Ares Games
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Eleventh Hour - Play by PM game - Finished

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerkraut View Post
    Much better!
    It's a bumble bee!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Urai View Post
    It's a bumble bee!
    More like an angry hornet! Nothing bumbling about those Fokkers.

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Well, that didn't work out the way I played it in my head Round 4 on its way
    I know that feeling!

4.1 The guns fall largely silent as our protagonists manoeuvre carefully, waiting for an opponent to make a mistake and surrender a decisive advantage. Sam Urai and Teaticket both turn in towards Gangleader147 and Stumptonian. Flash follows Baz’s fleeing SE5a whilst Camel Crew stall turns to give himself a shot on Zenlizard.

4.2 Sam Urai banks after Stumptonian and pours fire into the Fokker from above. Baz sideslips and allows Flash to catch up, receiving a short burst to highlight his error. Gangleader147 turns towards Teaticket but remains out of range as the Snipe stalls. Elsewhere, Zenlizard and Camel Crew disengage from each other.

4.3 Things go from bad to worse for Stumptonian and Baz as they both fail to shake off their tormentors and receive long bursts of fire at +1. Teaticket and Camel Crew look to come to their wingmen’s aid but fail to close the range sufficiently. Gangleader147 and Zenlizard have momentarily left the action.

Round 5 being revised after dispatch from the front by slow pigeon received.

I will have it to you shortly, Andy

Getting hot!

Good shooting Sam and Dave.

T5 in.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post

I did think you were a little quick off the mark with Turn 5 moves. To be fair to the pigeon it had to dodge a lot of lead that turn!

Just to let everyone know how brutal this dogfight has been so far, at the completion of the fourth turn some 47 points of damage have been dished out.

Lovely! Love seeing the flash of gunfire!!! Keep up the great work soldiers!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Lovely! Love seeing the flash of gunfire!!!
    Thanks Dan, never been called 'the flash of gunfire' before !

Turn 5 inbound

"He is wise who watches"

Just to let everyone know how brutal this dogfight has been so far, at the completion of the fourth turn some 47 points of damage have been dished out.
    So we have gone for a Hollywood style dogfight rather than a historical interpretation?

Quote Originally Posted by Gangleader147 View Post
    So we have gone for a Hollywood style dogfight rather than a historical interpretation?
    And the problem is?

And the problem is?
    Didn’t say there was ....

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post

Are you trying to appeal to my sense of chivalry?

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Lovely! Love seeing the flash of gunfire!!! Keep up the great work soldiers!
    Soldiers!?! We are Airmen! Knights of the sky! Not mud sloggers (those poor bastards)!

OK - let's see if i can keep up the pressure... i have managed to get into a fortuitous position...

Turn 5 submitted

5.1 Baz tries to outrun Flash but finds himself on the receiving end of more Spandau fire. How much more can he take? Stumptonian dives to shake off his pursuer but Sam Urai has anticipated this and follows him down pouring more fire into the Fokker. Realising he is leaving the battle area, Zenlizard pulls a Split S and heads back to get involved.

5.2 Baz has had enough of being chased by the flying razor and performs an Immelmann turn before exchanging fire with his tormentor. Stumptonian shakes off Sam Urai with a hard left turn. Deprived of his prey, Sam Urai heads towards Flash but is out of range by the thickness of a coat of paint. Camel Crew has momentarily lost track of Sam Urai and the SE5a slides a few degrees out of his firing arc. Elsewhere Gangleader147 and Zenlizard head back towards the centre of the battlefield.

5.3 Flash and Baz exchange pleasantries as they fly past each other. Sam Urai has come to the aid of his wingman and opens fire on Flash. This seems to have attracted Camel Crew’s attention and he reacquires the SE5a and gives it a burst. In the north, Teaticket performs a Split-S and heads towards Gangleader147. He’s been seen though and Gangleader147 banks left away from the danger. Zenlizard takes a sharp right and heads towards Flash in the SW corner. It’s looking very busy down there.

It would seem that the air to lead ratio is getting a little askew...

Brace yourself then John.. there's more coming !
    Thanks wingman

Just noticed I'm passing 17,000 & still climbing

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Brace yourself then John.. there's more coming !
    Thanks wingman

Just noticed I'm passing 17,000 & still climbing

Congrats on the 17K Dave!

T6 in.

Round 6 sent in... :fingerscrossed:

Shout out to Gangleader147. Just realised he has set a new personal best by reaching Turn 6 of a game alive. Well done Lee!

Shout out to Gangleader147. Just realised he has set a new personal best by reaching Turn 6 of a game alive. Well done Lee!
    First time for everything ....

What do you mean 'Hold my pint' ?

"He is wise who watches"

What do you mean 'Hold my pint' ?
    Round 6 is in so who knows what will happen. I may as well go for a random blind hand deal ����

Gawd I hope not - RAF are there for the taking !

