Ares Games

Thread: not a book review but a comment

Default not a book review but a comment

I got KEKs and Fokkerstaffels by Johan Ryheul for Christmas plus a couple of Mike O'Connor's Airfields and Airman books. Being relatively new to the historic side of the game, I've been amazed at the amount of detail these books contain. The bit that got me was not only the the type of plane shot down but also the plane's number and crew and the airfield they came from, plus the crew's parents.

Wings of Glory has opened up a massive area of new interests in weird and wonderful new areas. This has been greatly assisted by this Forum and the great people on it.

Long may it continue

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    I got KEKs and Fokkerstaffels by Johan Ryheul for Christmas plus a couple of Mike O'Connor's Airfields and Airman books. Being relatively new to the historic side of the game, I've been amazed at the amount of detail these books contain. The bit that got me was not only the the type of plane shot down but also the plane's number and crew and the airfield they came from, plus the crew's parents.

Wings of Glory has opened up a massive area of new interests in weird and wonderful new areas. This has been greatly assisted by this Forum and the great people on it.

Long may it continue
    That looks VERY promising. I have put it on my wish list. Thank you for sharing!

Oh, it's the tip of a VERY large iceberg!

For a period of history that is commonly regarded as "forgotten" there is actually a hell of a lot of information out there: it's just niche, not mainstream.

My Jasta 2 Research project is throwing up dozens of fascinating 'facts', many of which disagree with each other!
    I'm revising different bits of it every day, as I uncover new sources.

I hope to be able to post it up shortly.

'KEKs and Fokkerstaffels' has some of the best information on aircraft number and types used in early units, much of which I have never seen anywhere else.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Oh, it's the tip of a VERY large iceberg!

For a period of history that is commonly regarded as "forgotten" there is actually a hell of a lot of information out there: it's just niche, not mainstream.

My Jasta 2 Research project is throwing up dozens of fascinating 'facts', many of which disagree with each other!
    I'm revising different bits of it every day, as I uncover new sources.

I hope to be able to post it up shortly.

'KEKs and Fokkerstaffels' has some of the best information on aircraft number and types used in early units, much of which I have never seen anywhere else.
    I completely agree. I have been interested in WW1 since i was in my teens ('70's). I go through periods of "researching", and periods of other interests. Looking forward to any more information you might share.

Similar Missions

1. How to submit a book review
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-21-2018, 05:10
  2. National Book review.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2015, 13:42
  3. Book Review Forthcoming...
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2