Ares Games

Thread: U.K. WING MAJOR CONVENTION CHANGES

Default U.K. WING MAJOR CONVENTION CHANGES

In the U.K. we have had 2 major conventions (i.e. those qualifying for the Major Con Medal). Historically these have been Triples (Sheffield) and the World Wargames (Derby/Donnington). Unfortunately neither of these shows exist any more. To that end I am today announcing the 2 new major conventions. They will now be (well they will when we can ever get back to actually attending any)....

HAMMERHEAD (Newark) and BEACH HEAD (Bournemouth)

Just hope we get to attend one of these soon. Other events will fall into to minor con category. Looking into what we do about the medals, we will probably keep the existing medal design but change the ribbons, however we are looking for someone to take over the management of medals/ribbons etc.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Will be Beachhead 2022 as it's usually held in February. Probably for the best. The venue is currently a vaccination centre !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Sounds great - really looking forward to flying off the battlefield at some of these ....

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Will be Beachhead 2022 as it's usually held in February. Probably for the best. The venue is currently a vaccination centre !
    There has been some discussion about moving Beachhead to later in 2021 to try and dodge the pandemic. Nothing concrete yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerkraut View Post
    There has been some discussion about moving Beachhead to later in 2021 to try and dodge the pandemic. Nothing concrete yet though.
    Going to be lucky with 2021, this hoax is keeping me busy!
    Last edited by Gangleader147; 01-20-2021 at 14:09.

Isn't it Hammerhead that has moved to 31st July... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Isn't it Hammerhead that has moved to 31st July... ?
    Yes, Hammerhead has moved.

Beachhead hasn't, yet - it's under discussion.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Still hoping to get to Hammerhead, although not sure it’s
    a) going to happen
    b) if I can get away with meeting up with the chaps on my wedding anniversary....

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerkraut View Post
    I know but I didn't want to get hopes up until there was something definite...

Sorry wont be able to make either.
    See you on the Dark Side......

This is good news - Sheffield and Derby were both a right PITA to get to from Haslemere (one trip to the latter took me six hours to cover 160 miles, all but ten of which (five each end) were on motorway, or motorway-grade A road).

Hammerhead and Bournemouth - now you're talking! Bournemouth is also one of the shows that my own club (Wessex Wargames Society) supports big-time, so might even manage to drag a few new recruits along to get shot down!

Can I ask - why Hammerhead rather than one of the two historical Partizan shows?

What makes Hammerhead different is there are no static display games where folk just stand around and show off their amazing scenery and painting skills etc. EVERY game is a participation game making it one of the most inclusive and energetic shows around. Well that was my reason for selecting it ahead of the Partizan shows.

The others involved in the decision may have a different view though..

What makes Hammerhead different is there are no static display games where folk just stand around and show off their amazing scenery and painting skills etc. EVERY game is a participation game making it one of the most inclusive and energetic shows around. Well that was my reason for selecting it ahead of the Partizan shows.

The others involved in the decision may have a different view though..
    My beef at some shows are a minority who would blah free tickets into a show, set up a game (often very minimal in effort) and then not see anyone at the game all show.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangleader147 View Post
    My beef at some shows are a minority who would blah free tickets into a show, set up a game (often very minimal in effort) and then not see anyone at the game all show.
    I've known many a re-enactor to do that, often at History in Action - they arrive, set up tents on the Plastic site for their extended family, then put up a tent on the 'thenty site, and proceed to spend the entire weekend mooching around with their brood, often not bothering to get into kit at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I've known many a re-enactor to do that, often at History in Action - they arrive, set up tents on the Plastic site for their extended family, then put up a tent on the 'thenty site, and proceed to spend the entire weekend mooching around with their brood, often not bothering to get into kit at all!
    My lot wouldn’t have dreamt of that - that’s what the rank structure would intervene.

What makes Hammerhead different is there are no static display games where folk just stand around and show off their amazing scenery and painting skills etc. EVERY game is a participation game making it one of the most inclusive and energetic shows around.
    Cannot fault that approach - the more participation games the better in my book! Personally, I've never seen the point of filling a hall with demo games - just seems too much like preening ("Look at MY lovely toys!" sort of thing - "OK, I've looked - now what?").

Quote Originally Posted by VonWreckedoften View Post
    Cannot fault that approach - the more participation games the better in my book! Personally, I've never seen the point of filling a hall with demo games - just seems too much like preening ("Look at MY lovely toys!" sort of thing - "OK, I've looked - now what?").
    From a previous trader point of view, a try before you buy worked well, especially if you can engineer them a win

Quote Originally Posted by Gangleader147 View Post
    From a previous trader point of view, a try before you buy worked well, especially if you can engineer them a win
    We've sold lots of WoG for Peter doing just that !

What makes Hammerhead different is there are no static display games where folk just stand around and show off their amazing scenery and painting skills etc. EVERY game is a participation game making it one of the most inclusive and energetic shows around...
    Sounds just like Beachhead Chris.

Beachhead is a little outside the range of my drop tanks I’m afraid. Which is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    We've sold lots of WoG for Peter doing just that !
    and for Roland, too, in his various incarnations.

It always brought a smile to my face when a new 'punter' returned to the table to show off his new bag of Wings goodies!

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

I heard from the organisers of Claymore that there is an outside chance that it might happen at the beginning of August as usual. They still have to get back to me though so its a big maybe at the moment.

Let’s hope so Rob, god we need a show or two.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Still nothing back at this stage but things seem to be easing off a bit locally. (And personally I`ve had both shots of the vaccine) so fingers crossed.

Similar Missions

1. Site: Convention Medals
    By 7eat51 in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 10-20-2019, 11:46
  2. New US-Major
    By Marechallannes in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-24-2013, 15:53
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-04-2011, 23:58
  4. Major Me!!!