Ares Games

Thread: Wings 20th Anniversary coming up... Ideas?

Default Wings 20th Anniversary coming up... Ideas?

With the 20th Anniversary of original Wings of War coming up, and the long lead time on getting Ares projects through production, I thought it might be a good idea to invite a discussion on suggestions to commemorate the milestone. Slapping a "20 Years" logo on every product in 2023-24 is an obvious if cheap way out... I suggested to Rob at Ares that a limited-run Anniversary Edition line with Aerodrome Accessories would be a low-risk swag option, and while I also suggested it might be a good time for a one-shot Kickstarter reissue of the card game as an updated all-in-one-box "Definitive Edition" with cards for every plane from both the original card line and both WOW *and* WGF minis I think it's a safe bet that that's not going to happen. Similarly, I'd LOVE a 1/144 Type P or Q Zeppelin limited-edition Kickstarter, but sheer cost and box-size alone make that exceedingly improbable.

In between these two extremes, what might be some cool stuff you guys would like to "show the colors" with? Bear in mind, redecoes and reruns of existing product where all that changes is paint and paper are a LOT easier and lower-cost than anything requiring new tooling.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Perhaps Ares could produce some of the things they have been promising for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Perhaps Ares could produce some of the things they have been promising for a long time.
    Start with a list? Even the best of us need reminders every now and again... turning forty has been hell, I sometimes have trouble remembering a three-item shopping list for just three hours.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

I would love to see a kickstarter reprint of some of the more desirable models. Fokker DVII would be one of my choices. They could start out with a reprint of a series with new color schemes. If the kickstarter gets to a certain level add a second series. I would suggest an Aerodrome survey to see which planes for maximal participation. Don't know the condition of the molds or if it is feasible. Don't know the amount of planes needed to be sold to make the kickstarter a viable option. Maybe do the balloons instead. I think the balloons would go over very well, but that is just my opinion. All the backers could get a special edition challenge coin or medal.

Gold, Silver and Bronze Promo planes? I know it's been done before, but there's a new 'generation' of players... Really.

PS: Snap-together (assemble-able and de-assemble-able) Zeppelin, for easy shipping, storage, and transporting to Conventions? If it comes in four parts (main part) that assemble together, with bits to clip/snap on (gondolas and engines, perhaps gun emplacements), that would make all sorts of things easier.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I was thinking in terms of the Campaign pack, the balloon reprints and the Pacific Theatre planes.

If Ares issued special items in conjunction with Aerodrome Accessories, a large number of fans would currently be excluded from access to them because of the Customs situation.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    I would love to see a kickstarter reprint of some of the more desirable models. Fokker DVII would be one of my choices. They could start out with a reprint of a series with new color schemes. If the kickstarter gets to a certain level add a second series. I would suggest an Aerodrome survey to see which planes for maximal participation. Don't know the condition of the molds or if it is feasible. Don't know the amount of planes needed to be sold to make the kickstarter a viable option. Maybe do the balloons instead. I think the balloons would go over very well, but that is just my opinion. All the backers could get a special edition challenge coin or medal.
    Balloons are already in development, and remember that Ares is gunshy about tapping the Kickstarter well too much because the retailers see that as "taking food off their tables."

EDIT: Not trying to be a wet blanket, I'll forward this thread in its entirety--but I am trying to remind everybody of some of the barriers we and they have to deal with so we can maintain realistic expectations.

AA stuff, if done like the Sails and Giants Kickstarters, would probably be contracted as a batch-lot by Ares and shipped to the Alliance Distributing warehouse in Fort Wayne, with international shipment from there on Ares' accounts.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 01-08-2021 at 23:09.

Any chance of another world tour?
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...Tour-2012-2013
    It looked like fun (and a lot of logistics!!)

Bring back the Gold and Silver commemorative models.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    New models, yes, but not the same as the old ones - that would devalue all the ones I have fought so hard to acquire!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Balloons are already in development, and remember that Ares is gunshy about tapping the Kickstarter well too much because the retailers see that as "taking food off their tables."

EDIT: Not trying to be a wet blanket, I'll forward this thread in its entirety--but I am trying to remind everybody of some of the barriers we and they have to deal with so we can maintain realistic expectations.

