Ares Games

Thread: Bouncing with Manfred & Reinhold

Default Bouncing with Manfred & Reinhold

This is a 2 v 1 scenario I did some time ago with a brace of Albatros D.V against a single SE.5 trying out some positioning and blooding the blood red D.V !
    I'm using my own Alt rules, D8 solo charts and will be playing jams as effecting single guns in a pair, something I've always done with separate systems like those on the SE.5 but am now carrying into standard twin mounts.

Johnny is the new boy in the squadron and is lucky enough to join when the new SE.5 is being issued. It seems some of the chaps don't get on with it but it's streets ahead of what Johnny had used in training. Being new brought it's own issues, of course, one of them keeping in contact with his own flight. He wasn't sure what had happened. One minute they were there just in front of him, they passed through some clouds and then they weren't.
    He didn't mind though, he had this thoroughbred beneath him and was revelling in its speed and handling, he just needed to figure out where he was and head back home is all. While peering at the ground trying to make out a landmark that might be familiar from his few previous flight Manfred & Reinhold turned up with other ideas for him...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2402.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	297183

Johnny was instantly aware they were there as they dived upon him with Spandaus blazing - rounds clatter through his airframe and shocking pain stabs across his ribs

Name:	SAM_2403.JPG 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	297184

Johnny hauls the stick hard over to the left, pain searing through his right side, giving his unwelcome visitors the slip

Name:	SAM_2405.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	297185

He immediately reverses his turn to see if he can get back on them while they sort themselves out

Name:	SAM_2406.JPG 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	297186

Johnny tightens his turn though it hurts fearfully and glances at his opposition, he's stunned to see an all red machine turning for him, could that be.. surely not.

Name:	SAM_2407.JPG 
Size:	215.5 KB 
ID:	297187

As he rolls out of the turn Johnny instinctively grasps the triggers and both his guns bark until the Lewis stops. The Red machine looks unaffected; the yellow machine whips round in a high reversal.

Name:	SAM_2408.JPG 
Size:	224.0 KB 
ID:	297188

Johnny breaks in the opposite direction to the Hun and holds the turn, the red machine turns after him again.

Name:	SAM_2409.JPG 
Size:	207.9 KB 
ID:	297189

Name:	SAM_2410.JPG 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	297190

They turn inexorably toward each other, then the bullets fly at close range - lead crashes about Johnny but slackens off as his Vickers barks his defiance..

Name:	SAM_2411.JPG 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	297191

They part company, Johnny works on his jammed Lewis, he must really get away, the wound is troubling him but the yellow beggar will cut him off if he tries it so he keeps turning

Name:	SAM_2412.JPG 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	297192

Johnny takes them both on. Both guns are working now and he trades with the red machine at close range once more, as the yellow chips in from further out. The Baron, as that's who it must surely be, sets his machine on fire

Name:	SAM_2413.JPG 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	297193

Johnny heads for the barn as he slips past the yellow kite; the red machine gets itself turned around as he sorts his jammed gun

Name:	SAM_2414.JPG 
Size:	221.5 KB 
ID:	297194

Nearly there, Johnny is willing his machine home when the yellow machine lads a telling long range effort that sends the SE spinning to oblivion..

Name:	SAM_2415.JPG 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	297195

Butcher's Tally:

Name:	SAM_2416.JPG 
Size:	216.3 KB 
ID:	297196
    Johnny: SD-FLM-ET/WIA/ 0 kills

Name:	SAM_2417.JPG 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	297197
    Manfred: RTB 0 kills
    Reinhold: RTB 1 kill

Sometimes they are not as easy as they look said Manfred to Reinhold as they viewed the damage to his new red machine..
    Last edited by flash; 02-05-2021 at 00:42. Reason: Clarification

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Johnny's definitely a rookie. He thought he had jammed his guns when it should have been the Baron! He also should have known better than to play with the master.

Nice AAR, Dave.

