Ares Games

Thread: P-61 Black Widow

Default P-61 Black Widow

Just wondering, has anyone here ever tried to conjecture stats for a P-61? I'm guessing the top-turret would be an "omnidirectional" attack that can attack anything within range regardless of angle, but the quad of 20mms could be a problem.

Anyone have any thoughts, and what stats do I need to grab and post?

The 20mm cannon were in the nose. The 360 turret had 4 .50 cal HMG's. Later models didn't come with the turret and most units removed them from the ones that did. They were faster without it.

4D/2D for the 20mm, 2B/B for the .50 cal turret.

EDIT: HR, thanks for the "damage deck" start-point. Don't mean to seem ungrateful.

Actually, once it was debugged, all -B's but the first one or two production-blocks and all the -C's got the turret back, and the 20's were in the belly, around 1/2 the length of the fuselage "pod". Entire nose was the exclusive domain of the SCR-720 radar and associated electronics... There was also some slight "engine power-creep" that offset the turret a little on the late models.

Found the flight manual online, have read it and am planning to set up a Microsoft FS X sim of it...

On the C-model, per official USAF records:
    Power: 2x2100hp P&W R-2800
    Speed 275mph cruise/425 max
    Ceiling 46200'
    External stores: 4 hardpoints for bombs up to 1600# each or droptanks, some A/C added 6x 5" HVAR rockets or 1x 1000# bomb on centerline
    Last edited by Diamondback; 01-18-2011 at 19:38.

No problem, been a long time since I looked at the widow. Once Andrea stated what the damage decks mean, I think it everytime I look at an airplane. Bit of a tech head.

Quote Originally Posted by HardRock View Post
    The 20mm cannon were in the nose. The 360 turret had 4 .50 cal HMG's. Later models didn't come with the turret and most units removed them from the ones that did. They were faster without it.

4D/2D for the 20mm, 2B/B for the .50 cal turret.
    20mm Cannon = C
    37mm = D
    therefore 4C/2C which is still a hod full of damage mind?

cheers,

Dave.

Your right, I spaced out there, that's what I meant to say.

4C/2C

Similar Missions

1. Old postcards...a black and white time-machine
    By Bluedevil in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 17:47
  2. Black Cross/ Blue Sky Game
    By Naharaht in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-18-2011, 12:14
  3. Grummann F4 F3 Martlet - Black
    By Scoop in forum WGS: Historical Discussions