Ares Games

Thread: Card request for Mitsubishi Ki-51 Type 99 Assault Plane Sonia

Default Card request for Mitsubishi Ki-51 Type 99 Assault Plane Sonia

I am looking for cards for 3 different Mitsubishi Ki-51 Sonias. I have received 2 different Mitsubishi Ki-51 Sonias, with a third different one in the mail to me. Below are pics of the first one from 44 Sentai, the second one will be the dark blue 49th Dokuritsu Chutai model as seen in the Wing Kit Collection picture. The third one will be the green speckled one from 67 Sentai, also shown in the Wing Kit Collection picture.

Stats per Karl: Ki-51 Sonia: Deck: I*: (no second dive card or dive bomb cards; will need to add the 30 degree turn cards from my files)
    Hits: 16; Ceiling: 9; Climb: 6;
    Guns: A/A (late war B/A) - A/A

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mitsubishi Ki-51 Sonia 44 Sentai (1).jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	332241

Name:	Mitsubishi Ki-51 Sonia 44 Sentai (2).jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	332240

Name:	Mitsubishi Ki-51 Sonia 44 Sentai off white, 49th Dokuritsu Chutai dark blue.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	332242

I would appreciate any help with these cards. Please, let me know if you need to see actual pictures of the dark blue, or green speckled models.
    Last edited by abovetheclouds; 10-24-2023 at 06:57.

So, I started with the wrong color scheme, it seems...

Name:	ki51-type-99-sonia_Work.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	332244
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

49th dokuritsu chotai? Please check this unit. Could it be 49th Dokuritsu (Sentai), # Chutai?

Name:	ki51-type-99-sonia_49th.jpg 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	332247

Some research on 44th Sentai came up with the below. It can be changed...

Name:	WoG_Ki51_Sonia-44SentaiCard2S.jpg 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	332246

Please post a top-down image of your third plane, when it arrives.
    Mike

Ha! I have Chutai spelled correctly in all of my other files, but then the fingers lost contact with the brain while I was typing it out here. And I will always acquiesce to your wealth of knowledge and expertise in these matters.

Quote Originally Posted by abovetheclouds View Post
    Ha! I have Chutai spelled correctly in all of my other files, but then the fingers lost contact with the brain while I was typing it out here. And I will always acquiesce to your wealth of knowledge and expertise in these matters.
    If only I knew stuff. I just try to complete cards with the best info I can find, so I search. I would like to use Japanese terms for units, not English names. There are a few different units indicated as Chutai (section? squadron? Not clear in translation...)

Hikō Sentai - Flying Regiment (Wing? depends on translation...)
    Dokuritsu Hikōtai - Independent Squadron
    Dokuritsu Hikō Chūtai - Independent Chūtai (Squadron? not completely clear)
    Source: Wikipedia - List of Imperial Japanese Army Air-to-Surface Special Attack Units

An IJAAS Sentai was made up of two to four squadrons (chūtai). In the IJAAS, two or more Sentai comprised a hikōdan (air brigade). In the later stages of World War II, the IJAAS abolished chūtai and divided its sentai into hikōtai (flying units) and seibitai (maintenance units).
    Source: Wikipedia - Sentai

So, looking around for reference color schemes on planes to do cards, I will now have to watch for dates and will still be messing up things...

PS: Fuselage band colors mean things, like what Chutai within a given Sentai. Sometimes. There are tail/rudder designs and colored stripes on the elevators that indicate divisions of units within wings/squadrons. I don't know what they all signify, and it may change from organization to organization. The tail designs may be seen in profile images/drawings but won't be seen on cards. The elevator strips don't show up on profile images/drawings but would show up on cards, if I had a top-down image/drawing reference.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-24-2023 at 09:10.
    Mike

I've already downloaded the first Ki-51 card. Now I'm working on the I* decks for the Ki-51's and an Ilyushin Il-2M3 that I just picked up too. Along with my incoming green speckled Ki-51, I'll be receiving a camo Ki-27, and a green speckled Ki-43. When I receive the lot I will post pics of the Ki-51, and check the files for pre-existing cards that match the Ki-27 and Ki-43.
    It's always interesting to learn more about historical data, so I appreciate the insight into some of the places you use to find information for the WWII Japanese planes and groupings. Thank you for sharing this helpful info.

To create the I* decks, Karl mentioned pulling the 3 cards from the I deck (which I've done), but he also mentioned adding 30 degree turn cards from his files. I'm not sure if that file is located in the Aerodrome files section, if so, I wasn't able to find it. Or is it possibly in his personal files? Any ideas?