Love the repaints - I don't believe I've seen that Reinhold machine before.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Johnny's definitely a rookie. He thought he had jammed his guns when it should have been the Baron!...
    They both jammed a gun. Johnny on his first shot, Manfred on their second. Though looking back I probably miscounted the clearance of Johnny's jam. I played this back in Nov or Dec I think.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    They both jammed a gun. Johnny on his first shot, Manfred on their second. Though looking back I probably miscounted the clearance of Johnny's jam. I played this back in Nov or Dec I think.
    I was confused seeing a jam marker on Johnny and he still took a shot at the Baron. The Baron then jammed but the next pic and caption had Johnny with a jam marker and working on his Lewis. Must have been the confusion in heat of battle!

Nice looking repaint for Reinhold, as Tim said.

I was confused seeing a jam marker on Johnny and he still took a shot at the Baron. The Baron then jammed but the next pic and caption had Johnny with a jam marker and working on his Lewis. Must have been the confusion in heat of battle!
    Johnny fired his Vickers with a 'B' deck draw.

Nice one, Dave. You seem to be getting a lot of action outside OTT.

Nice looking repaint for Reinhold, as Tim said.
    Ach so ! Yeah, I should have clarified that I was playing an alternate jam system. I've always played the SE.5 guns as separate but have extended that to any two gun system as that's how it worked from my reading. Makes life a little harder when a jam doesn't save your buns !

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    ..Love the repaints - I don't believe I've seen that Reinhold machine before.
    ..Nice looking repaint for Reinhold, as Tim said.
    I'm surprised Tim, that was one of the first I ever did. It doesn't come out very often but has appeared in AAR's before and it's been out at shows.
    In the early days when we only had a few models I personalised my original Jentsch model so we could get two on the table without confusion. I tidied up the paintjob on the wings, painted the spinner & wheels red, added a band on it with a decal from a WW2 German tank on it as a personal marking. Bavarian I think..
    "Follow the Bear" as the old Hofmeister lager advert went (when beer ads were allowed to be fun !)
    Last edited by flash; 02-05-2021 at 02:54.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash
    [...] I've always played the SE.5 guns as separate but have extended that to any two gun system as that's how it worked from my reading.[...]
    Ok, I always thought a jam is caused mainly by shells which got stuck in the gun mechanism. So the other gun of a twin layout shouldn't be affected. I like this house rule!

Oswald Boelcke, flying his Fokker D.III, reported that once one of his guns jammed, the other fired "all the better", and he shot down his target!

Albatros fighters had separate gun triggers as well as a combination one, so a pilot could fire one, or the other, or both (Osprey Air Vanguard No. 5 'Albatros D.I - D.II).
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Ah, I don't play with the half jam house rule. Maybe it's time I get up with the times!

Ah, I don't play with the half jam house rule. Maybe it's time I get up with the times!
    Go on, you know you want to !

Saved my aces' bacon on more than one occasion during The Bitter End series of OTT.

I think I was the one who pressed for the Optional Rule to be added.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Oswald Boelcke, flying his Fokker D.III, reported that once one of his guns jammed, the other fired "all the better", and he shot down his target!
    [...]
    The same effect can be observed on car blinkers.

Maybe there could be achieved a higher fire frequency, if the mechanism of the interruption gear had only to block one gun?
    Last edited by Karo7; 02-05-2021 at 11:24.

Another good AAR, you have been busy. Manfred got a bit of a shock too.
    Quick question for you, do you normally apply your limited ammo rules to the SE5's Lewis gun?

Yes but by the time the SE5 came out the Lewis had the double stack pan so I limit it to 6 bursts, which is often enough for a mission I find.
    I have some bullet markers spare for you by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Yes but by the time the SE5 came out the Lewis had the double stack pan so I limit it to 6 bursts, which is often enough for a mission I find.
    I have some bullet markers spare for you by the way.
    Thanks Dave, you're a star!

Similar Missions

1. Bouncing Otto & Lothar - The Worm Turns.
    By flash in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-22-2020, 00:36
  2. Bouncing with Otto und Lothar Again !
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-07-2020, 04:41
  3. Bouncing With Otto und Lothar !
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-27-2020, 08:55
  4. Following the bouncing ball..
    By Shadowcat in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-03-2018, 01:14
  5. manfred von richthofen's aircraft.