Ares Games

Thread: OTT CYM Mission 7 - "Snap the Trap" - 19th August 1916 - by Mikeemagnus

Default OTT CYM Mission 7 - "Snap the Trap" - 19th August 1916 - by Mikeemagnus

OTT CYM Mission 7 "Snap the Trap" - 19th August 1916 by Mike

18th August 1916 and the weather was hot and dry with few clouds in the bright blue sky. The sounds of gunfire rumbled in the distance as the slaughtering on the Somme and at Verdun dragged on and on, neither side gaining anything much at all, other than more corpses!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 Somme 7.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	295244 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 Somme 5.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	295245

Name:	3 Verdun 2.jpg 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	295246

“Hello!” exclaimed Lt Dubh Beard. “That chap looks like he’s in trouble.”
    He barked a few orders and those nearest him ran to see that an incoming aircraft and its crew got help. They were going to need it!

Name:	4 Dubh Beard.jpg 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	295247 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 Landing 2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	295248
    Acting Lt Dubh Beard

He had been watching as the pilot of a Sopwith two seater, streaming black smoke and barely manageing to hop over the hedge beyond the aerodrome, attempted a landing. It wobbled badly before bouncing several times on the grass, then rolled almost out of control, until it came to rest a few yards short of the ammunition dump. The risk involved in that had been enough to send anyone nearby scuttling hot foot to the rescue. Fire crew, an ambulance and mechanics, all rushed towards the Sopwith 1 ½ Strutter that had now come to rest.
    Dubh watched, concerned, as the pilot was carefully lifted from his cockpit. Others clambered to the rear cockpit, but the Ack Emma that got there first turned towards Dubh with a grim expression and shook his head. Sadly, the observer had already gone west.

Name:	6 Strutter 6.jpg 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	295249

By now, Dubh had noticed the markings on the bus. They were French. He made sure that everything that could be done for the pilot and his dead observer was done; gave orders for the mechanics to take the Strutter away and see what damage they could repair by the morrow, then made his way to the CO’s office.

Name:	7 C pic 8.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	295250 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8 Uncle (2).jpg 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	295251
    Uncle

“That didn’t look good Dubh” remarked the CO. Uncle, who sat nearby in an armchair, puffing away, as usual, on the aromatic tobacco in his precious pipe, concurred with a grunt.
    “No, sir” replied Dubh. “I’m afraid the observer is a goner and the pilot was all but unconscious by the time we fished him out. We’ve sent him off to No.21 Casualty Clearing Station at Corbie and I don’t suppose he’s going to be returning to any kind of duty for some time. We’ll inform his CO as soon as we know who that is.”
    “Any idea who these two airmen are?”
    “Working on that one still, sir. 2nd Lt Fletcher has recovered what id they had on them, but couldn’t make anything out yet. Too much blood and oil everywhere. But we should be able to identify them once things are cleaned up. Meantime, all I know is that they are French. The Strutter, too, has French markings.”
    There was a moments pause, then Uncle started mumbling to himself.
    “You alright Uncle?” said the CO.
    “What? Oh, yes” he replied somewhat vaguely, “Yes. That last part of Dubh’s report has given me an idea. How badly damaged is that Strutter, Dubh?”
    “Not certain about that either, Uncle. I’ve given orders for it to be patched up a.s.a.p. Why?”
    “Well, I’m not sure you’ll agree,” he said to the CO in particular, “ but what if we were to use the Strutter ourselves, as soon as she’s ready? After all, even once we’ve established the identity of those two Frenchmen and reported this to their escadrille, it’s not likely anyone will be able to pick up the aircraft immediately, now is it?”
    “Mmmm” muttered the CO, “What for Uncle?”
    “Well, the hun have been giving our reconnaisance boys a hard time of it recently. A couple of their scouts have been flitting in and out, when none of our own are around, and causing mayhem.

Name:	9 Halb 2.jpg 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	295252 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10 Halb 1.jpg 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	295253

“We’ve tried setting traps for them before, but the sight of one of our own two seaters, apparently alone, is usually a bit too obvious. The result, all too often, is a no show by the enemy I’m afraid. But what if we were to use the Strutter?

