Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackbird Laura

Default Blackbird Laura

Tyrol: "Just a ship, ma’am."
    Roslin: "Oh, you’re much too modest. After what we’ve been through, it would be very easy to give up, to lose hope. But not here. Not today. This is more than a ship, Chief. This is an act of faith. It is proof that despite all we’ve lost, we keep trying. And we will get through this, all of us, together. I promise."

(S02E09: Flight of the Phoenix)

Here our optional and totally unofficial rules for the Blackbird, by Andrea Mainini & me. Thanks to all playtesters in Rome and at Wings of Prague 2019! It's been fun, my friends, so let's share that fun with whoever wants to play.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Praga19-19.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	295587

Tyrol: "All right, here’s the deal. We are going to build a new fighter."
    Jammer: "What about the rest of the ships? I’m three days backlogged on repairs as is."
    Tyrol: "This is strictly an off-duty project. Nobody takes one minute away from regular maintenance and repairs. You got it? You don’t think we can do this?"

In any turn, after everybody planned Blackbird included, if there are no enemies within 24 cm the Blackbird can declare going stealth and switching off engines and lights. Its move is not revealed nor executed. The miniature is removed from the table and replaced with a cardboard replacement base to mark the last position and orientation.
    In next turns the player neither plan nor moves and he takes a turn counter.
    In any turn, after everybody has planned, before others reveal cards the Blackbird pilot can declare that he switches all on and reappears. He then puts back the mini on the table, then he reveals and executes the cards for the game he disappeared. Then, for each turn counter taken, he moves with a straight (eventually with a straight overboost too if needed) with the same speed and kinetic energy. Then he plans for the current turn. Then the turn resumes with the normal sequence.

Example. At turn 4 everybody plans and the Blackbird, who planned a curved booster and a curve to right at medium speed, having no enemy near it decides to disappear. At turn 5 it does not plan and it takes a turn counter. At turn 6 it does not plan and it takes a turn counter. At turn 7, after everybody planned, it decides to reappear. The player puts the mini on the replacement base, then he shows and executes the cards he planned for turn 4, then he moves twice with a straight booster and a medium speed straight (one for each turn counter taken), then he plans a S booster and a a left curve at slow speed, that he will normally execute in turn 7.

As long as it is invisible, Blackbird can not fight. When it is visible, starships shooting at it have a -2 malus unless the ruler of the shooter, after crossing any part of its base, reaches any point of a planetoid or large starship.

Apollo: "It’s going to be hard as hell to see on dradis, but the question is, will it fly?"
    Starbuck: "Just watch me."

Name:	BSG-Blackbird.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	295584

Name:	Blackbird - v1.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	295585

Name:	BlackbirdLaura.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	295586

Real size cards here:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2727

Great cards by OldGuy59:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/al...hmentid=267257

Name:	BSG_ViperCardFull_Blackbird2OldGuy59.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	295592

Points value:
    73 Quickstart rules unarmed
    76 Complete rules unarmed
    79 Quickstart rules armed (fire 8)
    82 Complete rules armed (fire 8)
    I made my miniature by paper. Just printed two profiles, an upper and a lower view, and glued them together. A cylindrical plastic bead from my daughter, glued underneath, fits perfectly in BSG:SB bases.

I used a set of drawings that I can not find any more online. Here they are. Artist David "CanisD" Briedis:

Name:	blackbird.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	296646

The two lower profiles were modified by me to enhance readability of the Laura signature, even if it's a bit larger than due.

But this drawing is not bad either:

http://www.shipschematics.net/bsg/im..._blackbird.jpg

Apollo: "Hey! Hey. Will you take it easy? Start slow. You’re testing the ship. It’s not about the pilot showing off."
    Starbuck: "I’m not showing off."
    Apollo: "Gods damn it, what is this? What are you trying to prove?"
    Starbuck: "I’m not trying to prove anything. You’ve got to be kidding me. Whoo! Oh, lords. Okay. Let’s see what this baby can do. Yaa-ha-ha-ha!"

Last edited by Angiolillo; 01-20-2021 at 06:00.

The chaps will appreciate this Andrea - I'm sure one of them will be able to produce a 3D print of it, if they haven't already !

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

I flew it in Prague - would love to get a model (or three!) and do so again.

Very many thanks for posting, Andrea!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks sooooo much Andrea! This is a great addition to BSG. Can't wait to get to try this out. Hmmmmm, now to come up with a mini for the Blackbird.

Someone with suitable 3D modelling skills needs to knock this one up and put it up on Thingiverse

Since maneuver cards were reduced uploading them as an image up there, I put the file with the real size cards here:

Last edited by Angiolillo; 12-30-2020 at 07:25.

I did up a ship card for this particular ship after Wings of Prague 2019:
    OldGuy59's Battlestar Galactica Stuff Album - Blackbird

Note: This card indicates an Attack value. The ship didn't have guns in the series, but did have the capability of launching missiles. We can house-rule stuff as desired, and the missile rules will soon be available, too.

