochs and Reittinger each downed one and the remaining two could not be caught. Our sad Fokkers are so slow we can’t even catch their tandems”. Wolff looked defiantly back at Onkel.

“Ja, I know”. Onkel gets up and slaps Wolff on the shoulder. “There are new designs being worked on. Soon we will again have planes worthy for the fight you must fight. Till then you’ll do your best”. Onkel felt the Eagle’s frustration. The glory days of the Fokker Scourge were well over. The Fokkers now are second rate at best.

Wolff left Onkel’s office feeling a little ashamed. He lead the flight but had not participated in the fight. As soon as he released a heavy sigh just outside the office door he saw his flight mates entering the mess. He hurried over to be the first to set them up with a drink to celebrate the two kills and a well fought engagement.

Butcher’s Bill

Entente

Name:	48.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	297841
    ‘B’ Sqn 3 Bee tan sides FLM ET

Name:	49.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	297842
    ‘B’ Sqn 3 Bee green sides FLM ET

Name:	47.jpg 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	297843
    ‘B’ Sqn 1 and 2 Bee FRTB-W & RTB

Kaiser’s Eagles

Name:	45.jpg 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	297844
    Ltn. Alfred Müller FRTB-E 0 kills
    4 & 1 ok

Name:	43.jpg 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	297847
    Ltn. Lothar Ochs FRTB-D 1 Kill
    3 & 1 ok

Name:	44.jpg 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	297845
    Ltn. Otto Reittinger RTB 1 Kill

Name:	46.jpg 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	297846
    Ltn. Paul Wolff RTB 0 kills

Results
    2 bombers downed +2
    2 bombers escaped -2

Draw

Well I really messed this one up. I knew I missed something while playing it out but I was interrupted 4 times and didn’t catch it until I was editing the photos. Usually I fly it in one go but this took two days and some to get to the finish. I know, excuses excuses….
    Did the missed gun jams equal the blind spot shooting? Eh. I even missed sending the lead Strutter bomber home because of the wounded pilot. War is hell!

It was still a lot of fun to fly and write up. Thanks for a fun scenario John.
    Last edited by flash; 02-24-2021 at 07:29.

I feel for you Peter, always a nause when you spot something in photos that you missed & it seems you had a day of it ! Never mind, I think it evened out in the end and made for a good story in the Mess !

Onkel says:

Well done Eagles, fifty percent knocked down - they will not want to keep taking losses like that so you may have forced them to make a change of tactics - only time will tell. Come, let us get to the Mess we have two victories to celebrate and an award...
    Ltn Lothar Ochs is awarded the Iron Cross 1st class for his fifth victory. He is now a recognised Stuntman ace and will lead

PS Make sure you note why your machines are FRTB in the Tally - ta everso.

REP gun is jammed so will have to circle back
    Last edited by flash; 02-24-2021 at 07:31.

"He is wise who watches"

Peter, I love the Strutter paint/decal scheme. Very nice! Did you make the Bee decals! Would love to get a set for some Belgium SPAD XII I have waiting for paint. "B" flight! Love it!

Awesome AAR, Peter. Some beautiful planes, a shame to see them burn

I loved all of that. A really fun read for an AAR. Very nice paint schemes. A tad jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Peter, I love the Strutter paint/decal scheme. Very nice! Did you make the Bee decals! Would love to get a set for some Belgium SPAD XII I have waiting for paint. "B" flight! Love it!
    Thanks Dan. The Bees are hand painted. I should make a decal of them...I'll let you know.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 02-24-2021 at 15:38.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Awesome AAR, Peter. Some beautiful planes, a shame to see them burn
    Thanks Chris. Burn today, fly again tomorrow!

Thanks for the REP.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 02-24-2021 at 07:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Urai View Post
    I loved all of that. A really fun read for an AAR. Very nice paint schemes. A tad jealous.

Thanks John. You should read other AARs from the OTT solo campaign. There are some really talented writers there that I look up to.

[QUOTE=Teaticket;548873]The Bees are hand painted./QUOTE]

OMG whaaat. A stencil or template? Or shouldn't you be working on the Sistine Chapel...

Chris, my thoughts exactly. Peter, those are some beautiful planes! Rep gun is jammed right now!

[QUOTE=malachi;548880]
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    The Bees are hand painted./QUOTE]

OMG whaaat. A stencil or template? Or shouldn't you be working on the Sistine Chapel...
    Freehand. Before you try something like this just practice on a piece of paper till you get what you want. Not that hard to do.

Well done, Adler. It will be a while before the Strutters try that again.

You showed them that you were the 'Bee Keeper' using smoke to keep them under control.
    You are certainly an artist - I thought the bees were decals. I can't imagine painting them freehand.
    REP

Thanks Pete. The 'smoke the bees' technique worked quite well.

I used my Bee Sqn so I could have 4 similar planes for the formation. I don't yet have 4 French early tandems of the same type. Have to get in a Shapeways order! Later on when they get their Strutters I'm good.

Great AAR, Peter. If my memory serves me, you've done as well as anyone else. Was it Paul that actually got a victory with this mission? Maybe...but he flies planes with Brexit exemptions.

Anyway, down to the mess for drinks to celebrate the new ace.

Thanks Paul. Getting an ace is something for my Eagles. Last campaign when I flew French I got stuffed. Hope I get to use his skill soon.

A great opener Peter and a well fought fight, a draw is a good result, I lost but did replay it for a 3rd time and "won" by shooting down 3 light bombers but still lost 3 scouts doing it. Obviously not an easy scenario, goodness knows who thought that one up.

Planes as always look excellent. and I'm afraid the rep gun is jammed.

Thanks John. I think on this one a draw is as good as a win. That's my position and I'm sticking to it.

About who came up with this one, if we only knew.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    About who came up with this one, if we only knew.
    One of those great mysteries.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    One of those great mysteries.
    Probably that bod Teaticket back at HQ, he gets the blame for all my disastrous missions, even if he's nothing to do with it.

Soo... whenever anything goes bad we blame Teaticket. Sounds like a good plan!

Nice one Peter and congratulations to Ltn Lothar Ochs for his gong and achieving ace status As for mistakes, I've lost count of the number I've made. The important thing is to fit them into your story. Given that Wolff did little or nothing during the mission, I thought you dealt with that very imaginatively.
    Another fine AAR and another well fought draw. REP buddy.

Thanks Mike. As we all found out this was a tough mission. Going up against stronger planes with fore and aft guns, not what we want to do too often! Ochs finally reached ace which was very nice. Now to see what he does with it.

Similar Missions

1. AAR Mission 8 CYM - Flash Formation Flying ! 26th August 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-22-2021, 09:41
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-13-2021, 03:46
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-12-2021, 19:51
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-11-2021, 13:20
  5. Replies: 27