Ares Games

Thread: Acquired the starter set and one of each Martian: What's next?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Trevor
    Sorties Flown

Default Acquired the starter set and one of each Martian: What's next?

Hi all:
    I'm new to T&T - I bought in after enjoying Battlestar Galactica: Starship Battles, and wanted to see what else Ares has done.
    I have acquired a starter set plus one of each of the Martian expansion boxes. I'm wondering what airplanes people would recommend to expand the game - to support the Nieuport 16 that comes in the starter box against those invaders from the red planet.
    Also, suggestions for suitable opponents for that Nieuport 16 (and any expansions recommended) so I can play some plane-on-plane games?
    Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
    - Trevor

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Trevor, from here in the United Kingdom.

Any WW1 plane may be used against the Tripods, so have a look at what your suppliers have for sale. Also have a look at what Keith has in the Aerodrome Store (use the link at the top of the page). One problem with Wings of Glory models is that they are released in batches, some sell out quickly and it can be a long time before that model is available again. An S.E.5a is a good fighter plane to own. It was fast, had 2 machine guns and could carry 4 small bombs. There are still a few models around over here. I do not know about supplies in Canada. A two-seater would give you the option of bombing or photo-reconnaissance missions against the Tripods and the observer's flexible rear gun gives you more options for shooting at the Tripods.

For plane v plane combat you can go to https://www.aresgames.eu/category/do...y-games/page/2 and download the Duel Pack English Rulebook for free. It contains the Basic and Standard rules. You have most of the counters you will need in the Tripods & Triplanes Starter Set, a range ruler and the Damage Decks A,B,C & D, if you use the small symbols in the top right-hand corners. Ares are going to be re-issuing the Duel Packs shortly. There are 2 versions (SPAD XIII v Albatros D.V) and (Fokker Triplane v Sopwith Camel). They provide an economical way of starting WW1 air to air combat and give you models of some of the most famous aircraft.

As for an opponent for your Nieuport 16, the German plane with the nearest performance, of which you might be able to find a model, is the Albatros D.II. It comes in both single and twin gun versions. If you buy a twin gun version, I suggest that you give your Nieuport the Equipment card allowing it an extra machine gun.

There is much on this website to add to your enjoyment of the game, so explore it. There is a great deal of useful material in the Files section. Please feel free to ask questions. You will find the members here are very friendly and helpful.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Trevor
    Sorties Flown

Hi David:
    Thanks for the warm welcome - and for the suggestions. This does a great job of getting me started.
    Cheers!
    - Trevor

Welcome to the Drome Trevor from here across the pond in Dear old Blighty. I am sure that you will soon get the hang of the rules for the aircraft. Dave knows his stuff when he is on line which is most days, and if not just post here with your question and one of your co pilots will be sure to have an answer for you.
    Fly safe and watch your six.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hello Trevor and go well for your Martians!
    Martians are fun, and I like them a lot. Their movement and arcs of fire are similar but different to regular planes, which makes for a great game. I am always looking at the rules and their interpretation (which for me is just as fun). Be sure to look for the Invasion Rulebook and the Long and Short automated templates.

Having flown WW2 planes against Martian fighting machines its just as good. As the rules say (in the Invasion Rulebook) that when against WW2 airplanes, double the resistance and the recharge level values of the tripods. For me this makes for great "what if" scenarios :-) so you can fly a Spitfire or a Hurribomber!

Go well!

Terry

Users Country Flag

Name
    Trevor
    Sorties Flown

Thanks, everyone, for the terrific welcome and the advice. This helps tremendously. Fly safely!
    -Trevor

Similar Missions

1. My Favorite Martian(s)
    By Willi in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-30-2020, 10:04
  2. Martian Transgressions
    By ShadowDragon in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-08-2019, 19:46
  3. the Great Martian War
    By BobP in forum T&T: General Discussions