Name:	11 Strutter 5.jpg 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	295254

They’ll know that a French aircraft is likely to be way off course, in our neck of the woods and won’t be surprised if it has no cover. Only it will. In the form of a couple of our own scouts waiting in the clouds to ambush them.”
    “Devious!”, said the CO with a grin on his face. “Splendid idea. What do you say Dubh? Up for it tomorrow?”
    “You know me”, said the Irishman “Up for anything these days and I know just the fellows to take with me. I only hope the Strutter is ready in time and the weather cooperates for a change.”

That night, the Ack Emmas worked furiously and by the early hours of the morning the French owned Strutter was repaired, fully armed and with camera added, ready to go.

“OK lads" announced Beard. "I don’t really need to go through this, because you’ve done it all before. However, I’m going to anyway, so there shouldn’t be any mistakes. Timing will be all; you know that. Unfortunately there isn’t going to be a great deal of cloud cover, but just enough we think. A few odd puffs here and there, and the wind is quite light and from the west.
    “Harold, you and William will have the Strutter and take station on the front, over the Hun’s lines around Maurepas.

Name:	12 Maurepas 1916.jpg 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	295255

William, I want photographs of that sector. As many as you can get. Ignore the possibility of incoming enemy aircraft, because we’ll be up there watching over you. We want you looking inexperienced and preoccupied.”

Name:	13 AM1 William Conker and Lt Harold Isore.jpg 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	295256

Both the two seater pilot, Lt Harold Isore, and his observer, AM1 William Conker, were thinking the same thing at the same time -”How can you be watching over us if you’re in the clouds?”. But they had been together for a long while now and had worked with Lt Dubh Beard and the other scout pilot detailed for the operation, 2nd Lt Bo Fletcher, many times in the past. There was an unspoken mutual trust between them. So nothing was said out loud, other than “Right, sir” and nods of acceptance.

Name:	14 Dubh Beard (3).jpg 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	295257 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15 Bo Fletcher.jpg 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	295258
    Acting Lt Dubh Beard Bo Fletcher

“Good! Harold, you know the score. Give Bo and I time to get into place, but no looking for us. That’s important.” And Dubh was pleased to see the immediate nod of Harold’s head.

Later that morning the trap was set. The Strutter was over the German lines as planned and AM1 William Conker was busy taking photos – lots of them.

Name:	CYM7 1.jpg 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	295259 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM7 2.jpg 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	295260

Before two long, two enemy aircraft duly appeared to the east. But waiting to pounce on them, in some of the few clouds that had been correctly forecast, just to the south, were two Airco DH2s.

Name:	CYM7 3.jpg 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	295261 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM7 4.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	295262

Showing every sign of having failed to spot the Germans, Lt Harold Isore and his observer continued to fly their Sopwith on a norhterly course, apparently totally focused on their photo reconnaisance duties.

The German pilots, Obltn Hans Leptien and Ltn Franz Schlenker, were hardly inexperienced at this stage of the war and initially approached with some caution. But, just as Uncle had guessed, they identified this two seater as an off course Frenchman and as careful as they were to scan the skies for signs of a trap, they never saw it coming.

Name:	CYM7 5.jpg 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	295263 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM7 6.jpg 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	295264

They decided to attack and had presented their flanks nicely to the two DH2s just when the latter two flew from the small cloud bank and swooped on them.

Name:	CYM7 7.jpg 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	295265 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM7 8.jpg 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	295266

Both “Bulldogs” were pleased that their trap had been sprung successfully, but they were not quite prepared for what happened next. Always hoped for, yes, but not with any great expectations of this kind of success! Dubh fired a short burst at long range, but clearly he missed. Bo on the other hand, followed suit, with a short, long range, burst. The Halberstadt in his sights appeared to lurch . The aircraft rapidly spiralled earthwards and it was impossible to know if the pilot had simply dived away or if indeed the aircraft was stricken and therefore doomed. Either way, all of the RFC Bulldogs involved were pleased to note that the contest was now three to one in their favour.

Name:	CYM7 9.jpg 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	295267 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM7 10.jpg 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	295268

Name:	CYM7 11.jpg 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	295269

The remaining Halberstadt pilot was not deterred, however, and pressed home his attack, just as Harold Isore turned the Strutter through 180 degrees.

