Ares Games

Thread: Jasta X's clears the skies over the trenches

Default Jasta X's clears the skies over the trenches

The morning patrol took Kristian Nachtfalter, Jasta X's newest pilot, up with another new-comer. Not long after they arrived over the trenches, he spotted a two seater being set upon by 4 Allied Scouts (2 SE.5a's, and 2 Sopwith Camels). With a wag of the wings, he began to climb to gain an advantage over the enemy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210125-1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	296801Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210125-2.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	296802

Early on the young pilot realized he had trouble spacing his guns on the enemy. While he had the advantage of altitude, he found that he over shot his target too easily. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210125-4.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	296803

Despite his best efforts, he always found himself on the edges of the dogfight. Finally an SE.5a was struggling and was leaving the area. Even still, he was only able to get one long burst into the plane, but because of the difference in altitude, it easily dived to make good his escape.

Name:	20210125-5.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	296804Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210125-6.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	296805

In his exuberance, he realized he now put himself right in front of not one, but two Sopwith Camels. He closed his eyes, and braced himself for the death that should inevitably fall upon him. His ears vividly heard the two consecutive bursts. Heard and felt the bullets whiz by, but after several silent moments he dared to open his eyes, and he realized he was still alive. He wheeled his wings over to try and get a shot at the enemy, but one performed an Immelman maneouver. Kristian panicked and squuezed the triggers for his twin spandau machine guns. But, so had his foe. This time there was the distinct pangs of bullets pummeling his engine. When the air cleared he realized his engine was sputtering and he would have to make his escape. But when he looked up, he realized the oncoming Sopwith was bearing down on him. Without thinking, he pulled hard to the right, but the Camel had veered to its left! Once again, he closed his eyes bracing for the impact. This time he felt the jarring bump, and heard the sound of of wood crunching, as his undercarriage impacted the foe's tail. When he opened his eyes, he was still flying a controlled flight... but where was the enemy? Finally, he looked down and saw the Sopwith Camel spiraling out of control.

Name:	20210125-7.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	296807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210125-8.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	296806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210125-9.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	296808

He had no idea how he had survived his first combat mission, but, he made his way home, lagging far behind the others of Jasta X, due to his badly damaged engine.

This was my group's first time using the collision rule. It REALLY makes the flying more intense. You really have to pay attention to your altitude, and your opponents. There were at least 4 collisions between planes. German on Allied, friend on friend, but only my last collision actually caused one plane to go down. I used to not fear the C-deck... but, seeing that 10 damage! I will never be so dismissing of that deck again.

Also, because the other new pilot had bought 2 Albatross D.III's, i wanted to make mine distinctive. Even though the pallet is really plain, i like how this turned out.

Complete agreement that collision rules as written make a big difference in the game. A lot of players here use the optional (or advanced or whatever Ares' label is for that particular rule) rule of base must overlap peg for there to be a collision. But rules experimentation is good, lets you get a good overview of which play style fits your best.

Sam has good points. There are a lot of house rules on altitude and collisions on the Aerodrome. Read through and experiment and see what works best for your group.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Sam has good points. There are a lot of house rules on altitude and collisions on the Aerodrome. Read through and experiment and see what works best for your group.
    Thank you Sam. and Dan. I mean, we are not even "locking in" April '17 appropriate planes. We are just working through the rules. I will definitely look at the house rules more closely.

FWIW - the man running our Campaign is already a member here. Roger ER Tedmoore... but i have not been able to locate his profile. I am pretty sure i am not searching correctly though.

Thank you both for the encouragement, AND the assistance.

Great report, John. Sam and Dan make good points, and personally I agree with the "base overlapping peg" collision rule, seems to strike the right balance. Not too many collisions that way but more than enough worry to keep players on their toes. There are also "collision deck" cards that can be used instead or to mitigate further, basically rock/papers/scissors cards to see if a collision occurs. Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Great report, John. Sam and Dan make good points, and personally I agree with the "base overlapping peg" collision rule, seems to strike the right balance. Not too many collisions that way but more than enough worry to keep players on their toes. There are also "collision deck" cards that can be used instead or to mitigate further, basically rock/papers/scissors cards to see if a collision occurs. Enjoy
    I have suggested the overlapping peg idea. Personally, i LOVE involved rules, but the idea is to make the game as playable, AND enjoyable, for all. I came out on top of that collision, and it reminded me of the Boelke's death, and the other pilot surviving...

Nice game and your GE pilot did well. Good looking and bright mat too. What is it?

The mat is a home made one by the man running our campaign. RogerERTedmoore. He is a member here, but does not post much.

Nice action!

If you can't shoot them down, RAM them down!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Nice action!

