Ares Games

Thread: Flight of the Giants - Questions

Default Flight of the Giants - Questions

Were having our first game with heavy bombers on Sunday, and while reading over the rule booklet and flicking through the cards i noticeed a couple of things that i need clarification with, so im hoping you guys can help:

1. The Gotha Management card has the icon for a Pilot in crew slot "1" whilst on the bottom of the card the Pilot is slot "3" and in the rulebook (page 11) Crew "3" is the Pilot, so is the Icon on the Management card incorrect? Is it a known misprint? Or am i reading the rules wrong somehow?

2. The "B" firing front left gun on the Felixstowe seems to have an incorrect fire arc - surely the arc line should continue through to the second arc line, unless the front "A" gun doesnt have a symmetrical arc? Can anyone clarify this for me?

3. On page 8 it clearly states which aircraft have and which do not have Blind Spots. Do those that do not have Blind spots(no black line through the firing arc) abide by the regular blind spot rule from earlier rulebooks? Or do they have no blind spot at all?

Any help with any of the above greatly appreciated.

I can answer some of those, hold on...

Here we go,
    1:It's just a misprint. The pilot is the one in slot 3, and the gunner is the one in slot 1.

2:That to is a misprint. See, the front left gun, the "B" one, Owns the arc that appears to be at a right angle. The line is supposed to continue, but they printed it wrong. The front gun, the "A" one, owns the arc that goes all the way around, and extends back at the sides.

3: The ones not listed, their tail fins were positioned differently, therefore no blind spot rule applies to them. Also, the gunners were on raised platforms I think.

Hunter
    Last edited by Aero825; 02-18-2011 at 06:49.

Many thanks for the answers, that clears things up nicely, now bringonthe game.

Have you noticed any register problems with the bomber cards? Two of mine have the bottom 5mm or so printed off the card.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Cant say i have noticed, will double check when i get home tomight and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Have you noticed any register problems with the bomber cards? Two of mine have the bottom 5mm or so printed off the card.
    Rob.
    I had one of the bomber card sheets mis-registered like that. I contacted Fantasy Flight Customer Service (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm.asp?eidm=12) and received a replacement in the mail about 10 days later

Thanks for the info Larry. I will give it a try. i did not notice it until I got my bombers to the stage of making the base stands for them.
    Rob.

Thanks for the info Larry. I will give it a try. i did not notice it until I got my bombers to the stage of making the base stands for them.
    Rob.
    No problem. Note that if your small bomber has the bottom cut off, then the corresponding large bomber will be off-center, as there were 2 small and 2 large bombers on each sheet.

They are numbered (in very tiny type) 1/8, 2/8, 3/8 etc.. 1/8 is on the flip-side of 2/8, 3/8 on the back of 4/8 and so on. The large bombers 1/8 is on the same sheet as the 1/8 small bomber. In my case, it was the 5/8-6/8 sheet that was defective.

Rob.
    Nope, no problems with mine, on the plus side at least FFG have a good reputation for sorting this type of problem out.

Here's another question which came up during our last match. Don't you think that the bombers are a bit too fast for the cards being so big? The maneuvers are pretty short, that's all right, but you have always a big gap when repositioning the bomber plane card.

There is a thread on the site with the answer to this question very well illustrated. Maybe somebody can direct you to it.
    Rob.

There is a thread on the site with the answer to this question very well illustrated. Maybe somebody can direct you to it.
    Rob.
    I believe Rob is refering to this thread:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?3431-Super-fast-bombers.-Are-the-rules-broken&highlight=speed+deck

and possibly this thread:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?3440-quot-Speeds-quot-in-millimeters-from-center-point-to-center-point&highlight=speed+deck
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Spot on Ken.
    Thanks, Rob.

Oh, man, you mean in order to put every card in play at once I gotta buy TWO boxes?

"Oh, this is really gonna suck..."--FBI SSA Emily Prentiss, my dream gal (too bad she's both a fictional character and about to be written out of her show!)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yes, but to be honest they've been pretty intelligent about what's on the back of what - I had a good look at that when it first came out, and offhand couldn't think of a single instance where two aircraft types that are on the back of each other's card actually met. Gotha versus Handley Page was the closest I could come up with (actually a G.IV vs an HP O/100, but near enough....) and obviously there's no problem with the cards for that.

Did they do that with the balloons in Burning Drachens, too? Sorry, still catchin' up...

Rob.
    Double checked mine...they seem to all have come out just fine...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Did they do that with the balloons in Burning Drachens, too? Sorry, still catchin' up...
    Ummm...the balloons only go up and down...or explode !! The aircraft fly just fine...same with the balloon minis and aircraft minis that come with them. I guess you could always add some home brew rules for "windage"...or if a balloon got loose from it's tethers...but at this scale, why bother? ...Hope that helps!!

Similar Missions

1. Flight of the Giants bases?
    By LazyEyedPsycho in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 12-23-2011, 17:00
  2. WGF: Flight of Giants
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 218
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 09:24
  3. Flight of Giants - A Question
    By nheather in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-26-2010, 18:26
  4. Flight of the Giants in my hands at last!
    By Snowy in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-26-2010, 15:28
  5. Flight of the giants
    By Air Battle Mgr in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-04-2010, 21:28