Ares Games

Thread: A neighbor knocks on the door and asks for Kevin. A guy walks into a bar and...

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Default A neighbor knocks on the door and asks for Kevin. A guy walks into a bar and...

A neighbor did knock on the door and ask for me. That's very odd, it's the first time in the nine years that I've lived at my current address that someone has come to the house and asked to see me. It was a neighbor from down the street. Nice guy, I see him when I'm out walking, sometimes we talk.

He remembered that I like airplanes and ask if I could look at a model collection that he and his wife found in their attic. It was an unexpected find, they thought the all of the old airplane model stuff was gone. It belonged to his father in-law. Now, he and his wife are trying to figure out what they have and what they should do with it. I told him I would take a look at it.

Later that day, a guy walks into a bar. It's me walking into what used to be a garage but is now my neighbor's bar. Pass through the bar, down some steps and there are three tables with the models. Ah, these aren't plastic models or RC models. These are desktop display models and aircraft ID models. These belonged to a career Army Air Force and Air Force officer. Turns out my neighbor's father in-law flew B-26s (Baby Bumps and Baby Bumps II) in WW2. The collection includes a couple of B-26s and a lot of transports and jets from the 50s and 60s (F-86s, F-89, F-94, F-100, F-105, F4, Cutlass, C-119...oh and an X-1). There were also some wooden models that has seen better days. I found the wooden models to be the most interesting since the airplanes predate WW2.

The XP-23 needs a bit of work but looks like it could be put back together and restored to it's former glory. The B-2 and B-4 are not busted up like the XP-23. Was very surprised to see them.

I know his wife is trying to find a good home for them. They've been looking, online, for links to model collectors and collectors clubs. If anybody has any recommendations, I'd be happy to pass them along. Kevin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B2 and B4.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	296770Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XP-23.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	296769

You never can guess what gems might be hiding just out of sight!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Do you have a list and an idea of what they would like for them? I know a guy with little sense and some $ who loves to collect memories . . .

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Default More pictures

Dave, these pictures show the rest of what I saw. I think that's all they had and I think they've already parted with the X-1.

They did not have a price list when I was talking with them. If you have contact info for someone that might be interested, I can ask my neighbors if they would like to exchange contact info. They can work out the cost. I don't think they were looking to make a small fortune but rather a couple of bucks instead of just tossing them in the trash.

The F-89 in the lower left of picture #2 was the only one that I remember being and actual plastic model (maybe the old Revell kit). Other than the pre-WW2 aircraft, the rest seemed to be made of a heavy duty plastic.

Kevin

Name:	20210117_153722.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	296774

Name:	20210117_153741.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	296775

Name:	20210117_153735.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	296776

A good collection of models.

Wow, you never know what's just around the corner.

Now that is an impressive find!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

A guy walks into a bar and finds an Air and Space Museum...

Very impressive!

Wizzo Kevin.
    I'm sure Clipper is the man who can help you out!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

wow! amazing array! im surprised theyre not hanging on to the b-26 considering.

If any of the heavy plastics on stands are Toppings, those were made as promotional models for manufacturers and can go for big bucks in good condition. Twenty years ago Air & Space/Smithsonian ran a piece on them...

https://www.precisemodelsllc.com/cop...ing-models-inc
    http://aviation.watergeek.eu/topping_inc.html
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Similar Missions

1. Thank you Kevin
    By tikkifriend in forum Miscmini's Hangar
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-01-2020, 06:24
  2. RIP Kevin Whyman, 39.
    By Tonx in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-06-2015, 02:50
  3. The Maiman just knocked on my door and I now have....
    By phililphall in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 06:45
  4. Airshow on the door step
    By flash in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 10:49