Ares Games

Thread: Bristol Blenheim MkIV Crew management card and Maneuver deck

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

Default Bristol Blenheim MkIV Crew management card and Maneuver deck

Greetings all,
    I found an aircraft card for the Bristol Blenheim MkIV in the files section under custom cards. But what I have not seen is the crew management card for this airplane.
    Also, what is the B/A Maneuver deck? Not familiar with that one.

If someone has made a crew management card for this airplane that would be awesome! I have one Bristol Blenheim MkIV kit from Zvezda and thinking of getting a few more for a couple of scenario ideas that I have in mind.
    So any help would be appreciated! Thanks

I think the concept is that, since the Blenheim only has three crew and just one pilot, treat it as a heavy fighter and don't bother with a management card.

The Bristol Blenheim had a similar performance to the Dornier Do.17 bomber. I suggest that you use the same manoeuvre deck until the official Blenheim models come out.

One thing which disappointed me about the Zvezda model was the absence of the under nose rearward firing gun blister, even though it was depicted on the box cover art.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Default But...

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    The Bristol Blenheim had a similar performance to the Dornier Do.17 bomber. I suggest that you use the same manoeuvre deck until the official Blenheim models come out.

One thing which disappointed me about the Zvezda model was the absence of the under nose rearward firing gun blister, even though it was depicted on the box cover art.
    Yeah I hear ya on that, but here's the thing. I noticed that the cylindrical clear moulding nubs that were attached to the two halves of the clear cockpit would actually work "Okay" for modifying to that purpose. At least that is what I will be doing at any rate.
    Sometimes, doing a little additional work on a piece makes all the difference.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by zippyfusenet View Post
    I think the concept is that, since the Blenheim only has three crew and just one pilot, treat it as a heavy fighter and don't bother with a management card.
    Right, well, so when it takes "Crew" damage, how do you know which "crew" got hit? Or just assume 1= Pilot, 2= Bombardier, 3= Turret Gunner?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Knowitall View Post
    Right, well, so when it takes "Crew" damage, how do you know which "crew" got hit? Or just assume 1= Pilot, 2= Bombardier, 3= Turret Gunner?
    Each official plane (and the RAP) has crew wound chits to pull. More than one could be hit on receiving a wound special damage. With 3 crew, there is a 1/3 chance that two crew are wounded. If you don't have the official chits roll a d6 to see if it's 1 or 2 wounds, then roll to see who.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post

I suspect you're right, David; It's on the "Check me" list with the new decks. Backlogged due to home issues.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I suspect you're right, David; It's on the "Check me" list with the new decks. Backlogged due to home issues.
    Karl
    So far all that I have read about Bristol Blenheim indicate that it is slow compared to other aircraft in the Late 30's early 40's.
    Here are the performance characteristics
    Performance
    Maximum speed: 266 mph (428 km/h, 231 kn) at 11,800 ft (3,597 m)
    Cruise speed: 198 mph (319 km/h, 172 kn)
    Range: 1,460 mi (2,350 km, 1,270 nmi)
    Service ceiling: 27,260 ft (8,310 m)
    Time to altitude: 6,500 feet (2,000 m) in 4 minutes 10 seconds
    Wing loading: 30.7 lb/sq ft (150 kg/m2)
    Power/mass: 0.13 hp/lb (0.21 kW/kg)

Now the performance Characteristics for the Dornier Do.17
    Performance
    Maximum speed: 350 km/h (220 mph, 190 kn) at 8,040 kg (17,725 lb) at sea level
    410 km/h (255 mph) at 8,040 kg (17,725 lb) at 5,000 m (16,404 ft)
    Cruise speed: 300 km/h (190 mph, 160 kn) at 8,837 kg (19,482 lb) at 4,000 m (13,123 ft)
    Combat range: 660 km (410 mi, 360 nmi) with 1,540 l (339 imp gal) fuel and 1,000 kg (2,205 lb) of bombs
    1,010 km (628 mi) with 2,435 l (536 imp gal) fuel and 500 kg (1,102 lb) of bombs
    Service ceiling: 8,200 m (26,900 ft)
    Wing loading: 156 kg/m2 (32 lb/sq ft)
    Power/mass: 0.170 kW/kg (0.11 hp/lb)

So it would seem as if the Blenheim actually goes a bit faster than the Dornier 17
    Last edited by Captain Knowitall; 02-22-2021 at 14:47.

So it would seem as if the Blenheim actually goes a bit faster than the Dornier 17
    Probably true depending on the variant (based on the figures I could find the Mk1 Blenheim (no ventral gun blister) is marginally faster still than your figures above). However, its unclear at what weight the various figures for the Blenheim are available, so might not be a representative comparison. As WGS cards run something in the order of 5kt/mm its probably reasonable to equate their performance when the difference is only in the order of 10kt. The range of manoeuvres available is probably the more important deciding factor in the deck, and just using the Do17 deck is arguably easier than procuring a J deck and subtracting cards per the Unofficial Stats Sheet.

I'm sure Karl will come up with a well reasoned conclusion either way for the updated Unofficial Stats, but the Do17 deck is probably your best bet in the mean time. It wouldn't surprise me too much if the official models end up using the same deck.