Name:	CYM7 12.jpg 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	295270 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM7 13.jpg 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	295271

There was a brief exchange of fire, in which both sides scored a few hits, but nothing too serious, then Isore, according to his orders, broke off and headed home. William conker managed to get off one final burst of machine gun fire on the receding Halberstadt, but to his annoyance, he not only missed, but his gun jammed. So that was that for the Strutter. Job well done and off home to a nice cup of hot sweet tea!

Name:	CYM7 14.jpg 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	295272 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM7 15.jpg 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	295273

Ltn Franz Schlenker, however, had other ideas and he endeavoured to follow, determined that the photographs aboard the Britisher two seater should not make it back into the hands of his enemies.

He banked to port, but now found himself confronting the two DH2s. The Bulldogs had read the intentions of the German pilot well, so had given chase. Too eagerly, in the case of Bo Fletcher, however, who almost collided with the retreating Sopwith. Fortunately for them both, Lt Isore kept his cool and managed to bank to starboard, just enough and just in time, to avoid a disaster.

Name:	CYM7 16.jpg 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	295274 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM7 17.jpg 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	295275

Blissfully unaware of how lucky he had been, Fletcher fired another long range burst. This time at the brown Halberstadt. He missed!

Name:	CYM7 18.jpg 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	295276 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM7 19.jpg 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	295277

And whilst the Strutter ambled off to the west and home, unmolested, the remaining three aircraft in the fight started to circle one another. The record of this is quite lengthy as it went on, remarkably, for quite some time. Round and round they went in circles, nobody able to get a shot in.
    (I have all the photos as evidence, but haven’t included them here because it would be just too boring – the last photo above is number 19. The next “action” picture is number 34 – yes it went on that long. I blame the dice throws which just would not come up anything but 1 or 8. Very Strange).

Until finally they reached a point where thay could all fire at once!

Name:	CYM7 34.jpg 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	295278 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM7 35.jpg 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	295279

Franz Schlenker played his ace skill at this point, but his gun jammed at the same time. He didn’t do a great deal of damage either! Dubh Beard returned fire, rather more effectively, but Bo Fletcher missed altogether.

Another brief exchange then occurred, between Beard and Schlenker, which didn’t involve any guns. The two clunked one another, in mid air, fortunately for both of them, harmlessly, before off the three of them went again in a round of a few more circles!!!!! Unbelievable.

This again continied for a while until finally, first Beard and Schlenker went head to head at long range, during which exchange the Halberstadt started to emit black dark oily smoke and the DH2 temporarily lost full rudder movement.

Name:	CYM7 39.jpg 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	295280 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM7 40.jpg 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	295281

Name:	CYM7 41.jpg 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	295282 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM7 42.jpg 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	295283

Then Dubh Beard reversed direction, used his ace skill for the first time and got on the tail of Schlenker’s Halberstadt by banking to port immediately after a so called Immelmann turn.

Name:	CYM7 43.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	295284 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM7 44.jpg 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	295285

A few rounds later and despite the need for some twisting and turning, and despite Bo Fletcher trying desperately to get into the action, Dubh shot the enemy aircraft down.

Name:	CYM7 45.jpg 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	295286 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM7 46.jpg 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	295287

Name:	CYM7 47.jpg 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	295288 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM7 48.jpg 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	295289

Dubh was wounded in the final exchange, and the Halberstadt caught fire before spiralling towards the trenches below. Dubh saluted the enemy pilot has he disappeared from view, because he had put up a very brave fight. Whether in desperation, or simply because he knew his number was up, so wanted to do as much damage to his opponent as possible, the Halberstadt had turned to meet Dubh head on again. But he had lost and Dubh had won. It was war!

And that was that, yet again. Both RFC pilots could heave a sigh of relief and head back to the barn once more, to face the same challenges again tomorrow!

Name:	CYM7 49.jpg 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	295290 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM7 50.jpg 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	295291

Name:	CYM7 53.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	295292 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM7 54.jpg 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	295293

But Uncle would be pleased today, no doubt about it!

That evening, in the mess of the Kaiser’s Eagles, there was a sombre mood, despite the attempts of everyone present to ignore the fact that two seats at the dining table were empty. They would be filled again tomorrow!