AA stuff, if done like the Sails and Giants Kickstarters, would probably be contracted as a batch-lot by Ares and shipped to the Alliance Distributing warehouse in Fort Wayne, with international shipment from there on Ares' accounts.
    Or they could offer a Retailer Tier on a KS and be more open to acquiring new fans of the games.

Reprints of:
    Balloons
    Fokker E.III
    Airco D.H2
    Fokker D.VII
    P-51 Mustangs

Slap a 20th Anniversary label on the box. These are most viable options, although my "realistic" experience with the 6 Ares games I own will be that nothing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I hope they can come up with something better than that - I'd prefer they invest their money in something we can make use of on the table rather rather than a dust gathering shelf filler. A new WGF series for instance. Last was 2016.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I would love to see a kickstarter reprint of some of the more desirable models.
    I would really have to think about that. Seeing something at a store and buying it is very different than an Ares Kickstarter.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I hope they can come up with something better than that - I'd prefer they invest their money in something we can make use of on the table rather rather than a dust gathering shelf filler. A new WGF series for instance. Last was 2016.
    I agree.
    I don't need 'dust collectors' so wouldn't purchase any.
    I would, however buy multiples of others.
    Just don't give us more SPAD XIII / Albatros D.Va

What I really, really want are PTO planes they have been promising/hinting at.

So, special 20th Anniversary Starter Sets - one for WGF (E.III and DH.2) and a PTO set for WGS (P-40/Zero or Wildcat/Zero) and Squadron Packs of certain others for both WGF and WGS

Only trouble with a "20th Anniversary" use-on-the-table product is that stuff used on the table could get damaged, and then limited edition "20th Anniversary" specials would be impossible to find to replace them......

Liking the new avatar, Pete!

Start with a list? (
    Sopwith Pups would be good

An the merchant ship wave promised for "Sails" many years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Only trouble with a "20th Anniversary" use-on-the-table product is that stuff used on the table could get damaged, and then limited edition "20th Anniversary" specials would be impossible to find to replace them......

Liking the new avatar, Pete!
    If they make the 20th Anniversary just a fancy sticker on the box they could be reproduced later.

Moved my avatar up to coincide with the introduction of Albatros D.II to the Cocky Young Men campaign.
    Took me a while to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    If they make the 20th Anniversary just a fancy sticker on the box they could be reproduced later.

Moved my avatar up to coincide with the introduction of Albatros D.II to the Cocky Young Men campaign.
    Took me a while to find it.
    You do know it's a D.I...?

Tim, I'm finding a phrase involving bonfires and bodily functions springing to mind

Aarrgg! Something just occured to me. I don't want to be a Negative Nelly, but Ares has no reason to celebrate the 20th anniversary of another company's game. Nexus published Wings of War in 2004. That's the anniversary we on this Forum would like to celebrate.

In 2023 (IIRC), Ares Games will likely be putting 10th anniversary labels on boxes. Still, that is something to celebrate, too!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Interesting thought

Not what it's labelled
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	296154

That's what we buy two (or six) for !
    It's still better than producing somebody's precioussss...

Maybe a one off product like a correctly finished Sopwith Triplane would be enough !
    Last edited by flash; 01-10-2021 at 02:15.

Start with a list? Even the best of us need reminders every now and again... turning forty has been hell, I sometimes have trouble remembering a three-item shopping list for just three hours.

start writing it all down. there are things i wish i had written down that i relied on memory for. now i have to write myself a note to look at the note.

a commemorative 20th anniversary duel pack with all new aircraft would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Just staying in buisness would be good . . . .

^^^ this^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I agree.
    I don't need 'dust collectors' so wouldn't purchase any.
    I would, however buy multiples of others.
    Just don't give us more SPAD XIII / Albatros D.Va

What I really, really want are PTO planes they have been promising/hinting at.

