Ares Games

Thread: Ventral Machine Guns

Default Ventral Machine Guns

So a question came up regarding the ventral machine gun on the Ju-88 A-1 plane in regards to altitude rules. I understand that ventral machine guns can only fire against targets at a lower altitude. I also understand that when an airplane fires at a target that is one level of altitude higher or lower, short range shots use the long-range firepower value and long range shots are not possible. But in our example, a Ju-88 at altitude 4 was overlapping a target at altitude 3, but was in the ventral machine gun's firing arc. But then overlapping planes can not fire at each other. So this would mean that the Ju-88 could not fire at the overlapping target, even though it was one altitude higher and in the ventral machine gun's firing arc.

If this is the case, the Ju-88's ventral machine gun has very limited field of fire since measuring half ruler range from the center is just over the rear of the base and a target would have to be almost touching the base to be hit by the gun. I would think that ventral machine guns would ignore the overlapping planes restriction, but I can not find it written anywhere in the rules or in the airplane pack's rules.

Redhugh

Hmmm... House rules might be required for this.

Overlapping rules, and not being able to fire upon each other, come up in the basic rules where ventral guns are not a consideration. There is a gap. Think of the "Higher Machinegun" Equipment Card in WGF, or "Schrage Musik" in WGS, and how they are applied, as both of those allow shooting at an overlapping target, specifically because they are at different altitudes. Reverse the rules and have at it?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Hmmm... House rules might be required for this.

Overlapping rules, and not being able to fire upon each other, come up in the basic rules where ventral guns are not a consideration. There is a gap. Think of the "Higher Machinegun" Equipment Card in WGF, or "Schrage Musik" in WGS, and how they are applied, as both of those allow shooting at an overlapping target, specifically because they are at different altitudes. Reverse the rules and have at it?
    Certainly my thought. There are a number of aircraft that could use this rule.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. Multiple Machine Guns
    By Baxter in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-28-2020, 00:08
  2. Heinkel 111 Ventral Guns -- How can they hit anything?
    By Eris Lobo in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-18-2014, 10:29
  3. AA Machine Guns with no Infantry
    By FarEast in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-14-2014, 07:48
  4. General Colinwe machine guns
    By Boney10 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 10:34
  5. WWI Machine Guns