To create the I* decks, Karl mentioned pulling the 3 cards from the I deck (which I've done), but he also mentioned adding 30 degree turn cards from his files. I'm not sure if that file is located in the Aerodrome files section, if so, I wasn't able to find it. Or is it possibly in his personal files? Any ideas?
    Something I have found better than the search function or trolling through the files, is to go to members' profile (whom you think made it), and check under their files tab.
    But here it is:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2731

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Name:	WoG_Ki51_Sonia-49ChutaiCard2S.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	332279
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Something I have found better than the search function or trolling through the files, is to go to members' profile (whom you think made it), and check under their files tab.
    But here it is:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2731

Karl
    Ha! And yes, I did go to your profile page where I noticed the number of files you had posted. But, like a dork, I didn't even notice the tabs. Argh!
    But, thank you Karl for providing the direct link for those of us who aren't observant, or patient enough to find things on our own.

Oh, next question: Is it one set of 30 degree turns per deck?

Mike

These I+ Mates cards looks like the I deck, but with two sets of 30 degree turns added.
    I believe the only difference between these I+ Mates cards, and the I* deck is that the Mates cards still have the second dive card (17) and the two dive bomb cards (18 & 19) included on them.

These I+ Mates cards looks like the I deck, but with two sets of 30 degree turns added.
    I believe the only difference between these I+ Mates cards, and the I* deck is that the Mates cards still have the second dive card (17) and the two dive bomb cards (18 & 19) included on them.
    So, there is another deck I could put together? I should do up MATES cards for the modified decks?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    So, there is another deck I could put together? I should do up MATES cards for the modified decks?
    Off topic for Sonia. I suggest that you do also MATES cards for the three ZM, ZL, Zwhatwasit?

Oh, next question: Is it one set of 30 degree turns per deck?
    There should be 2 sets of the 30 degree turn cards. Every official deck has 2 sets of 30 and 45 degree cards. No reason to change that.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Fortunately, I had four I decks available from "Fire from the Sky" WGS sets that'll take care of my three new Ki-51's, and my new Shturmovik. I've already printed up Karl's 30 degree turn cards to add to those decks. Just awaiting the arrival of my third Ki-51 in the mail, so I can get pics posted for Mike to create, yet another, Ki-51 card. I feel like I've been keeping Karl and Mike busy researching stats and designing cards for all of my unofficial airplane additions (mostly Japan's WWII plane-of-the-week models), so I will not be the person requesting Mate decks for all the different modified decks. I'll leave that to some other brave soul out there in Aerodromeland.

And the third Ki-51 Sonia...

Name:	Mitsubishi Ki-51 Sonia 67 (2).jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	332338

Name:	Mitsubishi Ki-51 Sonia 67 (1).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	332339

I thought I'd ask again for a possible card for this green speckled Sonia. I have the first two excellent Sonia cards loaded into a document. I didn't want to print the document with just the first two cards on it until I checked on the possibility of adding the third Sonia to the sheet. I will set all of the Sonia planes and decks off to the side of my work bench while I begin doing research on stats and cards for Mitsubishi F1M Pete, and Kawanishi N1K2-J George.

As a Gmail user, Google has done something to the mail filters that blocks wingsofwar.org emails. So, I'm no longer getting notices from posts on threads. Annoying.

I will try to do the camo scheme ASAP. It will require a lot of work to emulate.
    Mike

Name:	WoG_Ki51_Sonia-67SentaiCard2S.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	333400
    Mike

That's an amazing card!

In fact, SPOT ON!

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Really impressive artwork, Mike!

Wow! Incredible work on such a highly detailed pattern. I am incredibly impressed and very grateful.

Wow! Incredible work on such a highly detailed pattern. I am incredibly impressed and very grateful.
    Thanks for the top-down image! The better that image is, the better I can match it.

For this particular plane, I put the image under the line drawing in Photoshop, and created a layer to paint the pattern. Depending on how intricate the camo is, I match the brush tool to best emulate the borders of the pattern (hard line; soft line; scatter spray; etc...). Then, I just attempt to copy the image onto the layer. This pattern took a lot of detail work, as I copied it dot by dot.

PS: For the blue plane above, I did random spray patterns of silver in spots, to emulate paint chippping.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 11-20-2023 at 16:07.
    Mike

Wonderful work Mike.

Similar Missions

1. WGSF Official Mitsubishi Ki-51 Sonia Painting Thread
    By Dak21 in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-23-2023, 15:01
  2. Card request: Bristol Blenheim Mk.IVF aircraft card
    By Captain Knowitall in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-10-2021, 18:38
  3. National: How many minis of each plane type?
    By AZTiger98 in forum US Wing
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 09-12-2015, 06:36
  4. Dfs 230 Assault Glider - Model and Card?
    By OldGuy59 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-06-2015, 09:11
  5. Plane ID request
    By Niek_vD in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-03-2011, 01:42