So, special 20th Anniversary Starter Sets - one for WGF (E.III and DH.2) and a PTO set for WGS (P-40/Zero or Wildcat/Zero) and Squadron Packs of certain others for both WGF and WGS
    Pete, we actually have Guadalcanal Starter and Squadron Packs already in development. I've already brought up swapping in new decoes on Duel Packs occasionally and Rob was open to the idea, especially when I pointed out how "same deco all the time" was costing him collector/completist sales opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Produce the VERDUN MAT, created by a forum member Sir_Erickson (aka Cyril), that were supposed to be released in 2013, as announced by Roberto Di Meglio 8 years ago :
    “We've plans to release Cyril's Verdun mats in 2013 as a special "campaign series" for WW1.... stay tuned! But the current maps are more generic, and modular. They will be two different types of products, but they will both reach the market in due time.”
    (Robdimeglio’s message #34 09-26-2012)
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...l=1#post171234

In 2012, many WOG Aerodrome members were enthusiastic and Keith even considered to produce the Verdun mat by Aerodrome Accessories, before Ares made its announcement to produce it.
    “Communications have been initiated on behalf of Aerodrome Accessories. I'll keep you guys posted on how things are looking.”
    (message #21 04-13-2012)
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...109#post138109

Name:	163B759F-4382-4D34-A572-C68BFCE7723B.jpeg 
Views:	104 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	296200

Name:	BCFF42F2-FA73-4ACC-A2D5-0E0ADACF3619.jpeg 
Views:	103 
Size:	250.3 KB 
ID:	296201

Name:	6122BD40-8D25-493D-ABCE-B73E7F705644.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	296204

Name:	3BCDF160-445B-4052-904B-C93E69F03295.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	296202

Name:	C64BDCEC-95B5-404F-B441-9CCCA9FCB9EE.jpg 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	296203

Name:	63237215-A594-4E40-84F8-6DE4CD6AA74E.jpeg 
Views:	108 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	296205Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22522D72-2773-4E30-8BBF-82716CBB0E5C.jpeg 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	296206

Name:	938B864B-B162-42D3-89B8-F240A547F142.jpeg 
Views:	105 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	296207Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05C778F1-7AC2-4659-8643-50924AA8ADFE.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	296208

Name:	CD7310E5-D338-4DEC-9BDF-FF4D508EF1DC.jpeg 
Views:	112 
Size:	210.7 KB 
ID:	296209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DA5C24C2-B79A-4C7E-958B-27E7E45A6AEE.jpeg 
Views:	110 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	296210

Oh, yes please!

Given the fact it is not Ares' 20th but really ours, maybe we should produce the item for the fellowship . . . just thinking . . . and the mat would be rather cool . . .

Whoa! Lots of good ideas!!!!

I would love to see some new sculpts. Like Pups and Dolphins. Not sure what they could do for the Central Powers. Lots of planes that can be done, but not sure which would make most sense.

To produce the city of London mats would be cool... (useful for WGF & WGS)

...and a damn brand new series of planes for WGF!

Sopwith Pub or Hansa Brandenburg C.1 for example.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

The Verdun mat looks great and would be an awesome addition to any collection.
    Sopwith Pups would be nice too, but I would just be happy with greater availability of stock so that I can grow my forces more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    To produce the city of London mats would be cool... (useful for WGF & WGS)

...and a damn brand new series of planes for WGF!

Sopwith Pub or Hansa Brandenburg C.1 for example.
    OOhhh.

Yea, some of the Austrian built planes would be nice. Also, the Italian Pomilio have some interesting ones.

The Campaign will be coming out, but when? Verdun campaign and mats will be wonderful. We already have Eindeckers, Halberdtadts and Alb C.IIIs for the Germans (Re-release of the early set would be necessary) and MS-N and N11 for the French. We'll need a French 2 seater?

New planes would always be welcome but that sadly means that will put re-releases into a longer cycle.

That is true. I would like to get some more Fokker E.III and Halberstadt D.III myself.

Tremendous Verdun mat. If Ares will not make good on their commitment to producing it (apparent after 8 years) it would be great to assist Cyril in making it available while reimbursing his efforts. Perhaps a patreon or dropbox file where users could download the file for a fee and have it printed at one of many vendors to reduce production and shipping costs.

Whoa! Lots of good ideas!!!!

