Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSG Discontinued

Default BSG Discontinued

Sad news just released by Ares - BSG is being discontinued as of the end of the year due to licencing issues. They were not able to secure an extension from the licence holder.

That's tough news for the BSG fans.

The recent sale they had nearly drew me in - now I am glad I did not take the bait.
    Hopefully this will allow Ares to pay more time and attention to Wings.

I was looking forward to the missile expansion that was due out next year. At least it is going to be released as a free PDF. But no new minis. Glad I made my "original series" Vipers and Raiders via 3d prints now

Alas it's not surprising in a way. I've worked with a few companies that have had games based on film and TV series and it often doesn't end well. At least it hasn't driven Ares to bankruptcy as has happened before.

Very sad indeed, what will I do with a huge Galactica? Oh well . . .

Well. I will attempt to continue my plodding along on the BSG Solo App, cause I will eventually use it. Making it available on the Google Play store will probably meet with licensing issues, without the Ares product support, though. Private distribution might be possible, if I ever get it running?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

WOW! I am shocked on this one. When it comes to film and tv property, the negotiations never go well for the game designer.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    WOW! I am shocked on this one. When it comes to film and tv property, the negotiations never go well for the game designer.
    I was kind of expecting this with the recent on-line stuff about a new BSG TV series. It is a disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    That's tough news for the BSG fans.

The recent sale they had nearly drew me in - now I am glad I did not take the bait.
    Hopefully this will allow Ares to pay more time and attention to Wings.
    I don't know really. Early on I set a limit of just a few ships. I wasn't going to buy into it like X-Wing or WoG WWI. I'm glad I got the ships. Enough Vipers and Raiders for some really fun matchups. Its movement system is unique enough that it really sets itself apart.

I'm glad I got it.

Condolences, but this is the kinda crap Universal does on a regular basis.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Just snagged another copy of the Starter Set. I was going to get the expansion and another set of counters, as I have most of the previously released ships.

Prices for this game online were already heading starwards. The check for games today was a bit eye-opening, though. Starter Sets were around $50-ish USD, and now they are listed at $100+ in places...
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Condolences, but this is the kinda crap Universal does on a regular basis.
    That stinks. Where else did they do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    That stinks. Where else did they do this?
    Not so much games, but they have a long history of shafting licensees in general. Admittedly sometimes it's deserved, like Hasbro with their "phone-it-in" on Jurassic World and Universal responding by telling them "license terminated, we're going with Mattel now."
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

sorry to hear the news for you guys n girls. Silver lining is that 5 years from now your pension will be sorted out

This is a sad blow. I really enjoyed the BSG game. The miniatures were beautiful too. No more releases but this doesn't mean we should let the game die. Stats for hundreds of unofficial airplanes have been devised so we should be able to come up with more gaming material of our own, be it ships, missiles or whatever.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 12-30-2020 at 05:47.

Gutted.

I'd invested really heavily in this game, and was SO looking forward to the old-school Raiders and Vipers.
    I've stockpiled kits of Cylon Base Stars and Battlestars in readiness.

As Peter said above, we'll just have to improvise the extra bits we'll need...........

Still gutted, though.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

This is sad news but at least we will be able to download the pdf files.

I just saw this today on the ARES site. I bet the BSG models will prices like the WoW planes. Have to check out my LGS tomorrow.

We seem doomed to a hobby of discontinuity yet we persevere! What does that say about us? It is the fellowship we truly value most, carry on! Endure! Persevere! ie. buy like crazy and share what we can salvage! To the stores!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    This is a sad blow. I really enjoyed the 0BSG game. The miniatures were beautiful too. No more releases but this doesn't mean we should let the game die. Stats for hundreds of unofficial airplanes have been devised so we should be able to come up with more gaming material of our own, be it ships, missiles or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Gutted.

I'd invested really heavily in this game, and was SO looking forward to the old-school Raiders and Vipers.
    I've stockpiled kits of Cylon Base Stars and Battlestars in readiness.

As Peter said above, we'll just have to improvise the extra bits we'll need...........

Still gutted, though.
    I have templates and remain available to produce custom ship, pilot and talent cards as desired. We are also fortunate in having the game designer available to assist.
    Mike

Noooo! Disappointing news indeed, but as usual, the faithful members will carry the game forward.

sad that something couldnt be worked out. im guess the license holder was thinking their ip was a goldmine despite how long ago the shows aired.

