Ares Games

Thread: Zombie Planes (Curious aren't you?)

Default Zombie Planes (Curious aren't you?)

Hi everyone!

I've come up with another house rule and I need you guy's take on it (again). When a plane gets shot down, the "body" doesn't suddenly dissapear. That in mind, I thought that once a plane runs out of health, it begins to auto-fall. The plane is no longer being controled by anyone. The mini (if being used) is replaced with it's card, so to not interfere with pacement. The plane loses either 1 altitude or 1 climb counter (opinion time!) every round. The rules governing collisions apply to the "body" and a plane that it hits. Yes, C damage deck. If the plane performed anything but a stall, short straight (L Deck), climb, or stall turn (L Deck again!) when it's shot down, the "body" goes forward with a straight, like a bomb. If the plane was performing a stall, climb, short straight, or stall turn, it goes forward with a stall. (like a bomb!)
    Any opinions such as altitude losing, damage, or direction will be happily accepted.

Thanks!
    Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Aero825 View Post
    Hi everyone!

I've come up with another house rule and I need you guy's take on it (again). When a plane gets shot down, the "body" doesn't suddenly dissapear. That in mind, I thought that once a plane runs out of health, it begins to auto-fall. The plane is no longer being controled by anyone. The mini (if being used) is replaced with it's card, so to not interfere with pacement. The plane loses either 1 altitude or 1 climb counter (opinion time!) every round. The rules governing collisions apply to the "body" and a plane that it hits. Yes, C damage deck. If the plane performed anything but a stall, short straight (L Deck), climb, or stall turn (L Deck again!) when it's shot down, the "body" goes forward with a straight, like a bomb. If the plane was performing a stall, climb, short straight, or stall turn, it goes forward with a stall. (like a bomb!)
    Any opinions such as altitude losing, damage, or direction will be happily accepted.

Thanks!
    Hunter
    Good ideas...since most discriptions of aircraft going down talk about them either going into a straight down dive, or a spin, you could also play the dive card on the first maneuver and stall cards for each additional maneuver after that and lose 1 alt level per card to simulate the death dive, or use the rules posted in this thread for augering in. http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...highlight=spin Let us know what works out for you.

"I have *had it* with these [CENSORED] Zombie [CENSORED] Planes!"

Any chance of adding a "Bailout" mechanic? I know some pilots wore chutes, so that might also add a new dimension... (especially with a "pilot fall" mechanic and some of the "downed pilot" mini's I've seen for other games) and a new mission for two-seaters, having to land and recover downed flyers and return them to the airfield to get them into the game again.

Maybe, but not all pilots wore chutes, just the few lucky ones.

Zombie Pilot: "More Planes"

And the gliding thread http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...hlight=gliding

Good thinking Hunter!

We don't specify why the kites are knocked out of the sky, its just that the airframe has failed ..
    So, draw a card at random and thats how it goes down. The card, in effect, shows how brutal the failure was, a
    A straight =glide/ snapped cables,
    A stall would be total airframe failure, plummet straight down,
    A tight turn =tight spin, snapped wing...etc
    Altitude loss varies, from Overdive to a glide.
    The more manueverable the airframes is then the less stable they are, so thats why their nastier results are available.

For multi engine a/c draw one card for each engine, and take the nastier result (a bit of a game mechanic, more than a real reason)
    Last edited by Justin3.14; 01-21-2011 at 08:28.

Good point, Hunter, and small enough chutes for plane use weren't available until '18--I was thinking in part to add a wrinkle for multiplayer. (Of course, if the damage card is a kB! or "Pilot Kill", it doesn't apply... though if I were GIB'ing on a two-seater and my pilot ate a killshot, you'd better believe I'd try to switch seats, if possible moving the stiff into the rear or if necessary (with some regret) dropping over the side.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2011, 22:36
  2. Old Planes?
    By DougB in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-02-2010, 14:18
  3. Two Of The Same Planes...
    By pistonpopper in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-13-2010, 16:33
  4. 25+ Planes on the same table?