Interesting to see what Ares does come out with. We all know it won't be what I've done.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Each official plane (and the RAP) has crew wound chits to pull. More than one could be hit on receiving a wound special damage. With 3 crew, there is a 1/3 chance that two crew are wounded. If you don't have the official chits roll a d6 to see if it's 1 or 2 wounds, then roll to see who.
    I actually do have the crew damage chits. From the original WoWS and new WoGS sets, so that's not an issue there.

OK; actually, the U deck (Do,17-Z2) is too fast, by 20-25mph. The better deck is the XF deck (Ju.88-A4). Just right speed for the Mk.I and only 6mph too slow for the Mk.IV, which is in acceptable range.
    Remember, since the Blenheim uses a heavy fighter base, the actual distance the plane moves is shorter than it would be for the Ju.88, using it's bomber base.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

A question if anyone knows: did the Mk.Is have self-sealing tanks? The various online pages mention the Mk,IVs were uparmored, so I'm guessing not?
    Karl

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

OK; actually, the U deck (Do,17-Z2) is too fast, by 20-25mph. The better deck is the XF deck (Ju.88-A4). Just right speed for the Mk.I and only 6mph too slow for the Mk.IV, which is in acceptable range.
    Remember, since the Blenheim uses a heavy fighter base, the actual distance the plane moves is shorter than it would be for the Ju.88, using it's bomber base.
    Karl
    So use the same size base that the Me.110 uses then? Also, I don't believe either of the cards are completely accurate in that the Dorsal Turret should have a 360 fire arc not the limited one that indicated on the custom card.

So use the same size base that the Me.110 uses then? Also, I don't believe either of the cards are completely accurate in that the Dorsal Turret should have a 360 fire arc not the limited one that indicated on the custom card.
    Yes, the Bf.110/Beaufighter card/base is the correct one.

Karl

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Yes, the Bf.110/Beaufighter card/base is the correct one.

Karl
    Perfect thanks!!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Okay another question re: the Blenheim. for the Maneuver deck it indicates on the aircraft card "J(b)". I get that it uses the "J" maneuver deck but what does the (b) mean?

Okay another question re: the Blenheim. for the Maneuver deck it indicates on the aircraft card "J(b)". I get that it uses the "J" maneuver deck but what does the (b) mean?
    From the Notes:
    Any deck with the modifier (b) is for bombers: no reversals, 45 degree turns, 60 degree turns or extreme side slips.
    Basically makes any non-X deck a bomber deck
    See the notes here: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2137

Karl

I attempt to make cards for Wings of Glory with some accuracy, not speculation. Sometimes, I get it wrong, because the information I find is not aaccurate, either. However, for the Blenheim, I used this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bristol B1 turret characteristics.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	299233

Name:	Blenheim reduced tail shadow.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	299232

Note: Not all turrets were designed to allow 360 degree rotation, because that required isolated, or self-contained, features that had technical and/or weight issues. The Blenheim B1 turret is one of those. This turret also didn't even have 90 degree elevation.

PS: Found this awesome info on the B.1 Turret:
    Axis History Forum - British Power-Operated Gun Turrets: The Bristol Type B.I Series
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-28-2021 at 11:32.
    Mike

I'm awaiting the delivery of my first Bristol Blenheim. Which deck is currently recommended, the J(b), or the XF?

Quote Originally Posted by abovetheclouds View Post
    I'm awaiting the delivery of my first Bristol Blenheim. Which deck is currently recommended, the J(b), or the XF?
    Unofficial stats has it as J(b). Can't wait to see what the official release uses.

Unofficial stats has it as J(b). Can't wait to see what the official release uses.
    Yeh, you and me (and a whole lot in this mess).

Karl

the official release
    Due in Q1 2054

It took a while to find it, but I had a reason why I did a plane card, then stopped.

Official Bristol Blenheim Mk.I/IV Painting Thread - Post #76

I suspect I thought the official Blenheim was not long to be released. A month before the world locked down, and has yet to fully recover.

I'm working on the unofficial management card, for the interim. As it seems we have no idea when something official might arrive.

PS: Updated line drawings:

Mk.IV Single-gun Dorsal turret:

Name:	bristol-blenheim-MkIV_Lines_SingleGun_Comp.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	333234

Mk.IV Dual-gun Dorsal turret:

Name:	bristol-blenheim-MkIV_Lines_DualGuns_Comp.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	333235

And this thing, with guns in the backs of the engine nacelles?

Name:	bristol-blenheim-MkIV_Lines_NacelleGuns_Comp.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	333236
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 11-18-2023 at 09:30.
    Mike

Draft Management Card:

Name:	WGS-Work-BlenheimIV_LeLV48_MgmtCard.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	333325

Positions are not movable in combat, as space within the plane is too restrictive. Research has indicated getting a wounded man from the turret was difficult due to the configuration, if incapacitated. Certainly too difficult to do flopping about in combat.

Name:	WGS-Work-BlenheimIV_139Sqn_MgmtCard.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	333278
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 11-18-2023 at 17:28.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    Due in Q1 2054

Perfect timing Mike. I was finally printing and organizing the plane cards and their respective decks for my latest batch of planes. So, I thank you for this crew management card.

Similar Missions

1. Error in Ju.88A-4 management card?
    By Jager in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-20-2021, 19:19
  2. WGF Wanted: Hannover CL IIIA maneuver deck and a/c card
    By 2nd Dragoon in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-21-2018, 16:17
  3. Help Bristol Blenheim Mk IV card required
    By tikkifriend in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 33