I would love to see some new sculpts. Like Pups and Dolphins. Not sure what they could do for the Central Powers. Lots of planes that can be done, but not sure which would make most sense.
    Those lists have been done before - The Germans could have the Pfalz D.XII & Roland D.VI a/b

The verdun map is fantastic, yes please

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I second Dave's suggestion for Ares to make the Pfalz D.XII and the Roland D.VI a/b for the Central Powers.

Verdun map would be awesome - especially if it tied in with their promised campaign.

Forgot about the London map - I would definitely purchase that.

No matter what I am sure it will fly off the shelves.

I will definitely buy my share. Maybe extra if they fit into my repainting ideas.

I'll (re-)suggest print-on-demand card decks. There are several companies that will handle all the details of printing, cutting, and boxing, e.g. http://drivethrucards.com. And there are no inventory risks involved, just some up-front work to get them in the right format for the printers. Both maneuver and damage decks could be covered.

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    I'll (re-)suggest print-on-demand card decks. There are several companies that will handle all the details of printing, cutting, and boxing, e.g. http://drivethrucards.com. And there are no inventory risks involved, just some up-front work to get them in the right format for the printers. Both maneuver and damage decks could be covered.
    This would be easy money for them for minimal effort.

Are there WW 1 plane paint schemes that people have been clamoring for? If so, perhaps there could be an online "Aces" contest covering the different WW 1 planes (in which there are current molds for, to keep costs down). Everyone will be able to submit their choice of plane/paint scheme with a short statement regarding the history behind it for interest. After the choices are received, everyone can nominate one Central Powers and Allied Powers plane paint scheme. The top planes could be packaged with special history fact cards regarding the plane/pilot (I enjoy reading the history of pilots and it is an additional educational tool to teach my kids about the pilot of the plane they are flying). It may also be interesting to create a maneuver deck that is unique to each "20th anniversary" plane/pilot. Would people argue that a different maneuver deck is unfair, or would it just increase the desire to purchase the plane?

Quote Originally Posted by John n Colorado View Post
    Are there WW 1 plane paint schemes that people have been clamoring for? If so, perhaps there could be an online "Aces" contest covering the different WW 1 planes (in which there are current molds for, to keep costs down). Everyone will be able to submit their choice of plane/paint scheme with a short statement regarding the history behind it for interest. After the choices are received, everyone can nominate one Central Powers and Allied Powers plane paint scheme. The top planes could be packaged with special history fact cards regarding the plane/pilot (I enjoy reading the history of pilots and it is an additional educational tool to teach my kids about the pilot of the plane they are flying). It may also be interesting to create a maneuver deck that is unique to each "20th anniversary" plane/pilot. Would people argue that a different maneuver deck is unfair, or would it just increase the desire to purchase the plane?
    John, I've tried similar discussions on this very site every few years... invariably they swiftly devolve into an off-topic trainwreck.

Correction. A very fiery explosive train wreck of atomic weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    Produce the VERDUN MAT, created by a forum member Sir_Erickson (aka Cyril), that were supposed to be released in 2013, as announced by Roberto Di Meglio 8 years ago :
    “We've plans to release Cyril's Verdun mats in 2013 as a special "campaign series" for WW1.... stay tuned! But the current maps are more generic, and modular. They will be two different types of products, but they will both reach the market in due time.”
    (Robdimeglio’s message #34 09-26-2012)
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...l=1#post171234
    Great idea Simon
    I was also thinking about it by reading the title of the post !

Until the future, praying that the situation with Covid-19 on this planet will improve !

Name:	610x250_Preparativi-Record-.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	296261

"Breaking" the 100-player record at Wings of Glory can be symbolic and conceivable ?

Similar Missions

1. National 20th February: Beachhead,Bournemouth.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 02-24-2016, 02:49
  2. Our Fifth Anniversary Hot Wings of War/Glory Bomber Run
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-13-2016, 16:32
  3. Happy 5th Anniversary Wings of Glory Aerodrome!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-16-2014, 12:41
  4. WGS: Wings of Glory WWII coming to an iPhone/iPad near you.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-15-2013, 22:18
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-28-2013, 00:18