Ares Games

Thread: Dawn flight of the newbie

Default Dawn flight of the newbie

While we usually have a campaign game or two on Monday nights, we had 2 new pilots, as well as 3 pilots that do not fly every week, show up. So, it was a 9 pilot, mix-party. One of the new pilots was my #2 son, who has autism (like me), and i am trying to get him to be more comfortable getting out, and we connect through games. So... This was my first chance to play an allied plane, and i opted to fly my Bristol F2.b. For my son, i showed him "the plane Snoopy flew" (Sopwith Camel) and he was 'sold'. OK, onto the brief AAR...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monday Night 1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	296634

Even with the rising sun, the air was very cold as it flew past Sergeant Wolfe's head. Not far off his left wing, he spotted a Hun 2-seater. He turned his head to shout over the roar of the wind and engines, "Leftenant Hawke!". Once he got his attention, he pointed out to the left. With a thumbs up, the banked left to engage the enemy. Their first of the war.

Name:	Monday Night 2.jpg 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	296635

Soon the air was full of Allies from other Squadrons, and enemy planes. He barely avoided their first target after Wolfe realized several Hun scouts came to its rescue. Soon an Albatros D.III flew in front of him. It seemed that the enemy was also overwhelmed by the "target rich environment" and had not noticed him. As soon as the German committed to an Immelmann turn, Wolfe closed to engage. Wolfe got off several long burst from his front facing Lewis machine gun, but with no apparent affect. As the plane began to fly past them on the right. Immediately Hawker let loose a long burst from his machine gun. The enemy bird burst into flames, and immediately began to tumble to the grown far below.

Name:	Monday Night 3.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	296636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monday Night 4.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	296637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monday Night 5.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	296638Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monday Night 6.jpg 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	296639Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monday Night 7.jpg 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	296640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monday Night 8.jpg 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	296641Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monday Night 9.jpg 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	296642

Suddenly, the enemy that had first drawn him into the fray let loose a long burst, and to the horror of Sgt Wolfe, a bullet had pierced a fuel tank and it began to burn. In desperation, he threw the plane into steep banks, causing the Leftenant to curse loudly. Still he had to deal with the bright yellow plane. With the erratic maneuvers of his pilot, Hawker let fly hundreds of bullets. Fortunately, the wood and canvas enemy bird disintegrated and catching fire as it plummeted. They were still not out of the woods yet.

Name:	Monday Night 11.jpg 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	296644Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monday Night 12.jpg 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	296645

There was still a lone German hunter. But on this day, only three planes remained in the air, and all concerned had had enough.

I had managed to keep the plane aloft long enough for the flames to go out. The last German plane... a single wing... late war... only had 1 damage point left. My son and his Sopwith Camel, also had a single damage point left. I was fortunate enough to have 4. Overall, i really enjoyed taking out the Bristol F2.b up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Monday Night 10.jpg  

Nice AAR. And no doubt about it, the Bristol is a tough bird.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Nice AAR. And no doubt about it, the Bristol is a tough bird.
    She is indeed. The model i have in my Hanger is a B/B set up. But, the first plane i shot down, i had three consecutive turns of shooting. My Tail Gunner got the two kills.

The joys of successfully flying a new plane, priceless. I've only flown a Bristol Fighter a couple of times, lovely kite!

Looks like a fun game, John! Surviving the mission... not my forte.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    The joys of successfully flying a new plane, priceless. I've only flown a Bristol Fighter a couple of times, lovely kite!
    I enjoy her maneuverability, and the dual guns is nice. Due to our campaign, i have flown exclusively German planes so far. But, i have begun searching for other opportunities to get my planes on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Looks like a fun game, John! Surviving the mission... not my forte.
    The fire almost did me in. I have started playing like the pilot might actually fly. i.e. - if the plane is getting damaged, or on fire, etc.. - trying to make good an escape, etc.

