Ares Games

Thread: New here and Just saying hey from Cockeysville

Default New here and Just saying hey from Cockeysville

Just joined the site and will be getting a few planes and the starter pack soon. Just wanted to say hey and looking forward to having some fun.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Hello Al! Welcome aboard from another new member. This has been a very welcoming site, and I hope you enjoy your time here.

What war do you like to fly in, WWI, WWII, or post WWII? What aircraft do you have on order?

Regards,
    Mike

To be honest I have not bought anything yet. I am kinda leaning towards WW1 because you can get the ruleset. I could not find the rule set for WW2 and did not know of post-war stuff. I doing my homework on what I need. So any guidance would be great. Thank you

Welcome, Al! They are fun games and the members here are a wealth of knowledge. You might get into the history, model-making, painting, etc and down the rabbit hole you go

For WW1 the Rules and Accessories Pack has the latest rules as well as the tokens, range rulers, and damage decks needed. A good mix of readily available planes to choose from: Fokker Dr.I, Camel, Albatros D.Va, SE5a, and there are many others.

For WW2 the Battle of Britain kit is the best place to start, latest rules, tokens, range rulers, damage decks, effectively the WW2 Rules and Accessories pack. It took me quite a long time to figure that out You get a few planes with it and could add more Bf109E, Spitfires, or Hurricanes. The Pacific Theater planes are harder to come by.

Welcome to the fray

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Vilkas View Post
    To be honest I have not bought anything yet. I am kinda leaning towards WW1 because you can get the ruleset. I could not find the rule set for WW2 and did not know of post-war stuff. I doing my homework on what I need. So any guidance would be great. Thank you
    I received the Battle of Britain kit as a Christmas present, and then proceeded to fall down the "rabbit hole." I purchased as many early war fighters and bombers as were available from the Aerodrome store. So now I can fly most of the missions in the BoB scenario book, along with some other missions from Malta, Dunkirk and France '40. I have nearly 40 aircraft in my collection now.

I saw the WW1 Rules and Accessories Pack in the Aerodrome store so I grab that one and a few planes. Plus my Grandfather flew for the newly formed Lithuanian Air force in 1918. I have not seen the Battle of Britain set anywhere for sale yet. As for the rabbit hole already there with some other games ( flames of War, Star wars x wing, and legion ).

Hey Al, welcome to the Aerodrome. WWI has many more available planes so easier to get into. WW2 of course has it's own wonderful airplanes but availability other than Battle of Britain is an issue. If you like modeling and painting then the options are endless with Shapeways for WWI and AIM for WW2.

Be careful getting into this game. Soon you will be crying about addiction. Save yourself the trouble and accept it and give in.

Hi Al from the beautiful Hudson River Valley. My oldest daughter was a special ed teacher in Baltimore for 3 years, so we trekked to Maryland on many occasion.
    Bill

Hello All

Welcome from dear old Blighty. Dive in and Enjoy your stay

Welcome from Montana! Enjoy the slow.. well no so slow... rapid accent into the clouds of WOG and WOW.

Welcome from the Eastern Shore!!

Hi Al - welcome to the 'Drome, from across "the Pond"!

If you have any questions, fire away!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

welcome to the drome from the frigid land of buckeyes Al

Welcome from frozen Oregon, Al.

You have found the right site for this game.
    (Finally go our power back on after nearly 24hrs)

Hi Al and welcome to the best forum on the web. These guys are amazing and will help you with whatever you want.

Just joined the site and will be getting a few planes and the starter pack soon. Just wanted to say hey and looking forward to having some fun.
    Greetings neighbor! (Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia). Welcome to the addiction.

(welcoming head bobs) from the lizard a little bit south of you. In addition to the advice some have already given, I would say:
    check out the files section here for scads of add-ons: rules expansions, "unofficial" aircraft, scenarios, etc, etc.
    If you're looking for opponents, while the dreaded virus has pretty much shut things down for the moment, we're still hopeful that we will be able to resume sometime in the near future. There's a group of us that played once a month on Thursday nights at Gritty Goblin games in Laurel.
    I've made a couple of abortive attempts to get people together at Play More Games in Gaithersburg.
    Meanwhile, most of us are playing either solo (several solo campaigns have started, the latest one is close to finishing, in fact), on-line (see Mikejr74's post above), or there are a couple of play-by-email games current.
    And if you have any other questions, just ask around, you'll find we're a friendly bunch.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Al, from over here in the United Kingdom. There is much on this website to add to your enjoyment of the game. In particular look at the Files section.

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words and guidence

Baltic Bob's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

Labas Vilkas!

Welcome to the Aerodrome!
    Although the virus has shut our group (6-8) down for a while, hopefully we will be flying again
    soon and would be happy to have you join us.

