Ares Games
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Eleventh Hour - Play by PM game - Finished

Well, there are two EA heading towards you at the moment from your right so get stuck in !

"He is wise who watches"

Well, tally ho... turn 7 sent in...

7.1 Zenlizard and Sam Urai both head for the unsuspecting Gangleader147, who had largely been flying around minding his own business to this point and unleash a torrent of lead in his direction. Flames erupt from the Monoplane and he seems to be in serious trouble. Elsewhere Flash turns to follow his earlier pursuers.

7.2 A lot of aircraft are now occupying a very small area and yet amazingly no one has a shot on and no one collides!

7.3 Again no firing takes place. Sam Urai and Zenlizard break formation having flown past Gangleader147. Stumptonian and Teaticket head towards the fracas. Camel Crew turns sharply right in an attempt to get Teaticket in arc. Gangleader147 has performed an Immelmann. He may regret that as the flames and smoke billow back into the cockpit.

Interesting, I wonder which of us set him on fire?

eh, either way, he's in trouble what with the A-card draw for the start of the turn, and the mandatory straight following the Immelmann.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Interesting, I wonder which of us set him on fire?

eh, either way, he's in trouble what with the A-card draw for the start of the turn, and the mandatory straight following the Immelmann.
    It was Sam Urai (John) firing the incendiary rounds Sam.

Cool, maybe that will get him his first kill.

Looks like round 8 is going to contain a lot of careful flying or its going to be a "C" card nightmare. John I had it all planned out - then you didn't do what I wanted Next Time Round 8 on its way

Must be a canvas magnet at the bottom of the board. All planes are being drawn there. Interesting that all the Germans are to the left on one side and all the British on the right. We haven't been so organized since the start.

Lots of careful flying. Will the collision free environment continue?

Calm before the storm ! Turn 8 in..

"He is wise who watches"

Glad I brought my pistol up with me ....

Wow, this is a nail bitter. :chezy:

@Camel Crew - "Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible; and when you strike and overcome him, never let up the pursuit..."

Sending in turn 8 shortly...

8.0 The flames hungrily devour more of Gangleader147’s frail craft and as he attempts to complete his Immelmann turn they lick hungrily at the cockpit. His last thoughts as his aircraft begins it’s last descent is to give thanks that he remembered to bring his service pistol. A kill for Sam Urai.

8.1 Flash climbs to try and get back into the fight whilst Stumptonian and Camel Crew head towards Sam Urai. Teaticket has turned hard into the approaching Fokker DVII and manages to squeeze in a shot at the advancing Camel Crew with no reply. Zenlizard and Sam Urai both head towards the east.

(Please note – I had to rewind the action for this photo following a last-minute change of orders. The aircraft are in the correct position but the card under Camel Crew’s Fokker actually belongs to Stumptonian and Camel Crew in fact flew a straight)
    8.2 Stumptonian and Camel Crew both change target and head after Zenlizard, with Camel Crew manages to squeeze in a short burst. Flash takes a hard right and tucks in below and behind his wingman Stumptonian. Sam Urai has Immelmann-ed to return to the fray whilst Zenlizard has tried to put some distance between himself and his pursuers. Teaticket stalls.

8.3 All hell breaks loose as Zenlizard's now performs an Immelmann alongside Sam Urai to meet the onrushing Fokkers. Camel Crew and Zenlizard exchange fire whilst Sam Urai and Stumptonian do likewise. The skies are filled with hot lead, Stumptonian is shot down, (A second kill for Sam Urai this turn!) and Camel Crew's aircraft starts trailing smoke . Elsewhere Teaticket performs a Split S and is now on Flash’s tail.

A close up of the mayhem! Next turn should be very interesting.

Last edited by Sauerkraut; 03-01-2021 at 15:27.

What a mess!

Wtg team, the tide has turned, but still in the balance

What mayhem in the last card! Looks like time to get out the C Deck!

Sorry, flash, your avatar has bit the dust.

I thought I had squeaked by on John's last burst but 'twas not to be.

Eeek! We're making a comeback but there are a lot of damages planes up there. Next shots could be the end for some of us I'm sure.
    or

There endeth my record breaking sortie.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Sorry, flash, your avatar has bit the dust....
    Bad luck Peter, that was quite a last punch you took ! Half way mark and tables appear to have turned Me and Iain will have to be on our mettle.

"He is wise who watches"

No worrie Herr Flash. We have them right where we want them. I have a cunning plan

Salute to our brave fallen Kamarades

Sorry Andy. Changes to original Round 9 sent

Careful chaps... those Huns are still plenty dangerous!

Turn 9 sent

A bit late on this turn, there was an issue I had to clear up with Sauerkraut. But my turn 9 cards are in now.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    A bit late ............ there was an issue I had to clear up with Sauerkraut.
    Digestive blockage?
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

More of a spitting fire issue.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Bad luck Peter, that was quite a last punch you took ! Half way mark and tables appear to have turned Me and Iain will have to be on our mettle.
    Actually, receiving a damaged engine right off the bat in Turn 1 really slowed me down (pun intended)
    Thanks, Teaticket

I was surprised I lasted as long as I did.

Actually, receiving a damaged engine right off the bat in Turn 1 really slowed me down (pun intended)
    Thanks, Teaticket

I was surprised I lasted as long as I did.
    You served your country proud!

Need a spot of luck for us to push off those English ....