"He is wise who watches"

I too have doubled my best, previous being 3rd turn (first game), so happy with progress. The hun are exactly where we need them now, shouldn’t be long before the end! Round 6 in.

Just waiting on one more set of orders before I can sort Turn 6.

Hang on Flash, be there in a second. Round 6 sent

6.1 Having drawn a lot of unwanted attention to himself, Flash now heads for the treetops to escape. Camel Crew is still covering him and fires into Sam Urai’s SE5a once more. Teaticket, Stumptonian and Gangleader147 are still seeking suitable targets.

The view over Flash’s right shoulder.

6.2 With their prey having slipped away Zenlizard, Sam Urai and Baz now need to avoid colliding with each other. Camel Crew switches target as Baz’s SE5a fills his gunsights. Bullets crash into the pilot and airframe and it begins to break up as it spirals down to earth. Teaticket and Stumptonian exchange fire with a loud bang issuing from the Snipe, whilst Gangleader147 appears to be lost.

It’s busy down here!

RIP Baz.

6.3 The guns fall silent as our intrepid pilots seek to get back into position following the hectic action of this turn.

Haha - what's "ta-ta suckers" in German ?!
    Perfect job Iain !! What a mistake to make, you're welcome to the kill

Lets get another !
    Last edited by flash; 02-28-2021 at 08:22.

"He is wise who watches"

You could try "Auf wiedersehn Englander Dummkopfs!"

I appear to have made a slight error with Teaticket's second and third moves in Turn 6 (Swapped places on the dashboard, the sneaky little imps!) I have gone back and applied them in the correct order and it makes no difference to the shooting that took place or to the final positions. However it does mean that Teaticket finished on a right sideslip rather than a stall (steep). My apologies to all and here is the amended photo.

Clear skies ahead Flash Right then, Who's next? Sending Round 7 in now

Yep, watch your back, they'll be after us now !

"He is wise who watches"

First downed pilot! Who will be next! Been a fun game to watch! I need more popcorn!

Good luck to remaining pilots, thanks for the chase and game.

Thanks Baz, a couple of errors got you killed, one let me catch up, the second proved fatal it seems. I didn't expect to get, or, stay in touch, thought you'd break away and leave me clutching at straws but it didn't happen. I was going to Immel behind you in turn 6 but realised there were two wingmen coming to your aid and, if you'd gone straight on, I'd have been out of range due to climbing in the Immel anyway. I chose the dive to escape their attentions and get the heck out of Dodge before they put me in Boot Hill !

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks Baz, a couple of errors got you killed, one let me catch up, the second proved fatal it seems. I didn't expect to get, or, stay in touch, thought you'd break away and leave me clutching at straws but it didn't happen. I was going to Immel behind you in turn 6 but realised there were two wingmen coming to your aid and, if you'd gone straight on, I'd have been out of range due to climbing in the Immel anyway. I chose the dive to escape their attentions and get the heck out of Dodge before they put me in Boot Hill !
    Hi, yes already spoke to Andy about the mistake of the side slip (2nd time in 2 games) and should have just stayed ahead of you. Those first two long shots took 4 & 4 which when added to the early hits (including the fire) proved too much. By the end when I turned I was left with only one damage point so was trying to get in a shot before I left (I guessed you might Immelmann?). Still good fun and had plenty of flying time and still got off a few shots, so improving each game. Just leaving it to my teammates.
    Was trying to think of some way of using higher gun advantage, but it isn’t actually much advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Hi, yes already spoke to Andy about the mistake of the side slip (2nd time in 2 games) and should have just stayed ahead of you. Those first two long shots took 4 & 4 which when added to the early hits (including the fire) proved too much. By the end when I turned I was left with only one damage point so was trying to get in a shot before I left (I guessed you might Immelmann?). Still good fun and had plenty of flying time and still got off a few shots, so improving each game. Just leaving it to my teammates.
    Was trying to think of some way of using higher gun advantage, but it isn’t actually much advantage.
    To get the most out of your Higher Machine Gun you need to get below your opponents and stay there. I agree it's not a huge advantage but then it isn't meant to be, just to reflect the historical capability of the Lewis Gun mounting.

Sometimes it's the smallest error or miscalculation that does you in but, for us at least, there's always next time !

"He is wise who watches"

Sometimes it's the smallest error or miscalculation that does you in but, for us at least, there's always next time !
    For me - left and rights, which is odd as I’m really good at navigating with a map. Or staying on the table!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. over Flanders - another Play by PM game - Finished
    By Sauerkraut in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 212
    Last Post: 01-31-2021, 01:02
  2. Solo game play
    By Sgt. in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-25-2020, 07:19
  3. Play by email game
    By chequers in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 05-02-2019, 07:00
  4. As if I needed another game to play....
    By STICK in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2013, 15:18
  5. mats to play game.
    By boardgamer55 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-30-2010, 20:29