PS: Because I had a lot of difficulty finding drawings of the Blackbird, I initially went with this ship:

OldGuy59's Battlestar Galactica Stuff Album - Stealthstar Mk II

PPS: FYI, I eventually had to take images and create my own outline drawings for the Blackbird to make the Blackbird card above. With Andrea's posted images, I may be able to complete the front view, now.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-31-2020 at 21:53.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Since maneuver cards were reduced uploading them as an image up there, I put the file with the real size cards here:

Thanks Andrea!

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I did up a ship card for this particular ship after Wings of Prague 2019:
    OldGuy59's Battlestar Galactica Stuff Album - Blackbird

Note: This card indicates an Attack value. The ship didn't have guns in the series, but did have the capability of launching missiles. We can house-rule stuff as desired, and the missile rules will soon be available, too.

PS: Because I had a lot of difficulty finding drawings of the Blackbird, I initially went with this ship:

OldGuy59's Battlestar Galactica Stuff Album - Stealthstar II
    Great card, Mike!

Many thanks for posting the link.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-31-2020 at 21:53.

Seconded, great card Mike. Thanks for sharing with the link.

Thanks a lot Mike, your works are always of top quality!
    Yes, in the series the Blackbird was unarmed. Scenario makers are free to add whatever they want. Adding an external missile would be probably easier than lodge guns. But feel free to do as you prefer.
    Rules above already match the possibility of an armed Blackbird when they state that the spacecraft can not shoot while invisible (both because while it goes on by inertia it can not aim and because shooting it becomes visible).
    I added the points value above.

Thanks Andrea. I'm sure we'll see a 3D printout soon.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

TRules above already match the possibility of an armed Blackbird when they state that the spacecraft can not shoot while invisible (both because while it goes on by inertia it can not aim and because shooting it becomes visible).
    Checked again the sources. Blackbird actually uses a missile in the Battle of the Resurrection Ships:
    https://www.battlestarwiki.org/Battl...urrection_Ship

But even carrying a missile probably makes the Blackbird detectable:
    "Colonel Tigh asks if the Blackbird could be used to sneak up behind the Resurrection Ship with a nuclear missile to destroy the Resurrection Ship outright. Thrace indicates that computer simulations show that the Cylons would pick up the radiological signature of the bomb (which cannot be hidden by the Blackbird's stealth ability). Such detection would destroy their element of surprise and likely warn the Resurrection Ship to jump away."
    https://www.battlestarwiki.org/Resur...n_Ship,_Part_I

Checked again the sources. Blackbird actually uses a missile in the Battle of the Resurrection Ships:
    https://www.battlestarwiki.org/Battl...urrection_Ship

But even carrying a missile probably makes the Blackbird detectable:
    "Colonel Tigh asks if the Blackbird could be used to sneak up behind the Resurrection Ship with a nuclear missile to destroy the Resurrection Ship outright. Thrace indicates that computer simulations show that the Cylons would pick up the radiological signature of the bomb (which cannot be hidden by the Blackbird's stealth ability). Such detection would destroy their element of surprise and likely warn the Resurrection Ship to jump away."
    https://www.battlestarwiki.org/Resur...n_Ship,_Part_I
    A nuke would be detectable, yes - in the Pilot 2-part episode, when an attacking Cylon Raider opens a hatch in its underside and reveals the missiles inside, it sets off the 'Radiological Alarm' on Galactica...
    "He's got nukes" - Adama

In the 'Resurrection ship' attack. the Blackbird carries, and launches a conventional warhead missile, and remains undetectable throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    A nuke would be detectable, yes - in the Pilot 2-part episode, when an attacking Cylon Raider opens a hatch in its underside and reveals the missiles inside, it sets off the 'Radiological Alarm' on Galactica...
    "He's got nukes" - Adama

In the 'Resurrection ship' attack. the Blackbird carries, and launches a conventional warhead missile, and remains undetectable throughout.
    Very good point! Sorry, we worked on the Blackbird quite a lot of time ago and I am pretty rusty.

There is a Blackbird model on Shapeways but it would need enlarging. https://www.shapeways.com/product/AG...li=marketplace

Name:	ViperBlackbird.png 
Views:	208 
Size:	333.9 KB 
ID:	295644
    Last edited by Naharaht; 12-31-2020 at 22:45.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4705401

Summary

Blackbird/Laura to be used with the game battlestar galactica starship battle.
    Last edited by Zoe Brain; 01-04-2021 at 08:28.

Length according to different sources is 5.375cm or a bit shorter at 2.04". I prefer 5.375cm.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/AG...85083&li=shops

Is being rescaled from 5cm accordingly. Watch this space.

Anyone know the dimensions of the hole for the stand?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Length according to different sources is 5.375cm or a bit shorter at 2.04". I prefer 5.375cm.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/AG...85083&li=shops

Is being rescaled from 5cm accordingly. Watch this space.