Could Ares produce the additional counters pack under a name like 'Space Combat Game Counters' with all reference to BSG removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Could Ares produce the additional counters pack under a name like 'Space Combat Game Counters' with all reference to BSG removed?
    Interesting thought. It depends on the iconography, I suspect, and how much is "original" work by Ares. Things like the font for the "G" tokens might need to be removed, too. That would make it imperative to redo some work, something to which Ares would not likely commit resources.

I am going to have to correspond with Ares concerning my BSG templates, and whether I can post them on the Forum after 31 December 2020, as well. Many things done on this Forum are done with, as a minimum, Ares looking the other way, as it furthers their goals in some fashion. If Ares has lost the rights to the IP for BSG Starship Battles, I don't wish to have the Forum caught in a bun fight with NBC Universal.
    Mike

Sad news - time to secure that last missing heavy raider from my flagshipstore...

Really wanted to play with the pancake raiders and the stealth ship.

Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I wonder if the stats / cards for the TOS ships have been worked up and could be publushed as PDFs along with the expansions?
    Last edited by David Manley; 12-29-2020 at 23:25.

Shapeways have quite a range of spaceship models. Perhaps some will be useful for the game. https://www.shapeways.com/marketplac...D%5Bto%5D=2500

There are other sources of spaceship models also.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I wonder if the stats / cards for the TOS ships have been worked up and could be publushed as PDFs along with the expansions?
    These should be close:
    OldGuy59's Battlestar Galactica Stuff Album - TOS Cylon Raider
    OldGuy59's Battlestar Galactica Stuff Album - TOS Viper

Andrea can provide the actual stats, and I can amend the above. As for maneuver decks, that might take some work. But, I have templates...
    Mike

Sad news indeed, another great game disappearing from FLGS shelves. Invested in the all of the first wave of releases but still have a few of the latest ships to pick up. I'd better try and track some down before they disappear. At least the supplement and counters are still going to be made available as downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Sad news - time to secure that last missing heavy raider from my flagshipstore...

Really wanted to play with the pancake raiders and the stealth ship.

Let's start with the stealth ship, my friend:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...lackbird-Laura

Tyrol: "Just a ship, ma’am."
    Roslin: "Oh, you’re much too modest. After what we’ve been through, it would be very easy to give up, to lose hope. But not here. Not today. This is more than a ship, Chief. This is an act of faith. It is proof that despite all we’ve lost, we keep trying. And we will get through this, all of us, together. I promise."

(S02E09: Flight of the Phoenix)

Attachment 295584

A sadly out of focus shot of the Prague Con badge we all got for play testing BSG . Sorry no shots of Steve (Guntruck) piling into an asteroid but someone somewhere might have one.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    A sadly out of focus shot of the Prague Con badge we all got for play testing BSG . Sorry no shots of Steve (Guntruck) piling into an asteroid but someone somewhere might have one.
    Original artwork:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BSG_ParticipationCards150.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	295595
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-30-2020 at 11:44.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    You're not going to let that one go, are you Paul?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Thanks for all the friendship, the help, the good time.

Here Prague 2018, April 21st.

Name:	0949A5FB-FABB-4C0F-B7F9-FAC01EE84510.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	295615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66CAE696-0D67-46AD-BA8F-D2C879E8DECB.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	295617

Prague 2018, April 22nd

Name:	237F2EF5-A2CC-4DDF-9E6E-79E88EE79E57.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	295620Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86744025-E301-41BA-84FB-75A307B6BA01.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	295623Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7CA87489-2E07-443A-9702-6D733531F2D7.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	295624Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D32E873E-B06F-48FF-B62A-8BFE7B04B6B4.jpg 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	295625Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D5B01D1E-7DF9-4758-A841-53A3F894A2AB.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	295626Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6EBB295B-8617-494F-A314-5C0659F2F21F.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	295627Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EF1D0368-7A9C-482A-AA7C-9E45227BA923.jpg 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	295628

Prague 2019, April 14th.

Name:	6ED63972-6A93-4E14-8C80-D4958209B765.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	295604

Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 12-31-2020 at 04:08.

Sorry for the 0 gravity photos. Anybody lnows how I can rotate them?

I have added the pictures the correct way up Andrea, but you will have to edit and delete the wrong ones as I don't know which attatchment is which.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Done, thanks. I am not sure how to erase attachments from the blue square... but anyway you can read well those outside of it.

I sorted that now I can see the pictures in order Andrea. At least I can say I played BSG with you at Prague.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I read around that the license to Slitherine for the Battlestar Galactica Deadlock videogame has not been renewed. Nor the license for Moebius/Pegasus' models.
    We are not alone.

