Ares Games

Thread: Zeppelin-Staaken "Raid"

Default Zeppelin-Staaken "Raid"

It was a dark and starry night, when the 8 men clambered aboard the giant Zeppelin-Staaken bomber. Tonight's mission had been a routine 7 hour flight to London and back. The faint outline of the jagged lines of the trenches where nearing. But, engine trouble had caused the great bird to lag behind and the sun was now beginning to rise. Just when Hans thought he would clear the lines safely, a motely bunch of 6 Allied planes began their plunge to stop them from getting back home. Johann Aldenroder, having been separated from his Jasta's dawn patrol, moved to aide the bomber.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bomber 1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	297352

A swooping Sopwith dove down on the huge right wing and the engine there. Three of the giant's six machine guns responded and sent it scattering down underneath the giant, but the behemoth's fuel tank on the left wing burst into flames.

Hans glanced out the left windows to see where his lone interceptor might be. He had quickly been swarmed, but broke free and was now struggling to keep up.

Name:	Bomber 2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	297353

On and on the trenches came. The flames clambered along the wings. Despite his best efforts, he could not get the flames to go out. Hopefully, the fuel will run out.

Just has he cleared the lines, a long burst came through the side of the huge enclosed cabin severely wounding Hans, the pilot. Before he blacked out, his trusty co-pilot, Martin, took over the controls. When he came too, he learned that the scout that had come to help, was never heard from again. Their huge plane had barely made it back to the landing field.

Name:	Bomber 3.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	297354

Those Staaken can be tough but I think you found that out !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

This story is nicely written.

Nice to see some non-solo gaming happening.

Thanks for posting.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Them big buggers are hard to bring down. Nice AAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Them big buggers are hard to bring down. Nice AAR.
    I think I told the story about a Gotha vs Caproni slugfest at Enfilade one year... long, slow and grueling, like a Jutland in the sky. Put it together with O/400s and Staakens and it'd probably be even more so...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Those Staaken can be tough but I think you found that out !
    It flew all the way across the board, on fire most of the way, and survived with a single point of damage left, 1 dead crew member, 1 severely wounded pilot.

What you needed Sam, was Bristols....

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    What you needed Sam, was Bristols....
    I was flying the Giant. So... for this game, was grateful to not have seen them.

EVERYONE's grateful for not seeing Chris's Bristols!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    EVERYONE's grateful for not seeing Chris's Bristols!
    Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Urai View Post
    Why is that?
    PM info behind Chris's Bristols sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I think I told the story about a Gotha vs Caproni slugfest at Enfilade one year... long, slow and grueling, like a Jutland in the sky. Put it together with O/400s and Staakens and it'd probably be even more so...

my friends and i have flown both of those scenarios, sort of a gunship v gunship. though the 0/400 v staaken is a bit one sided considering the disparity in firepower lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Urai View Post
    It flew all the way across the board, on fire most of the way, and survived with a single point of damage left, 1 dead crew member, 1 severely wounded pilot.

at origins a few years ago, i didnt put up much fight as my guns kept jamming. on my 1st shot of the game 3 of my 5 guns jammed!!! and then when i got to the barrage balloon line my little friends failed to clear the way in front and i got a rudder jam preventing me from turning towards the one they did clear. i had to make a long slow turn in the other direction, basically scraping my wingtip on the remaining barrage balloon. i only made it about 3/4s of the way around before the scenario ended. it was definitely interesting.

Similar Missions

1. Raid on "Henderson Field"
    By BodeGier in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-04-2020, 16:34
  2. Other Wanted: Zeppelin Airship "miniature" - Clipper1801 built
    By seanmyles in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-28-2018, 20:06
  3. Great pic of B-24 "Diamond Lil" from the Ploesti Raid
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-08-2015, 20:23
  4. "Easy Zeppelin 2D/3D" Test Mission. The Wives Strike Back.
    By Nightbomber in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-03-2014, 14:38
  5. AAR Over The Trenches Mission 9 "Gun Ho" The Raid. Bulldogs Squadron.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-22-2012, 04:11