Ares Games

Thread: New Member

Default New Member

Hello all

I have recently had a chance to look at and purchase some WoG WWI miniatures, but have not yet had a chance to play the game. My interest is an extension of that for WWI model aircraft in larger scales, of which I am still learning to build. Upon browsing for information about the game, I discovered this site's customization and building threads. Both are impressive, and I'm considering trying my hand at some Valom kits, or maybe crafting an observation balloon. I'm liking what I see so far game-wise, although I may not be able to play much. This doesn't concern me too much, as I really like Ares' models and am quite happy looking at them and possibly detailing them with some rigging and panel lining.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Jeremy, from here 'across The Pond' in the United Kingdom. I believe that we have a number of members from Texas and there may be one, who lives near you. We also have some members, who play online, and in the Files section (click on the link at the top of the page) there are some rules for playing the game solo, so there are possible opportunities for you to play the game. If you have any questions about the game, please feel free to ask them You will find that the members here are very friendly and helpful.

Welcome to the aerodrome Jeremy from across the pond

Thank you gents, much appreciated! The aforementioned community attitude is precisely why I decided to join. I’ll check out the solo rules and online players for sure.

Hi Jeremy, welcome to the 'Drome!

Careful with that rigging - it's absorbing and frustrating in equal measure!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Hi Jeremy, welcome from England,
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

(welcoming head bobs) from the lizard here on the East coast. If the various aspects of the hobby is your thing, be sure to check many of the 'drome members stores on Shapeways-you should be able to find some larger scales there.

Hi and welcome from the beautiful Hudson River Valley! Where in Texas are you? A few years ago I gave a paper at a conference in San Antonio -- I spent every non-conference moment at the Alamo! You'll find members of this site friendly and knowledgeable -- if you have questions post them here and someone will have both the knowledge and the generosity to share it. Enjoy the hobby!
    Bill

Hello Jeremy

More welcomes from England. Dive in and enjoy your stay

Welcome to the 'drome, Jeremy. From the very damp Canadian West Coast.

If you can't get together with people locally, Zoom and Skype games are possible. Almost like being across the table with friends. You could try spectating, or even joining in, with the guys doing the Thursday Night game.

Link: Playing Online

Previous games: Youtube: Table Top Flights
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thank you gents!

Flying Helmut: Noted! I thought that rigging looked difficult in 1/72, now it seems easy lol!

zenlizard: I don't know which members have Shapeways stores, but I'll be checking things out for sure. I already have my eyes on some 1/144 models.

NewFlyBoy: I live near San Antonio, but I rotate between TX and the ID/MT states. You are lucky that you had the opportunity to visit the Alamo when you did. There have been several attempts to deface and vandalize it since last March. Some of my friends from out of state visited last January, and we were recently talking about that. I'll definitely be asking questions here, both about the game and modeling!

OldGuy59: Thanks for the links and info! I'll definitely be looking into that.

Welcome aboard Jeremy, its always great when we get a new member. Enjoy the site and if you have any questions there are hundreds of folk on here that will be able to answer them.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Thank you, and will do!

Quote Originally Posted by VonSquid

zenlizard: I don't know which members have Shapeways stores, but I'll be checking things out for sure. I already have my eyes on some 1/144 models.
    There's a whole set of sub-forums for the various aspects of Shapeways: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/fo...apeways-Models

Paul/Decapod, Daryl/Reduced Aircraft Factory, David/Clipper are among the most prolific; https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/fo...eways-Releases

And Kevin/miscmini is a great source for some other, but even more especially, with his own sub-forum: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/fo...cmini-s-Hangar
    Last edited by zenlizard; 01-07-2021 at 04:22.

welcome to the drome Jeremy!!! half the fun is chasing down the next new mini!

Thanks milcoll73, and indeed it is!

zenlizard: Outstanding, thank you!

Welcome to the Aerodrome Jeremy. I'm sure you will enjoy your Wings hobby. I love the game but as much enjoy the modeling and painting. The site has an enormous amount of information to take advantage of and to add to.

Welcome to the 'Drome!

Somehow missed your original post.

Welcome from Portland, Oregon, Jeremy.

Thank you gents!

Teaticket: I have been looking through the forums and learning a lot about many things. It is quite easy to get lost lol. Once I get myself situated, I hope to contribute as well.