If you can't shoot them down, RAM them down!
    - Um... i am pretty sure that is NOT how we are supposed to do it... but... Nachtfalter will go back and restudy his "Aerial Maneuvers and Dogfighting for Beginners" handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Urai View Post
    The mat is a home made one by the man running our campaign. RogerERTedmoore. He is a member here, but does not post much.
    You can find him here Sam.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/me...ogerERTedmoore

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I have been harassing him to be more active here. He was here long before me.

I sent him a Wingman request. He is even more old school than i am. I was helping him navigate the board this past weekend.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Beautiful pictures John, and a great AAR!

This really takes me back to my beginnings in wargaming. A good friend of mine would run large WWI dogfights using TSR's "Fight in the Skies" rules, and 1/72 models on homemade bases. Then we would re-purpose the "sky" from the WWI air game as sea, and play a fleet action from the age of sail!

This was back in the late '70s and early '80s. Two or three games sessions a month, such great fun, good times!

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    A lot of players here use the optional rule of base must overlap peg for there to be a collision.
    Our group of four is some of those 'a lot of players'. We find it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Windy Jack View Post
    Our group of four is some of those 'a lot of players'. We find it works well.
    I am HIGHLY confident that my group here will be inserted into the "lot of players".

Mike C - nice to meet a fellow old timer.

Your 'Grey Ghost' looks the part over the battlefield John, you'll have to find a personal marking for it.
    The collision rule has never changed which I find the most surprising as it's probably the one rule that needed changing the most when ARES picked up the game but it seemed to slip by them.
    The optional rule used by 'a lot of players' is not official, advanced, labelled by, or, written by Ares - it actually came out of the playing community during the Nexus/FFG days when it was found that collisions, as written, were largely unavoidable (particularly with increased numbers) and sucking the fun out of the combat.
    The main consensus reached was that a collision should only only occur if the model's bases overlap to the extent that the one model's base overlaps the others peg (There are slight variations on this theme). This essentially cuts down the frequency of collisions but still allows them to occur.
    This thread will give you a good view of the slight variances used.
    Last edited by flash; 01-28-2021 at 06:52.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Your 'Grey Ghost' looks the part over the battlefield John, you'll have to find a personal marking for it.

This essentially cuts down the frequency of collisions but still allows them to occur.
    This thread will give you a good view of the slight variances used.
    I will definitely check out that thread more thoroughly. The ranges are so close in WW1 that it 'feels' like collisions should be a concern, but as this is a game to be enjoyed, it shouldn't bog the play down either.

Thanks to Malachi - i have personalized my "Grey Ghost" as you called him. The name i gave him for our campaign is "Nachtfalter", or Nightcrawler in German.

Name:	20210125-11.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	296880Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210125-12.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	296881

Looks good & a name too !

Hello John, great report!
    A query, how do you use the cloud features you have on the mat in the game?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptMoonbeam View Post
    Hello John, great report!
    A query, how do you use the cloud features you have on the mat in the game?
    Thank you for the encouragement.

The clouds essentially block line of sight. If the post is in within the cloud, the pilot/gunner cannot shoot out, and no-one else can shoot in. These clouds here were at level 5 (and any climb increments), so they could also block line of sight above and below. I started the game at level 6 for example. We've played with complete cloud coverage as well. It was four on two. Before i knew what was happening i was all along as my wingman was shot down (explosion - before we agreed on the 50% damage rule). I climbed in to the clouds, and flew for 6 turns. I had to write down ALL of my manouvers until i either decided to fly home, or try and re-engage. I came within short range on the ruler of guessing where i would come back down, but, i was flying a Phalz D.III, and the remaining pilot was flying a Sopwith Snipe... that thing would have run circles around me, so, i just made good my escape.

haha - six turns! I'm totally lost after a couple sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Urai View Post
    ... I have personalized my "Grey Ghost" as you called him. The name i gave him for our campaign is "Nachtfalter", or Nightcrawler in German..
    By chance I found this John - it's small & colourised but it may you a grin:

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    By chance I found this John - it's small & colourised but it may you a grin:
    That is excellent! Thank you! I have saved it to my phone.

I am researching a color scheme that i might want for a Rumpler C.IV. Despite how we are playing the Learning Campaign (any plane from any time), i am going to try and play to the time line (17Q2).

Cannot say enough on how much i appreciate it.

Last edited by Sam Urai; 01-30-2021 at 04:08. Reason: Forgot to salute. :)

John,

A great resource is the Wings of Linen site that Daryl runs (also an excellent designer of related shapeways aircraft). There are links to WoG plane cards, short descriptions of key aircraft, and notes on further source material.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    John,

A great resource is the Wings of Linen site that Daryl runs (also an excellent designer of related shapeways aircraft). There are links to WoG plane cards, short descriptions of key aircraft, and notes on further source material.
    That is an EXCLLENT site! Thank you.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-22-2016, 07:39
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-09-2013, 16:55
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-09-2013, 14:46
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2012, 13:40
  5. Dr.I decal sheets, Jasta 11 or Jasta Boelcke?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Polls
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 02:41