Ares Games

Thread: Dipping my Wings!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Default Dipping my Wings!

After posting on a few forums all morning, it seemed like only good manners to come in here and officially "report for duty."

A long time wargamer (over 4 decades) but new to WoW/WoG (I've never actually played a game yet, not even solo). Received the BoB starter kit as a Christmas present, read the rules, and started ordering more WWII aircraft. I've played Air Force/Dauntless a few times, but was always more involved in WWI in my air gaming. So WWII WoG is somewhat of a new venture for me.

I'm looking forward to meeting local players once the Covid crisis subsides somewhat. Until then, I'll have to be satisfied with solitaire unless I can convince my wife and/or daughter to fly.

I've been very impressed with the friendliness and hospitality displayed by the members of this forum. The chivalry displayed by the "Knights of the Air" lives on in the 21st century.

Regards,
    Mike

Welcome to the 'Drome, Mike, from across the 'Pond'!

Sounds like you've fallen pretty hard! Good for you!

Your fellow Americans will take you in hand and show you the ropes, but any/all of us are more than happy to reply to any queries you may have.

Fly safe, and remember to always watch your Six!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Hi Mike, Welcome from England.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Welcome to the Aerodrome Mike. Sadly this years large gaming gatherings won't be happening until maybe the end of the year. Hopefully you'll be able to get in some air time with the solo system. PM me and I can set you up with that for WW2.

Plan on attending Origins (Columbus OH) in 2022 for 5 days of Wings gaming. ARES attends and there are a few of us that run many games Wednesday through Sunday.

Hello Mike Welcome to the show. Dive in and enjoy.

Smile

G'day Mike & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.
    Quite a few of the chaps here play against their wives &/or Sons or Daughters so good luck with that!

This is a great place Mike, welcome to the Aerodrome

Hello Mike and welcome to this great game.

Welcome aboard Mike. Pleasure to have you on board.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

welcome to the drome from the land of buckeyes to your north Mike!!!

Welcome from Louisville, Mike

Hopefully we can have some games once our country starts making headway vs this virus, but in the meantime enjoy the people and resources here. Lots of stuff to learn and appreciate and it's a fun ride!

Welcome from Oregon, Mike.
    Lots to see here.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Mike, from over here in the United Kingdom.

I just realized that i failed to welcome a neighbor. Although, i believe you welcomed me. I fly out of the far end of the state from our mutual state borders.

Fly high, with the sun to your back, and still skies.

Welcome from Las Vegas!

Welcome, Mike, from down under.
    As you have already discovered, the people on this Forum are very friendly and very helpful.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Windy Jack View Post
    Welcome, Mike, from down under.
    As you have already discovered, the people on this Forum are very friendly and very helpful.
    Hello Doug, and all the others who have responded!

It certainly is a fine group here. Hopefully some of us can meet FtF one of these days.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

When do I become eligible to give reputation points? And how do I give these points?

I've seen a lot of stuff from members of this forum that is highly deserving!

Also, the point below my Country Flag reads that I have yet to report for flight training. Is that based on a number of posts, or is there something else I need to do?

Regards,
    Mike

There should be a Green Cross to the left, in the other member's profile image. Near the bottom. Click on the cross to whom you wish to spread the rep.

Welcome from a chilly Space Coast. Great site here with plenty of info. Enjoy the game.

Welcome from a fellow Louisville, KY player.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    When do I become eligible to give reputation points? And how do I give these points?

I've seen a lot of stuff from members of this forum that is highly deserving!

Also, the point below my Country Flag reads that I have yet to report for flight training. Is that based on a number of posts, or is there something else I need to do?

Regards,
    Mike
    Click on "Settings", top right of the Banner displayed once you have logged in.
    There are two sections - "Latest Reputation Received" and "Latest Reputation Given".
    The "Given" section displays your 'Reputation Power' - the number of points you give when you 'Rep' somebody.
    You need to earn some before you can give any, and the Power builds slowly as you accumulate posts and Rep.

As Sam rightly said, click on the green cross on the bottom left of a post which you want to 'Rep'.
    You get the option to add Rep to, or deduct Rep from, the posting pilot - choose carefully!
    If you get a message which says you "have to spread some Rep around first" it means you can't keep hitting the same guy all the time!

The "Flight Training" is a fun narrative following your career as a pilot - as you accumulate Rep, you go on to flying, soloing, becoming a gunner, becoming well known to friends, and enemies, then "deadly", then an Ace, then "leading Ace in your unit", then "Ace of Aces" (there are probably some steps I have forgotten, or mentioned out of sequence, it's been a while since I went through it!).

The number of posts you make will increase your Rank.

Have a look here - https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...u-need-to-know!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsalt View Post
    Welcome from a fellow Louisville, KY player.
    Hi Bob, thanks!

I guess by your icon, that you play WWII? Do you play at a local game shop?

My son-in-law and I play in our homes, but we also meet at Hard Knox Games in Elizabethtown.

Regards,
    Mike

Hi Bob, thanks!

I guess by your icon, that you play WWII? Do you play at a local game shop?

My son-in-law and I play in our homes, but we also meet at Hard Knox Games in Elizabethtown.

Regards,
    Mike
    Actually, I play both.

I have a large collection of both wars, but they're basically "hanger queens" - I haven't met anyone locally to game with. Let me know if you guys are looking for another player.

Welcome - fingers crossed you find some local like minded people to fly against.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsalt View Post
    Actually, I play both.

I have a large collection of both wars, but they're basically "hanger queens" - I haven't met anyone locally to game with. Let me know if you guys are looking for another player.
    Bob, I have a collection of WWII aircraft, mostly Battle of Britain, German, British, and a few Italian biplanes. Also some Bf 109 K-4s and P-47s. My son in law made his first purchase recently, a B-17G. Neither of us has any WWI equipment.

We have some plans to meet at "Hard Knox" some Saturday in April, but no set date yet. I'll be glad to keep you posted!

Bob, I have a collection of WWII aircraft, mostly Battle of Britain, German, British, and a few Italian biplanes. Also some Bf 109 K-4s and P-47s. My son in law made his first purchase recently, a B-17G. Neither of us has any WWI equipment.

We have some plans to meet at "Hard Knox" some Saturday in April, but no set date yet. I'll be glad to keep you posted!
    Please let me know when you decide to game again. Etown is only about an hour from my house.

I have ~300 planes, split about evenly between WWI & WWII.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Welcome from NC!

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-30-2017, 14:20
  2. National: Wings of Glory / Wings of Past / Wings of Money
    By gratefulbob in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-21-2017, 10:38