Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Origins 2021

Default Origins 2021

Announcement coming 12-JAN-21.
    Wondering if they will try FtF in June.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I think June is going to be VERY optimistic given the current numbers coming out of the states, but we live in hope.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Yeah, looks like a pipe dream if they think June is possible. Unless something amazing happens and we all have the vaccine I can't se me attending if they hold it.

They might not let me in, vaccine or no vaccine!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

You might not want to come. Not sure I want to be here...

Peter, if you feel like you have to leave I will gladly hold on to your planes for you.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Peter, if you feel like you have to leave I will gladly hold on to your planes for you.
    Thanks. I'm sure I'd find a way to take them with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    They might not let me in, vaccine or no vaccine!
    I'd be more worried about being allowed back in here.. I found a gap but I think they found it and blocked that !
    Get to France and hop a dinghy, I'll meet you on the beach

"He is wise who watches"

I'm anxious to hear the announcement. I'm a school teacher and we have been told our vaccinations are coming soon. We will see.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

I am interested as well. Finally able to go and COVID has determined that I shouldn't!

Got my vaccination appointment today - it's @ 23:00 at a hospital 6 miles away, in the wrong direction from my house (14 mile journey!)

Think I'll wait for more appointments next week.

Hope you get another one asap, must be high demand and limited spaces. Surprised it’s not scheduled for your own hospital though, seems a little crazy...

Oh, it's entirely crazy; it's the NHS, after all!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I'd be more worried about being allowed back in here.. I found a gap but I think they found it and blocked that !
    Get to France and hop a dinghy, I'll meet you on the beach
    For several cans of baked beans it could be aranged

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Not sure that it will be clear for Prague in April

My personal bet is another run for October, with online gaming in June.
    I'm not going to any big venues without both shots of vaccine, and despite being "essential worker" (Grocery industry), I'm sure
    my priority is way down the list.
    They're still trying to get enough for hospital workers and first responders in Ohio. Teachers next, I guess.
    Karl
    Last edited by Jager; 01-07-2021 at 11:49. Reason: sp again!
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Hope the best for the convention in Ohio, but I'm shure that Prague Con 21 will be definitely later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Not sure that it will be clear for Prague in April
    That's what I guess, too.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I’m hoping we get something, somewhere this year. Doncaster isn’t until late September, but at the moment that doesn’t look definite by a long way... just keeping fingers crossed.

Origins plans on a convention 30 Sept-3 Oct.

Based on the hopeful news that COVID-19 vaccines are being distributed and reports from the CDC that community events and conventions should be able to resume later this year, we have made the decision to move this year’s Origins Game Fair from our usual June weekend to September 30 – October 3, 2021.

Safety is our primary concern, and we believe holding Origins later in the year provides the best path forward to have an in-person event this year.

We are working with other game convention organizers to develop guidelines for safe events, including, but not limited to:
    Requiring Face Masks
    Social Distancing
    Temperature Checks
    Hand Sanitizing Stations
    In the interim, we encourage everyone to help fight the pandemic by wearing a mask, practicing social distancing, washing your hands, and getting the vaccine when you are able. Together we can work towards returning back to normal.

We are monitoring the COVID-19 situation and will provide updates as we get closer to the event. Exhibitor and sponsorship information will be available on February 16. If you have any questions, please email registration@gama.org.

----------------------------------------------
    Don't see how to social distance around a table of Wings. What does this mean, 2-3 participants?

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    I’m hoping we get something, somewhere this year. Doncaster isn’t until late September, but at the moment that doesn’t look definite by a long way... just keeping fingers crossed.
    The Prime Minister has promised that any Canadian that wants a vaccine should be able to get it by September. Sooo...
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I'll have to think hard on this one.
    Karl

Same, I would love to go. But, need to see how everything is going.

I also need to check the vacation schedule; there may be conflicts for that week .
    Karl

I have entered those dates in my Calendar... not sure i will be able to attend yet, though.

Besides... i still need to get my own plane for my profile.

Good news: My dates are in from work.
    Better News: I'm now on the list at work for the vaccine (grocery workers are something like tier 1b)
    Guess I need to get the planes from last year finished
    Karl

Just saw a Facebook post, looks like they are looking forward to late September...

Things are looking up here too, as long as we get the new strain under control. However, what the restrictions on International travel will be is anybody's guess.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Amen to that

I've got my hotel reservations, but I may be cancelling. I'm not up for wearing a mask for the whole day, and if they're going to require "social distancing" what is that going to mean for our normal usual battles? Are they going to allow 6-8 or even 10 people at a table?
    Last edited by Bobsalt; 04-02-2021 at 21:25. Reason: Correct spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsalt View Post
    I've got my hotel reservations, but I may be cancelling. I'm not up for wearing a mask for the whole day, and if they're going to require "social distancing" what is that going to mean for our normal usual battles? Are they going to allow 6-8 or even 10 people at a table?
    Sorry Bob, but as someone running games if they require masks I'm all for it. It's not just about me. I don't want to catch anything while I'm helping entertain X amount of people, but I also don't want to pass on anything to these same people.

