Ares Games

Thread: Flying Boats of Christmas Past

Default Flying Boats of Christmas Past

I bought a SORA Christmas decoration before the season, for those not familiar they produce aircraft models as decorations and this one is based on a Lohner L.1 flying boat. It's not perfect by any means but it makes a serviceable model for use in WoG.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210119_115822649.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	296627

Whilst planning how to mount it I realised that if I added a peg or magnet to the base then I couldn't use it as a stationary model on a table as a target as it wouldn't be able to sit flat on the surface.
    After mulling it over I decided to utilise part of the display stand it came with as I have done with military helicopters in the past, so I cut off the end of the stand which mounts the model with a razor saw.

Name:	IMG_20210112_141221714.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	296628

It's quite a block which you could cut down further but when playing you don't really notice it from above and it means you can easily drill a hole into it to mount the ball bearing of the gimbal.

Name:	IMG_20210112_141440740.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	296629

The mount's pegs are pushed into blu-tak so the balls can be glued in place.

Name:	IMG_20210112_143352444.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	296630

The ball bearings are then covered in super glue and left to harden - this is to prevent slippage when the plane is mounted, giving purchase for the ring mount.

Name:	IMG_20210112_143508732.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	296631

Whilst they are going off, I cut the stem off of the flight pegs and glued the ring magnets to them, mounting them in pegs on a stand to dry.

Name:	IMG_20210112_144631722.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	296632

I have since bought another and I will add some further pictures in the showcase when all are done and ready for action but here's a prelim shot - one Austrian, one Italian (inspired by Ian-Womble - thanks to Steve-Guntruck for the decals)

Name:	IMG_20210116_145229329.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	296633

The Lohner L.1 saw extensive use before, during and after the war. It was the first aircraft to be involved in patrol & recon during the war and the first type to sink a submarine from the air in the history of aviation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lohner_L

Well there it is, a little How To idea if you want your Lohner to be able to paddle !
    Looking at stats of XB, B, 12, guessing Alt 9, climb of 7 ? I have yet to finish the stands - looking at 180 arc of fire.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well there it is, a little How To idea if you want your Lohner to be able to paddle !
    Looking at stats of XB, B, 12, guessing Alt 9, climb of 7 ? I have yet to finish the stands - looking at 180 arc of fire.
    Dave they look rather nice . I too have one of those Lohner minis a while ago.
    Last edited by flash; 06-17-2022 at 03:48.

Very clever solution. i love these DIY projects to fit non-standard aircraft to the game.

They are nice, what I would love to see is a Sunderland Flying Boat for WGS.. now that would be a model

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Really great, Dave! Thank you for the guide. REP guns jammed

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    They are nice, what I would love to see is a Sunderland Flying Boat for WGS.. now that would be a model
    I know a guy . . .

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ght=Sunderland

Very interesting. I love seeing all of the in-progress pics, very useful. I'm assuming this would build out like a normal two-seater, as opposed to something like a Hanover CL.II?

The tailplane could do with a lot of work, but otherwise the original is a surprisingly good generic model.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Oh wow, they are so impressive, having had a sandwich sitting with Flash and Matt and others sitting under the wing of one of these at RAF Hendon, cant believe just how big an aircraft it was. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by VonSquid View Post
    ... I'm assuming this would build out like a normal two-seater, as opposed to something like a Hanover CL.II?
    I don't understand Jeremy It doesn't build out, it comes as you see it just with a screw in ring & decorative string to hang it for your Christmas tree. The crew sit side by side so that isn't the normal configuration for a tandem set up. That's if that is what you were referring to ?!

"He is wise who watches"

Another alternative....

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ght=Sunderland
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

very cool! ive got a scenario for origins im working on that could use that!

My SORA model arrived today. Thank you, Dave for the thread, pics and stats!

Thank the committee for the stats - still yet to be put in the stats doc I note - I just knew where to find them.
    If you look at Guntruck's album's you'll likely find a card for it too.

"He is wise who watches"

Very cool! These are 144 scale?

Near enough Dave, they are not a fully accurate Lohner models either but near enough for gaming purposes.

"He is wise who watches"

How they turned out after a couple of coats of old GW paints:

Name:	SAM_2537.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	297052

Name:	SAM_2538.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	297053

Name:	SAM_2545.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	297054

Name:	SAM_2541.JPG 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	297055

Name:	SAM_2549.jpg 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	297056

Name:	SAM_2542.JPG 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	297057

"He is wise who watches"

That takes me back a bit Dave. I remember getting one of those one Christmas before there were any Italian F Boats to take on.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

They look like fun, Dave!

I found a larger size card in the Zoe albums for use with the XB deck if the base size matters? I guess at 11x8cm it'd be a bigger target

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    I found a larger size card in the Zoe albums for use with the XB deck if the base size matters? I guess at 11x8cm it'd be a bigger target
    It falls between the standard base and the medium by the wingspan, which dictates base size, both are 6.8cm long; the medium is 8.8cm wide. (Large Giant base in 8 x 11cm wide).
    I was going for the unofficial base size declined by Ares of one and a half 'normal' cards wide, but that's been scuppered by Keith's store closure to the UK for a while until I can source something local, meantime standard base will have to do.
    Check out Basing Models in the FAQ:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...al-Rules-lt-lt

"He is wise who watches"

Ahh of course. Thanks a ton, Dave!

I saw a Sunderland at the RAF Museum in Colindale. Couldn't believe the size of it

MOTAT Auckland NZ 's fine example, my fave!

Name:	20200123_140258_resized.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	297062

From the Clipper collection:

Name:	20210201_132759_resized.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	297063
    Last edited by clipper1801; 02-01-2021 at 12:33.

Similar Missions

1. WSF German Pre-WWII Flying Boats on Shapeways
    By RJG173 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-03-2020, 11:45
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-16-2015, 10:42
  3. Forget flying boats
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-22-2012, 07:24
  4. WW1 Floatplanes and Flying Boats