We appear to have had a slight communications problem, (it was late and I was tired) which has resulted in an error on the last turn. Flash's second move should have been a "right bank" (you can write your own jokes!) rather than a right turn. I have amended his moves and attached the revised end of turn photo below. It does mean that Flash was able to get a shot in on Sam Urai in 8.3. My apologies to all. Moving forward though can I ask that we all call the turns by the same name to make my life easier please. Stall turns either a Left or Right Stall, 90 Degree turns either a Left or Right turn and the more gentle turns either a left or right bank, Thanks all.

If you wish to revise your moves for Turn 9 in light of this change then please do so. I will not do the next turn for at least a couple of hours.

90 Degree turns either a Left or Right turn and the more gentle turns either a left or right bank,
    Duly noted.

That explains one of my moves where you moved me 90deg ....
    Since only a few planes have a 90Deg I called them Sharp Right/Left Turn where I referred to the others as Left Turn / Right Turn.
    It didn't make that much difference so I didn't bring it up.

I thought the card number was the definitive designation (?)

Duly noted.

That explains one of my moves where you moved me 90deg ....
    Since only a few planes have a 90Deg I called them Sharp Right/Left Turn where I referred to the others as Left Turn / Right Turn.
    It didn't make that much difference so I didn't bring it up.

I thought the card number was the definitive designation (?)
    If I was young enough to be able to read the card numbers it would help! There's a lot to manage with eight players using various different manoeuvre decks too, but it was my mistake, hence my apology. I try my best.

I was also thinking the #s were what we were going by. Card explanations were not defined. I've use right or left turn for the long turn and right 90* or left 90* for the sharp turns. I'm sure most of us call each card a little differently.

Reading the card #s It is difficult to say the least.
    I have gone to add a large number to a scanned card file so they are easily readable for internet games.

No worries, Andy.
    I, too, have trouble reading those numbers (thankful for the magnifying glass I received as a joke gift for my 50th birthday (18 years ago tomorrow )

Teaticket has some sheets with complete decks and the numbers very much enlarged - I find them very useful for online games when we have to submit card numbers.
    I am sure he could provide you copies of decks needed for a given campaign.

P.S. And here was me thinking you were a young 'un

I know that we are all human, and life happens. No worries from/by me.

Amended turn 9 sent in...

...I called them Sharp Right/Left Turn where I referred to the others as Left Turn / Right Turn...
    That's what I have done throughout too. Now we're using bank which I've never seen used before so we'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerkraut View Post
    If I was young enough to be able to read the card numbers it would help! There's a lot to manage with eight players using various different manoeuvre decks too, but it was my mistake, hence my apology. I try my best.
    Well done Andy - **it happens. You can always refer to the Mates decks online & zoom on them.

"He is wise who watches"

It doesn't help that a 6 in some of the decks we are using is a 90 degree turn.

Turn 9 is in - will check back later.

"He is wise who watches"

We appear to have had a slight communications problem, (it was late and I was tired) which has resulted in an error on the last turn. Flash's second move should have been a "right bank" (you can write your own jokes!) rather than a right turn. I have amended his moves and attached the revised end of turn photo below. It does mean that Flash was able to get a shot in on Sam Urai in 8.3. My apologies to all. Moving forward though can I ask that we all call the turns by the same name to make my life easier please. Stall turns either a Left or Right Stall, 90 Degree turns either a Left or Right turn and the more gentle turns either a left or right bank, Thanks all.

If you wish to revise your moves for Turn 9 in light of this change then please do so. I will not do the next turn for at least a couple of hours.
    Yes, could you possibly put my plane out and get it back in the air?

Quote Originally Posted by Gangleader147 View Post
    Yes, could you possibly put my plane out and get it back in the air?
    Not enough of it left I'm afraid Lee. Burnt to a crisp.

Not enough of it left I'm afraid Lee. Burnt to a crisp.
    Let alone the pistol bullet through the brain!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    I didn't realise he was that good a shot!

9.1 Camel Crew, Zenlizard, Flash and Sam Urai all seem to want to occupy the same position but at different altitudes. (Just trying to make my job more difficult I think). Teaticket powers towards them and a line of fresh holes appears on Camel Crew’s Fokker as a single Vickers barks out.

9.2 The formation splits up as our intrepid aviators all head in slightly different directions. Camel Crew has Sam Urai in his sights but doesn't seem to have noticed as he works feverishly on unjamming a Spandau.

9.3 Flash and Zenlizard turn back in towards Camel Crew who is still trailing smoke. Sam Urai has slipped away from Camel Crew for now whilst Teaticket has stalled.

Last edited by Sauerkraut; 03-02-2021 at 22:52.

Flash - break out the rubber band gun!

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    I didn't realise he was that good a shot!
    Maybe it was a lucky shot, it had to get through that skull!

Wow! The huddle is broke up! Who is going to catch the long BOOM!

Time to spread out a little and try to line up a shot. Who will get it first?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. over Flanders - another Play by PM game - Finished
    By Sauerkraut in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 212
    Last Post: 01-31-2021, 01:02
  2. Solo game play
    By Sgt. in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-25-2020, 07:19
  3. Play by email game
    By chequers in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 05-02-2019, 07:00
  4. As if I needed another game to play....
    By STICK in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2013, 15:18
  5. mats to play game.
    By boardgamer55 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-30-2010, 20:29