I will have hand sanitizer at my game tables from now on. People will use it or not play in my games. It's funny that at Fall In of '19, (my last con before Covid) I had a cold and used hand sanitizer while running my games. It hit me on the drive home that I should be using it for players. I have gotten sick many times from running games at conventions from others. I've gotten colds and the flu, not worth it especially now with the stakes a bit steeper.

Hopefully by then everyone will have taken the vaccine and cases will be a trickle.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 04-03-2021 at 09:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Sorry Bob, but as someone running games if they require masks I'm all for it. It's not just about me. I don't want to catch anything while I'm helping entertain X amount of people, but I also don't want to pass on anything to these same people.

I will have hand sanitizer at my game tables from now on. People will use it or not play in my games. It's funny that at Fall In of '19, (my last con before Covid) I had a cold and used hand sanitizer while running my games. It hit me on the drive home that I should be using it for players. I have gotten sick many times from running games at conventions from others. I've gotten colds and the flue, not worth it especially now with the stakes a bit steeper.

Hopefully by then everyone will have taken the vaccine and cases will be a trickle.
    One of the things I was running into hosting games at conventions before 2020 was bringing home colds or flus. My Better Half, an ex-nurse, started making me carry a bottle of hand sanitizer to every demo game I hosted. From 2013 to 2018, I had, at least, one disease per con season that was pretty much related to a con. 2019? Not a one. Hand sanitizer between games, occasionally through the day, and especially before eating food with the hands (most of the food available at cons was eaten by touching the food with the hands).

So, COVID-19 or not, I will still be using hand sanitizer in the future. With COVID-19, and any variants or new viruses, I most definitely want to be using hand sanitizer.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    One of the things I was running into hosting games at conventions before 2020 was bringing home colds or flus........
    That never happens at UK events, like Doncaster for example

Gaming Convention Player: "I'm all-in."
    covid-19: "I call. How much you got?"

The odds are low but the stakes are high. Not really what anybody wants to hear when having fun enjoying a game, but hopefully things will continue to improve.

I will have hand sanitizer at my game tables from now on. People will use it or not play in my games. It's funny that at Fall In of '19, (my last con before Covid) I had a cold and used hand sanitizer while running my games. It hit me on the drive home that I should be using it for players. I have gotten sick many times from running games at conventions from others. I've gotten colds and the flu, not worth it especially now with the stakes a bit steeper.

Hand sanitizer is never a bad idea. But the danger of COVIDD has been vastly overstated.

My wife is an MD, and works doing vaccine research for the university here. She's also a total germaphobe. Rather than go into details that might turn this into a political thread and spark discord, I'll just say that with those facts firmly in mind, neither of us has had any concern about this virus since late last March.

That's good for you, Bob. Others of us have not been so lucky. Lost a good friend and coworker in November.

Over half a million US deaths I don't think can be called overstated. It's easy to say it's no big deal if you haven't been touched by it. I think it is a big deal. I don't want to be part of spreading it or have any chance (that I have some control of lessening) of getting it. Just my view.

Thanks chaps, lets call it on the discussion and keep to the title of the thread please.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Thanks chaps, lets call it on the discussion and keep to the title of the thread please.

Rob.
    Acknowledged.

Thanks Bob.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post

Rob.
    You got it Rob.

Cheers Pete.

Rob.

The Origins game schedule is up. It can be found 'HERE'. Those of us associated with ARES will be running 16 Wings games, 1 T&T and 1 Sails. I found one more Wings game is being put on by the Western Ohio Games Club.

The Origins game schedule is up. It can be found 'HERE'. Those of us associated with ARES will be running 16 Wings games, 1 T&T and 1 Sails. I found one more Wings game is being put on by the Western Ohio Games Club.
    Tim the wind and sails are calling you put aside those wonderful planes and go over to the Dark sails of SOG

But its Sept 12 , clashes with Donnie

Origins is Sept 30 - Oct 3. A bit close but not overlapping with Doncaster. Tim I think will be hopefully coming over next year.

Origins is Sept 30 - Oct 3. A bit close but not overlapping with Doncaster. Tim I think will be hopefully coming over next year.
    If Tim is coming next year I think I will definitely make a trek to Origins.

yep, im running a scenario using my beautiful clipper created zeppelin. heres a link to pics of my 1st test run.
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/al...p?albumid=4705

So Origins 2021 is definitely happening?

Keith took care of the LL raffle repaints, I think.

Would like to see Tim at Origins (one day).
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Tim I think will be hopefully coming over next year.
    I hope so!

The UK <-> USA travel ban is still in place, so 2021 is right out.
    But hopefully, normality (or something like it) will have been restored by June 2022.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. DONCASTER 2021
    By Hedeby in forum Doncaster Con
    Replies: 297
    Last Post: 09-26-2021, 04:46
  2. Hammerhead 2021
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 06-18-2021, 19:36
  3. WMMS 2021
    By Baron Rolf in forum UK Wing