Ares Games

Thread: How much is enough?

Users Country Flag

Name
    D. Scott Stewart
    Sorties Flown

Default How much is enough?

Hi all!

Given the game is going away, what would you consider enough to be able to play this game assuming you're the one with all the ships? Looking to make sure I've got most scenarios covered moving forward. I've got:

Colonial Viper MkII Base Game
    Colonial Viper MkII Base Game
    Colonial Viper MkII Starbuck
    Colonial Viper MkVII Apollo
    Colonial Viper MkVII Pegasus
    Colonial Viper MkVII Pegasus/Veteran
    Colonial Raptor Boomer
    Colonial Raptor SAR/ESM
    Colonial Raptor Assault/Combat
    Colonial Cylon Raider Starbuck
    Colonial Heavy Raider Captured

Cylons Cylon Raider Base Game
    Cylons Cylon Raider Base Game
    Cylons Cylon Raider Blister
    Cylons Cylon Raider Blister
    Cylons Cylon Raider Scar
    Cylons Heavy Raider Combat/Transport
    Cylons Heavy Raider Veteran

That looks like a complete set. I have a few extras I want to personalize with a custom paint job.

That should be a good number for gaming. If they were all on the table that would be a very big game!

I have all the above, and I snagged a second Starter Set for the bits (four extra controllers and ships didn't hurt).

I am looking at getting a Mk I Shuttle printed at a local 3D Makerbot shop, if they ever open up again. That, and the thread on the Blackbird, for another print job. Cards for both of those are in an album, if others want them.

I am looking through the "Faster Than Light" expansion, and checking out missiles and asteroids. More 3D printing, perhaps for those? The Landing and Take-off rules don't actually mention landing on the Galactica or similar ships, only on planets and planetoids. Odd. And I was working on a Landing Bay mat (or printable overlay) for Large Ship scenarios. Hmmm...

PS: For those that want to do big battles, but don't have enough damage chits, you could record damage on the sheets I made up?

They can be found here: BSG Damage Tracking Sheet - Version 2.0
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

That looks like a great collection!

My own meglomaniacal needs centred around something similar, but with a few more Raiders.
    With all my wargame projects, I like to be able to engage all of one sides minis with opponents, so I snagged a few more Raiders to "match" them up (that being said, it's only approximate - I don't use <<shudder>> points!).

One addition I would suggest is a couple of packs of extra Consoles - it looks like you have just one Base Game set, 4 Consoles?
    I'd add a few more, to accommodate the occasional big game.
    They are on the 'Ares' Upcoming list as reprints.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Lots of great info there, Mike!

Many thanks for making it all available to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    One addition I would suggest is a couple of packs of extra Consoles - it looks like you have just one Base Game set, 4 Consoles?
    I'd add a few more, to accommodate the occasional big game.
    They are on the 'Ares' Upcoming list as reprints.
    I didn't think they would be available anymore so I took 'the easy route' and ordered extra starter sets.
    I think 6 will be enough ...

From zero to sixty* just like that

* not actually 60, but I will have 37 ships when they all arrive. Pretty much one of each plus the 24 in the starter sets. I will order spare consoles when they become available. And I wasn't going to bite on BSG ...

SIX starter sets?

I've only got four!

Right, where can I get three more? - this situation is intolerable!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    SIX starter sets?

I've only got four!

Right, where can I get three more? - this situation is intolerable!

I started out ordering 2 starters and a couple of extras from the Ares special February sale.
    Then I bought one of each from what Keith has left.
    Then I saw I could get starters from Amazon, so ordered two more.
    Finally I went back to the Ares sale and got what was missing and topped it off with 2 starters to get free shipping.

(I did order a few WGS to pad it out as well)

hmmm ... spent $200+ to save $15 shipping.

I wanted to partake of the Sale, but Keith pulled the plug to the UK shipping, so I had to pass.

So, Pete, are you running a BSG convention when we start doing conventions again?

You have enough, now, to do a whole tournament on your own.

I thought I was bad grabbing an extra starter set before Christmas. I don't have enough storage space for the lot you just picked up.

I look forward to the next Enfilade con, and hope we could team up to run a game or two, there.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    So, Pete, are you running a BSG convention when we start doing conventions again?

You have enough, now, to do a whole tournament on your own.

I thought I was bad grabbing an extra starter set before Christmas. I don't have enough storage space for the lot you just picked up.

I look forward to the next Enfilade con, and hope we could team up to run a game or two, there.
    I hope we can finally hook up next year, Mike.
    I will be retired by then.

P.S. I ordered 4 more ships from Keith today.
    I think I am done now ...