Sounds like a great time. Lucky you to have a group that size for gaming. Those Bristol airplanes are a tough nut to crack. On the rare occasion I have a group, I usually find myself running up against them because family always picks them to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Sounds like a great time. Lucky you to have a group that size for gaming. Those Bristol airplanes are a tough nut to crack. On the rare occasion I have a group, I usually find myself running up against them because family always picks them to fly.
    I am fortunate to have a good sized group. And, because i am newly addicted, just as the others in the group, we have a lot of various models to choose from. Also, the local store we play at, has also been getting fresh stock in for us to keep supplying our addiction with. The campaign with multiple sectors, and missions, has sort of 'forced' us to vary the planes we all fly. For example, my "roster" looks like this currently:

Model Type Nationality Assigned Crew Missions Victories Ace Points Luck * Awards Last Mission
    Albatros D.III Scout German Jospeh Hering - - - - - -
    Albatros D.V Scout German Johann Allmenroder - - 0 - - n/a
    Fokker Dr.1 Scout German Linus Wach 1 - 0 1 - Apr 4 PM
    Phalz D.IIIA Scout German Offenbach 2 - 0 2 - Apr 4 AM
    Phalz D.IIIA Scout German Luther Martin 2 - 0 1 - Apr 3 PM
    Roland C.II 2-Seater German Stephen Pfautz / Hans Lubbert - - 0 - - n/a
    Sopwith Camel Scout German Karl Braun - - 0 - - n/a
    UFAG C.I 2-Seater German Neo Phyte / Karl Schmitt 1 / 0 - 0 1 / 0 - Apr 4 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Urai View Post
    I enjoy her maneuverability, and the dual guns is nice. Due to our campaign, i have flown exclusively German planes so far. But, i have begun searching for other opportunities to get my planes on the table.
    If you liked the Bristol and like flying Germans then you must fly the Hannover Cl.III. My favorite 2 seater of them all. These should still be easily available, a good thing!

Looks great! Nice to actually get together!

If you're looking for Entente Powers scouts to add to the hangar I'd suggest any or all: SPAD XIII, Nieuport 28, SE5a, also very available for deployment to the front.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    If you're looking for Entente Powers scouts to add to the hangar I'd suggest any or all: SPAD XIII, Nieuport 28, SE5a, also very available for deployment to the front.
    Thanks Chris! I will keep an eye open for these. *salute*

Great to see some face to face (or mask to mask!) gaming!
    I'm jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Those Bristol airplanes are a tough nut to crack. On the rare occasion I have a group, I usually find myself running up against them because family always picks them to fly.
    I make a point of chasing down and killing Chris Hedeby's Bristols, 'coz it means I always get a decent scrap!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thumbs up

Well done Sam & great you were able to get your son to have a crack at playing WoG!
    Have some rep for your AAR & photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    If you liked the Bristol and like flying Germans then you must fly the Hannover Cl.III. My favorite 2 seater of them all. These should still be easily available, a good thing!
    Yep, have to agree!

Great AAR by the way!

Well done John, broke yourself in on an allied tandem and both you and your son lived to tell the tale. That's not bad going.

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Great AAR, John, and some fine pictures. How about a visitor from KY some time (and from the future, I've only got WWII equipment ? Whenever this virus gives us a break, that is...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Great AAR, John, and some fine pictures. How about a visitor from KY some time (and from the future, I've only got WWII equipment ? Whenever this virus gives us a break, that is...
    Well, i live about 7 hours from the Kentucky border, but, who knows.

Similar Missions

1. A Newbie's First Flight - 2 Origins Game Fair Massive Battles
    By airboy1945 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-01-2019, 07:38
  2. Buckeye Gamers in Flight at Dawn Patrol
    By CappyTom in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-05-2014, 01:08
  3. Von Steig's Fateful Flight. (A Newbie's first AAR) Contains Pics.
    By Pip in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-20-2014, 15:35
  4. Flight Command or The Dawn Patrol 1930!
    By richard m schwab in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-15-2011, 05:10