Well, sorry to hear it. I was getting close to filling out my WoG minimum collection wants, and was thinking about getting into this. Mostly I was waiting to see the available models filled out a bit to give variation in play. Having dealt with Hollywood (Paramount - Star Trek, produced/designed two computer games), it’s not all bad. But contracts can be a bit ruthless, alas.

I'm holding out hope that when NBC Universal gets their heads wrapped around where the series is going, they will be looking for tie-in products. It could be just that they don't want to be boxed in by "canon" stuff, if they go a different route.

Now, if they go with the same universe/mythology, the ships shouldn't change much. If they stay with that, then their production costs will be much less, as a bunch of work is already done. They can save their budget for new occasional items. I would like to think, with this approach, a miniatures game will be easy to reboot, with the new series. We would have the new elements to add, and perhaps new pilots, but the mechanics and the flavour would pretty much stay as is. Other board games based on characters and specific points in the series/mythology might not translate, and wouldn't promote the new series.

That's my 5 cents, and hopes for the future of this game. We'll see in two-ish years, if/when the series comes out.

Not holding my breath, but my fingers are crossed.
    Mike

oh well...and Just as I was considering getting into it...anyways...it's sort of a good thing for me so I don't keep spending every dollar I get...but still very sad to hear about this...

Since I saw this I have been buying out my LGS. He still has a few Just picked up 3 more today. Now if we get to play I have ships to bring to battle.

Looking forward to the Solo AI App.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1701 View Post
    Looking forward to the Solo AI App.
    So am I. Unfortunately, I was not able to get over the hurdle of pre-loading a database on initiating the app. I haven't worked on this for too many months, and I also haven't worked on the maneuver card decision tree algorithm, either. The Wings of Glory apps don't have the broad range of options (per turn) that the BSG Starship Battles app needs (IMHO) to work. There are up to six possible speeds, to begin with. There are rotation options, included with the six speeds. If those weren't complex enough, there are FTL jumps, as well.

I have spreadsheets of ranges, speeds, and vectors for six different options per turn (at six different speeds!). Even if I could get past the database issue, I would have a lot of playtesting to do to sort out the maneuver charts. Oh! And I am planning for more than Cylon Raiders in the process. I want to have the option of having a Cylon player fly against a Mk II Viper AI, or a Raptor, or perhaps a Mk I Viper.

So, I have to get minis on a table, and keep trying this stuff out. Also, not something I've dedicated time towards.

Sort-of a New Year's Resolution? Start working on this again, to keep this game alive. I'm hoping that NBC Universal will want tie-ins when they reboot the series.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    So am I. Unfortunately, I was not able to get over the hurdle of pre-loading a database on initiating the app. I haven't worked on this for too many months, and I also haven't worked on the maneuver card decision tree algorithm, either. The Wings of Glory apps don't have the broad range of options (per turn) that the BSG Starship Battles app needs (IMHO) to work. There are up to six possible speeds, to begin with. There are rotation options, included with the six speeds. If those weren't complex enough, there are FTL jumps, as well.

I have spreadsheets of ranges, speeds, and vectors for six different options per turn (at six different speeds!). Even if I could get past the database issue, I would have a lot of playtesting to do to sort out the maneuver charts. Oh! And I am planning for more than Cylon Raiders in the process. I want to have the option of having a Cylon player fly against a Mk II Viper AI, or a Raptor, or perhaps a Mk I Viper.

So, I have to get minis on a table, and keep trying this stuff out. Also, not something I've dedicated time towards.

Sort-of a New Year's Resolution? Start working on this again, to keep this game alive. I'm hoping that NBC Universal will want tie-ins when they reboot the series.
    I haven't given up on creating some more AARs for the game yet, so definitely looking forward to what you produce. Let me know if you need playtest help.

Users Country Flag

Name
    D. Scott Stewart
    Sorties Flown

Hello, gents! I'm very late to the game. I was gifted the base set over a year ago and barely touched it as it's hard to find anyone playing BSG or WoG here in northern CT, USA. Just picked up the models through the sale so I at least have them in my collection for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by maestrostewart View Post
    Hello, gents! I'm very late to the game. I was gifted the base set over a year ago and barely touched it as it's hard to find anyone playing BSG or WoG here in northern CT, USA. Just picked up the models through the sale so I at least have them in my collection for the future.
    When we can attend gaming conventions again keep a look out in New England as I run many Wings/BSG games at Havoc, Huzzah and Council of Five Nations. BSG is a great game and I'll continue to play it when I can.

Any news of the Additional Counter Set?

Anything that wasn't released as of January 2021, safe to assume it's toast. Sounds like Universal spiked ALL BSG licensed product across all sectors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Discontinued aircraft
    By check6 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-21-2010, 13:46