Ares Games

Thread: AAR - Chasing away the Pigeons

Default AAR - Chasing away the Pigeons

Oberleutnant Linus Wach caught the waggle of his mentor's wings. Looking over, his teacher pointed out a pair of D.H. 4 trying to sneak across to take pictures. He nodded his understanding and the two banked towards the intruders. It was then they noticed a lone SE.5 now wedged in between them and the DH.4's.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 1.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 97.5 KB  ID: 297795" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 2.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 121.0 KB  ID: 297796" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Before long, the sky was thick with friend and foe alike. Two German observer planes, and an identified Russian, had joined in . Eight machines all swarming like angry hornets.

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 23.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 121.8 KB  ID: 297797" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Now, planes were falling like so much confetti. First Wach's mentor spiraled down in flames. Next, the Russian followed. Even as Wach settled on the tail of one of DH.4's, a smoking Observer slipped in between our young hero and his intended target. Shortly after his victim had been stolen from him, the thief fell, finally consumed by the flames that had been eating him away. Suddenly, all that remained was Wach and a single DH.4.

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 4.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 110.0 KB  ID: 297798" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Wach snapped off a good burst, resulting in a satisfying explosion, but as they passed along, the machine remained aloft! Wach deftly turned his plane away from the vindictive rear gunner, and settled in to his pursuit. Unfortunately, the distance was too great to get a shot in to finish off the enemy bird, when suddenly his target thrust its nose into the air, and the gap suddenly closed.

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 5.jpg  Views: 38  Size: 96.4 KB  ID: 297799" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Taking the opportunity Wach let loose a burst from his twin spandaus. But, the valient British fliers would not go down without a fight, and the rear gunner let loose a volley of his own. Several sharp tugs at his flying leathers made his heart stop dead within his chest. Before fear completely overwhelmed him, Wach turned sharply to his right to make good his escape. One last look over his shoulder as he regained his own trench line below, showed the DH.4, flying away.

-=-=-=O=-=-=-

We had double our usual numbers show up at our local hobby store last night. We even had a brand new player (he has just shown up to watch, so we told him he could watch first hand. ). I already knew that, despite my preference to use "period" planes (the campaign is supposed to be in April of 1917), our "Air Marshal" does not enforce plane selection based on the time. I understand this because, when we first started, he was the only one with much of a selection, and the store - in association with only what is available from Ares - and us rookies, had to take what we could get our hands on. So, we have Sopwith Snipes flying along with Albatross D.III's, etc. But now, almost everyone has pretty good selections. I may ask to see if we could start over, but... in the end, it is a game, and games are meant to be fun.

Hope you all enjoyed that all too brief snippet.

Good fun scrap!

I don't mind the odd time-warp furball every now and then.

Thanks for posting.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thank you for the encouragement. I am mostly grateful that we are playing at all. I am hooked.

Nice to see the game being played FTF. Nice looking mat too! Thanks for the report.

Cool fight, John! And the mat is really great

Thank you guys. Our "Air Marshal" made those mates himself. The look great in person too.

That looked like serious fun! Great mat too.

Well done all pilots!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Nice to see the game being played FTF..
    Brave in a pandemic too !
    Looking forward to our local venue being reopened for gaming but that's still a few months off yet.

"He is wise who watches"

Looks like a fun time! Thanks for sharing!

Similar Missions

1. Chasing a Gotha
    By Windy Jack in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-26-2019, 05:46
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-28-2015, 08:18
  3. Pigeons to the rescue, but not for long
    By andron234 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-10-2015, 17:58