Jeremy you are now hopelessly doomed. You will never have enough planes for your collection .

Hi Jeremy, I can see this hobby is going to keep you busy and poor for years. Gotta get them all!

I have also been away making an extensive tour of the lines and missed your arrival at the Drome Jeremy.
    Please accept my apologies and take a drop or three with me in the Mess this evening.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

No doubt! I think the Zeppelin-Staaken is what sealed my fate lol. That, and the fact that my girl is encouraging me to both buy and build these little planes. The good news is that I have her blessing with this

Rob: Thank you, and will do!

Sounds like a very good arrangement you have there Jeremy, and one which may solve the problem of a lot of Birthday and Christmas presents for you too!
    Rob.

Bienvenue from Brittany ( thats France not Spears ) we are a warmand friendly Forum with a vast knowledge of the game , and sometimes where to get the game componants.
    But beware once sucked into the game the wallet will become lighter

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Rob: For certain! She used to "suggest" that I was hard to shop for, so I'm sure this will make life a little easier for her

Paul: Thank you! I have become acutely aware of both aspects, the latter of which seems to be a bit dangerous. Brittany looks like it has quite the wealth of historic architecture, which I am quite the fan of. I have no doubt it adds the atmosphere when one is daydreaming of piloting these vintage aircraft

Jeremy, welcome to the 'drome from Louisville, KY.

Apologies for the belated greeting -- I was lost on my last patrol but managed to find my way back to the squadron. The doctor says this twitch of the eye should go away eventually. Drinks are on me tonight in the mess!

Many, many great resources here and kind folks to share the hobby, history, and games. There are too many great books to fire your imagination, but if WW1 is an interest, many members here recommended The Friendless Sky by McKee, and of the many I've read it's a favorite. Even my 79 yr old mom enjoyed our latest WGF game but told me from now on she is claiming a Manfred von Richtofen triplane as her own.

Welcome

Thanks Chris!

I'll keep an eye out for that book. It looks like it's been reprinted several times, so there may be a reprint in the near future perchance? I'm glad that so many people enjoy this game, and all that goes with it. Although I do admit that I'm worried about adding any of von Richtofen's aircraft to my collection, as my girl may take a liking to them and I'll awake one morning to find out that they've mysteriously turned various shades of pink

Jeremy,
    just treat it as if it is Red which has faded due to age and the action of the Sun and the elements.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by VonSquid View Post
    Thanks Chris!

I'll keep an eye out for that book. It looks like it's been reprinted several times, so there may be a reprint in the near future perchance? I'm glad that so many people enjoy this game, and all that goes with it. Although I do admit that I'm worried about adding any of von Richtofen's aircraft to my collection, as my girl may take a liking to them and I'll awake one morning to find out that they've mysteriously turned various shades of pink
    Someone had a plane repainted for a young flyer...
    Name:  DSCN0440_Red.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  93.3 KB
    Note: not my work...
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

HA!!! You're killing me fellas

Thumbs up

G'day Jeremy & a belated welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.
    I can really recommend getting involved in the Solo Campaign called Over the Trenches (OTT) which has been ongoing for a number of years.
    I am a bit behind in my missions as I recently moved just befor Christmas from a rural property into a Villa in town.

I am sure you will enjoy your visits to the Forum & will find an amazing amount of info on this great game.

Thank you Barry!

I'm currently gathering together the supplies I need for solo campaigns. Once I become familiar with the mechanics, I'll join the Solo Campaign. Congrats on the move, and I hope you're finding it to your liking!

Quote Originally Posted by VonSquid View Post
    Thank you Barry!

I'm currently gathering together the supplies I need for solo campaigns. Once I become familiar with the mechanics, I'll join the Solo Campaign. Congrats on the move, and I hope you're finding it to your liking!
    SOLO CAMPAIGN?!?!?! Ha ha ha - ***immediately rushes off to browse to find such treasure***

Have a look at the Aerodrome Accessories store. They have these useful templates, along with many other enjoyable items

Similar Missions

1. PM a Member
    By viper in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-17-2018, 23:26
  2. new member
    By AlanWaller in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-05-2015, 15:59
  3. 2013 Origins member's tribute to 2014 member one
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9