Ares Games

Thread: Hello, signing in

Default Hello, signing in

Hi

I have been sent a mail welcoming me to the club and to sign in with a short narrative.

I hail from Rochford in Sunny Essex and have recently taken early retirement. I have had an interest in all things gaming for a long time, starting in the early days with board games (I participated in the first edition D & D games at school) and postal play by mail games (Diplomacy, etc.).
    I have in my time played PC games (Commodore Amiga) for flying sims including Wings and Red Baron and found them interesting.
    I played also B-17 Queen of the skies in the mid-eighties and various other flying sims.
    Now to get to the point, I recently undertook some research into my grandfather’s military records from the 1st World War where he was in the artillery (RGA) and visited Kew and photographed his war diaries and stumbled across the maps section which I found fascinating showing the front and how rolling barrages were set up by the artillery prior to the infantry going intact various engagements. I have now transcribed his whole war service history and found out where he was at times during the war.
    Recently, I have been experimenting with solo gaming, and came across the Richard Haliwell solo rules for WOW/WOG. So dul6 inspired I went on to eBay and managed to win an original 2004 Wings or War game for the princely sum of £19 plus postage. I have not yet received it but as in my previous working life I was an IT project manager have found much material online, including this website. I have ordered a number of mini’s to start me off (including the red Fokker DR1 - does everyone get that model?) and will be starting on solo games shortly to see if I can get familiar with the rules.
    I have noticed that 5eh Aerodrome shop has now stopped shipping to the UK following brexit, which I am disappointed with seeing that there are a number of aids which I would have been interested in and cannot source elsewhere ( including bases for model kits, templates, decals, etc.).
    I expect I will be asking various questions down the line so am glad to have joined the community.

Thanks

Baz

Hi Barrie,

Welcome from just up the A127.
    Last edited by Guntruck; 01-19-2021 at 00:30.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Welcome aboard - as a fellow newbie (well returning flyer) this bunch have been good to me (so far).

Welcome, Barry, from Portland, Oregon.
    (or, as the locals pronounce it, "Orrygun")

You couldn’t beat Wings on the commodore Amiga... what a game.
    Welcome aboard Baz.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Hello Barrie. I think time flies better than we do which is why history is so interesting.

May you enjoy the game as much as we all do and looking forward to reading some of you AAR's.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    You couldn’t beat Wings on the commodore Amiga... what a game.
    Welcome aboard Baz.
    100% confirm and loved "Wings of Glory" by Origin, too. "The Great War" by Blue Byte wasn't bad either.

Welcome to the Drome Baz.
    Sounds as if you have a pedigree much akin to my own. I started with D and D models when my kids were about seven and nine. We then progressed onto Historical gaming, before online gaming took over. Son number one even worked at Games Workshop Head Office for a couple of years or so. You should see his collection of figures!
    I hope you find all you want amongst our community. They are all a great bunch of chaps, and willing to help in all manner of ways. All you have to do is ask.
    Hope to meet you some day at one of the shows, once the Covid demon is vanquished.
    Till then, fly safe and look out for the Hun in the Sun.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome to the 'Drome, Barrie!

If there is anything that you need in particular, post on here - we may be able to help.
    I personally bought more Aerodrome Accessories stuff than I needed, so have been able to supply some items to other UK flyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    ......... and look out for the Hun in the Sun.
    That will be me!

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    david
    Sorties Flown

Hi, and welcome,
    sad news about Aerodrome I agree - if you need model bases and stands you can get them from Litko at Gaming Enhancements https://www.gamingenhancements.com/wings-of-war - I've recently been painting up Shapeways models (and fighting with a Valom kit) in a bid to add otherwise difficult/impossible to get aircraft for the game.
    Dave

Thanks to everyone for your welcome and wishes

Hi Baz and welcome to you from me innBristol, hope to be able to meet you once Covid departs at some stage.

Another possible source of flying bases as well as Litko is Red Eagle miniatures, they have the old Skytrex metal aircraft and did make bases to play Wings.

Welcome aboard Baz. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    ... I have ordered a number of mini’s to start me off (including the red Fokker DR1 - does everyone get that model?)..
    Welcome to the 'Drome Baz from a very soggy Dorset this evening, in answer to your question, most people have a least one - not all of them stay red though..
    Name:  SAM_2488.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  159.3 KB

There are alternate solo rules based on Richard Bradley's set here in the files for you to peruse, https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...p?do=cat&id=63 , and a solo campaign sub-forum or two.

Enjoy rummaging through, cheers Dave

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Welcome to the 'Drome, Barrie!

If there is anything that you need in particular, post on here - we may be able to help.
    I personally bought more Aerodrome Accessories stuff than I needed, so have been able to supply some items to other UK flyers.

That will be me!

Hi Tim

Thanks for the message. I am looking for a couple of standard fighter bases (67mmx44mm?) for the Skytrex Sopwith Triplane and DH2 models I will be building, are you able to help? Send me a PM if you can and we can arrange payment etc.

IHave now sourced these from Red Eagle miniatures, thanks for all the info.
    Last edited by Baz; 01-18-2021 at 15:14.

Welcome to the Aerodrome Barrie. PM sent about the solo template.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Barrie, from here near Norwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Now to get to the point, I recently undertook some research into my grandfather’s military records from the 1st World War where he was in the artillery (RGA) and visited Kew and photographed his war diaries and stumbled across the maps section which I found fascinating showing the front and how rolling barrages were set up by the artillery prior to the infantry going intact various engagements. I have now transcribed his whole war service history and found out where he was at times during the war.
    This is outstanding!

And welcome to the Aerodrome!

welcome to the drome from the land of buckeyes (ohio usa) Barrie!!!! im also a big fan of b-17 queeen of the skies!

Hello Barrie and welcome the the "Drome" Dive in and enjoy. From Enfield

Welcome to the drome from the great cold northern US. (Montana)

(welcoming head bobs) from the lizard here in the 'States.
    e sure to check the files section for scads of add-ons: "unofficial" aircraft, rules additions, solo campaign rules, etc. And if you have any question, ask away, there's sure to be someone here who can answer, and we're a friendly bunch.

Bienvenue Baz from Brittany. there are outlets in Europe that still ship to the UK if you need more planes so all is not lost. pm me if you need some website links
    Paul

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Welcome to the drone.

Similar Missions

1. Signing in!
    By SDWylde88 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-05-2019, 10:39
  2. Signing off for a little while
    By Khargor in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 12