We play air combat from WW1 using the established rule set as well as scenarios designed by our members.

My specialty (?) is the Baltic conflicts of the interwar period - 1918-20. Since your grandfather
    flew with the Lithuanian Air Force of this period, I would welcome the chance to talk with you some time
    and exchange ideas. As you probably are aware, between the WOW planes, Shapeways, etc. , it is quite possible to build
    your own Lithuanian Air Force.

Hope to see you at the Gritty Goblin sometime soon.

Baltic Bob ����

Welcome aboard from the U.K. Mike, hope you find as many friends on here as I have.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Labas
    That could be cool to try and build a Lithuanian aircraft. I think chatting would be very cool. let me get my set. They are on the way .. Where is the Gritty Gobin?

Quote Originally Posted by Vilkas
    Where is the Gritty Gobin?
    Officially, Fulton, MD: just outside of Laurel:
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39.1...8!2d39.1483071

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Officially, Fulton, MD: just outside of Laurel:
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39.1...8!2d39.1483071

Cool, that's not that far from me.

Core set, 6 fighters, 1 big ass bomber, and a Game mat all came in .. Now I am in trouble. I keep looking for more aircraft..

Now you need some 2-seaters, a Rumpler and an RE8

What is a Rumpler and an RE8? I am looking a few 2 seaters

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Now you need some 2-seaters, a Rumpler and an RE8
    What is a Rumpler and an RE8? I am looking a few 2 seaters
    The Rumpler C.IV and RE8 were 2 seat work horses during the war. (More so the RE8) They make good mission planes for recon, artillery spotting..... Always good to have some 2 seaters as they did the real work in the air.

I just won an ebay lot with a handful of RE8s. I can get you one or two and a Rumpler for a good price.

One of the first planes I purchased was a Belgian RE8. I actually said out loud at the store, "A Belgian Harry Tate?"
    So how many books are in your personal library?

welcome to the drome from the land of buckeyes Al youll quickly find yourself sliding headlong down a slippery slope lol. just surrender to the inevitable. itll save you time lol.

Welcome from Kansas! Happy flying!

Welcome, Al, from the land down under.
    As others have said, you will get nothing but good help from the members of this Forum. And, as you have already discovered in this Thread, encouragement and humour as well.

Hi Al. Sorry I just saw this. Welcome to the Drome. Great people in many ways.

Hi Al, welcome from another newbie. The folks in this group are very welcoming and generous with their experience and knowledge - I’m sure you will enjoy flying with us!
    ��
    Best wishes from Tassie,
    Cheers, Peter.

Baltic Bob's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

I saw the WW1 Rules and Accessories Pack in the Aerodrome store so I grab that one and a few planes. Plus my Grandfather flew for the newly formed Lithuanian Air force in 1918. I have not seen the Battle of Britain set anywhere for sale yet. As for the rabbit hole already there with some other games ( flames of War, Star wars x wing, and legion ).
    Hi Vilkas,

You may be interested in Checking the After action report for the Gritty Goblin Games of May. 6. The Lithuanian Escadrille made an appearance. Our next get together should be in early June - although exactly when I am not sure. Hope to see you there.

Baltic Bob 🇱🇹

Next game night is June 3rd at 6pm at the Gritty Goblin in Columbia MD right off Cedar Lane and Freetown Road. Baltic will be there to talk about the Lithuanian Air Corps if you come.

Welcome to the 'Drome' Al from over the pond here in West Yorkshire in the good old UK.
    Sorry for being so late to acknowledge your entry, must have missed your original entry.
    Fly safe and always watch your six!
    Last edited by Rebel; 05-28-2021 at 16:19. Reason: Spelling error.

Bienvenue from Brittany Al . Plenty of peeps here on the forum who can answer your questions and perhaps source some planes you might be missing.
    Paul

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

And greetings from me, another newbie here!

I hope you're finding this a great community as I have so far? Everyone's been very welcoming and the support from everyone is outstanding! - Hope you're settling in well!
    Would love to see some posts about any latest additions to your collection. I'm currently waiting on a few packages to arrive... Big fan of the WW1 era and absolutely hooked on the Tripods and Triplanes game!

Cheers to you!... Tally-ho! Chocks away! Cups of tea waiting on your return!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Urai View Post
    Greetings neighbor! (Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia). Welcome to the addiction.

Hey! Are you near Harper's Ferry? I'm over in Brunswick and looking for somewhat local players (just getting my BoB set in the mail this week).

Marty

Welcome to the Drome from here in Dear Old Blighty Marty.
    You will be pleased to know that I have now granted you full posting rights, so enjoy the Drome and all the interesting post available here.
    Fly safe.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."