Anyone know the dimensions of the hole for the stand?
    The hole in the ships are hexagonal. Point to point ~3mm, flat to flat side ~2.5mm. I'm just looking at it with a ruler. Maybe Andrea can give the dimensions?

Funny, I just noticed when looking at the underside of a Viper Mk VII, '2019 Universal Cable Productions LTD.'

I have no exact dimensions for the hole from the factory... I can just measure it as you do.
    For the lenght, I always found 8,6 meters:
    http://www.wixiban.com/toys/eaglemoss-bsg.htm
    I am sure that I had different sources, but with the same data. Were did you find something different?

I have no exact dimensions for the hole from the factory... I can just measure it as you do.
    For the lenght, I always found 8,6 meters:
    http://www.wixiban.com/toys/eaglemoss-bsg.htm
    I am sure that I had different sources, but with the same data. Were did you find something different?
    I used the same source you quoted. 8.6m in 1:1 is 5.375cm in 1/160

Alternately, this 1/48 model at http://jt-graphics.com/MK_BA.html is 6.8" long, meaning 2.04" - 5.182cm - at 1/160.

I distrust coarse, round figures such as "8.6" or "6.8". I also distrust scaled figures of models whuch may have been adjusted for ease of manufacturing.

Visually, the difference between 5.375cm and 5.182cm is difficult to spot. Anything between 5.2 and 5.4 is probably ok. But I prefer 5.375 as it corresponds to a slightly more primary source.

I've just started the printer, lets see how this comes out in about 6 hours

Cheapest and quickest solution:

Name:	Blackbirdinaction.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	295853

No scale issues at all!

No scale issues at all!

I guess the scale issue is moot when comparing with existing models from other companies; the only o e that really matters is the prop made for the TV series. I guess one could scale from the length of the Viper canopy (the Blackbird used a MkII canopy? Could be wrong though).

Well in any case I am with Zoe: a couple of mm is really nothing. I was asking just out of curiosity.

We tried to deal with Battlestar Galactica with the same love for detail that we used for planes and ships. Within the bonduary of what can be called "reasonable" for game pawns. In any case it's Science Fiction, and a few millimeters of difference on the model does not make it incredible if compared to the few scenes where the Blackbird can be seen.
    At least we have consistent sources. I have always been amazed by how other companies boasted "exact scale models" from Star Wars, and players lost time to check and comment that... If you consider the state of the sources in that case:
    https://tinyurl.com/by2xb68

Well in any case I am with Zoe: a couple of mm is really nothing. I was asking just out of curiosity.

We tried to deal with Battlestar Galactica with the same love for detail that we used for planes and ships. Within the bonduary of what can be called "reasonable" for game pawns. In any case it's Science Fiction, and a few millimeters of difference on the model does not make it incredible if compared to the few scenes where the Blackbird can be seen.
    At least we have consistent sources. I have always been amazed by how other companies boasted "exact scale models" from Star Wars, and players lost time to check and comment that... If you consider the state of the sources in that case:
    https://tinyurl.com/by2xb68
    A consequence of doing the Kessel run in 12 parsecs is that you mix up Time and relative Dimensions in space.

So it gets bigger on the inside.

I think that was my point. Around 50-odd mm is fine. My dinnerplate Cylon raiders are smaller than they really ought to be as i wanted them to fit in the box I was using, same with my shuttle. But they look just fine on the table regardless

And you dont want to know about the scale variations in my "Expanse" fleets for Full Thrust

Name:	Blackbirdinaction.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	295853

No scale issues at all!
    Ah, stealth mode.

Funny idea Andrea to play in stealth mode!
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Print successful, a bit of cleaning up required then a paint job tomorrow once my studio has warmed up

Nice David. Hmmm....who do I know with a 3d printer that could print one for me....?

I do have a friend here in the states I'll ask that I'm sure will come through for me.

If we get to do Donnie this year there will be a Blackbird prize on the table As well as my Snoopy and Woodstock Viper that I prepared for last year.

Awesome print, David! Looks like I might have to assemble my 3D printer.

And here she is, finished. As usual I've spotted a few things in the photo that I'll want to clear up on the model but overall I'm pleased with the result. And there's a second one completed as well for Donnie.

(yes, I know its on the base the wrong way round )
    Last edited by David Manley; 01-06-2021 at 05:25.

Superb result!

Are there decals on the nose, Dave? Or did you paint the dedication "Laura" on it.

This will look excellent on the table.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Cracking job DM, it looks terrific

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

I updated the model to fix some of the issues and reduced the size to 5.3cm.
    It's also here with the cards i made.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...6Q6ereJnWkXjvF

A great piece of modelling, David!

Drawings I used for the paper mini added to the original post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Latest repaint - Sopwith Camel "Laura"
    By David Manley in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-19-2011, 02:12