Ares Games

Thread: Blood Red Skies... Digital version

Default Blood Red Skies... Digital version

Just seen that a digital version of Blood Red Skies has just gone into Kickstarter.. looks like it will be fun. Such a shame ARES never thought to go through the same process. It’s frustrating to see someone like Warlord Games bringing out so much shiny new stuff... Cruel Seas, Black Sails (or whatever it’s called), loads of Blood Red Skies stuff and now this, and we can’t even get a few new planes (or boats) produced, the BSG license is lost as well. Doesn’t look like ARES have much of a business model.. or if they do, it doesn’t seem to include us...

Obviously this is just a personal reflection based on no known facts what so ever...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

ah sounds good

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Pretty good guess I would say Chris.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Just seen that a digital version of Blood Red Skies has just gone into Kickstarter.. looks like it will be fun. Such a shame ARES never thought to go through the same process. It’s frustrating to see someone like Warlord Games bringing out so much shiny new stuff... Cruel Seas, Black Sails (or whatever it’s called), loads of Blood Red Skies stuff and now this, and we can’t even get a few new planes (or boats) produced, the BSG license is lost as well. Doesn’t look like ARES have much of a business model.. or if they do, it doesn’t seem to include us...

Obviously this is just a personal reflection based on no known facts what so ever...
    Bear in mind, Ares is a much, much smaller company that Warlord Games.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Andrea told us once, that there were a few attempts to make a digital version of WoG, but all projects were canceled in different states of completion. None of the projects was a crowdfunding, though.

Yeah, that’s the one...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I really would have loved to play this one

http://www.aresgames.eu/14804

Alas poor Yorick, lack of funds ........

Drool... Too bad they couldn't finish it. Been great for lunch break, or whenever!

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Found THIS
    Looks damn good...

Digital WGF & WGS App would be great these days...
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I think a large part of Ares' problem is that they deliberately *choose* to stay a small company, accepting limited capital as the price of full creative control rather than being beholden to bondholders, shareholders and the human-garbage MBA apparatchiks that come with large corporations like Nexus's owner Italeri.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

A digital version of WGF based od java was already there - 10 years ago. Yep, I work of one player. Nobody cared those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    A digital version of WGF based od java was already there - 10 years ago. Yep, I work of one player. Nobody cared those days.
    And it worked until the designer went *poof*... Ares SHOULD have just bought his app, but nope, "Not Invented Here"... which is why I think my proposal for Sails campaign books, along with so many other things, have gone onto a veritable Mountain of Missed Opportunities.

Problem was it wasn't flashy slick 3d modeling that hogs system resources... just like with the original WOW card game, many people have trouble wrapping their minds around the idea that sometimes less really IS more. That Java app would've been PERFECT for phone or Android/tablet play... and just the thing for those trapped in lockdowns.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

I feel horribly teased by this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    And it worked until the designer went *poof*... Ares SHOULD have just bought his app, but nope, "Not Invented Here"... which is why I think my proposal for Sails campaign books, along with so many other things, have gone onto a veritable Mountain of Missed Opportunities.

Problem was it wasn't flashy slick 3d modeling that hogs system resources... just like with the original WOW card game, many people have trouble wrapping their minds around the idea that sometimes less really IS more. That Java app would've been PERFECT for phone or Android/tablet play... and just the thing for those trapped in lockdowns.
    Correct, *poof*. But it was about one more functional app than Nexus / Ares ever did. The point of my post is "it is not to create, even one geek can do it", so where is the problem?

Similar Missions

1. Ares announces digital version of Wings of Glory
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 07-27-2022, 13:11
  2. Are Blood Red Skies Models Under-Scale?
    By zippyfusenet in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-16-2020, 22:35
  3. Blood Red Skies
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 311
    Last Post: 10-28-2018, 15:25
  4. Blood Red Skies planes
    By Baxter in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-14-2018, 23:48
  5. WGFF: Across the Blood Red Skies