The End

The Butcher’s Bill

Entente

Name:	CYM7 55.jpg 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	295294

A Lt Dubh Beard / RTB / WIA / 1 kill
    Roll 2D6 = 9 – 1 WIA + 1 RTB + 1 Ace (Acrobatic pilot) = 10 – All good when you land well.
    Result: All good

2nd Lt Bo Fletcher / RTB / 1 kill
    Result All good

Lt Harold Isore (pilot) / RTB / no kills

AM1 William Conker (observer) / RTB / No kills

Central Powers

Name:	CYM7 56.jpg 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	295295

Obltn Hans Leptien / EXP FT / no kills
    Roll 2D6 = 4 – 3 EXP = 1 KIA
    Result: KIA Rip

Ltn Franz Schlenker / FLM FT / No kills
    Roll 2D6 = 2 – 2 FLM = 0 KIA
    Result: KIA Rip

Victory points
    Entente 22 points
    Central Powers 0 points

Nothing more to be said

Short, sharp and to the point – no messing about except for some very unusual dice throws, not least of which were those thrown for my Eagles

Baz, that was an excellent mission. Thanks. As you said it would be, it was a perfectly simple mission, to help those who are behind with everything. That certainly applied to yours truly

Uncle: Sorry if there are any errors in the tally! I have checked my Eagles rosta. I don’t think I need replacements for Leptien and Schlenker as I still have six scout pilots available; five of them fit for duty in mission 8, one of which is Obltn Gisbert Habich whom I presume will take over command
    Last edited by flash; 01-13-2021 at 13:50. Reason: Title adjust/prefix

Enjoyable AAR, Mike, with some great photos and a total victory for your Bulldogs.

Apparently I’m not ‘spreading’ enough rep around. I will have to circle around which is appropriate for this AAR.

Well that went well !
    Shocking dice rolls for the Eagles, poor beggars.
    I too must spread the love and circle back..

Uncle says:

I love it when a plan comes together !
    Well done to all involved, that was a magnificent result, a brace in the bag and we managed to get the French plane back in one piece - they won't even know we used it !
    A crate of beers to the OR's mess and drinks on our victors.
    2Lt Bo Fletcher is awarded the Military Cross for his fifth victory & service to King & Empire
    The French chaps also want to reward him for services to the republic with a Croix de Guerre

Meanwhile on the other side..
    A black day for the Eagles - You presume correctly - ObLtn Gisbert Habich has assumed command.
    Last edited by flash; 02-01-2021 at 08:36.

"He is wise who watches"

Very enjoyable Saturday morning read, Mike.
    Well, except for the bit where two of our brave Adler will no longer be doing their best for der Kaiser.

I love some of those pictures you put into the lead up.
    Brilliant idea to get your French Strutter some action.

Unfortunately, my rep Spandau has jammed, so have a toast instead.

Thanks guys - it really was a good mission to play and I was pretty pleased when one of the first damage cards to be drawn was the boom. Especially after the Adlers gave my Bulldogs such a trouncing over Dover harbour. However, I didn't expect the dice rolls during the tally at the end to go quite so badly Not too pleased about that at all C'est la guerre, huh!

So congratulations to Obltn Gisbert Habich who will take command of my Adlers and here's a toast to absent friends

This AAR flew under my radar Mike, sorry for that. You have some astoundingly good long shots of your table as the opening for your game, I spent quite a while looking at them thinking what a damn fine veiw it was. Every time you get me thinking, hum 3d terrain, that really is the way to go, until I come to my senses.

The mission went well, at least it did if you weren't a German pilot, what bad luck with 2 KIA, that's a bit of a bummer, but 2 more victories for your Bulldogs which is always welcome news.

Rep gun needs reloading I'm afraid, either that or it's jammed.

And another thing, who is this Bo Fletcher, sounds like a pseudonym for a Robin Hood, have you checked his paper's rigorously because he's the spitting image for Jock number 1 of my Twa Jocks fame Hugh MacIver. MacIvers not been getting in much flying time lately so I'm not too suprised he's moonlighting for you, maybe he enjoys flying a single seat scout rather than the lumbering things I've had him flying. Has Jock 2 turned up at your field, he goes by the name of Alec MacGregor, he might be using a pseudonym like Rufus William, they are both jolly looking chaps but with killers eyes.
    You could check Bo Fletchers bunk because if it is Jock 1 he won't be there, as he's currently in the air flying mission 10 for me. If he is in his bunk - gawd help us if there's 2 of them.

Rep guns still jammed, I'll bring the mallet next time.

And another thing, who is this Bo Fletcher, sounds like a pseudonym for a Robin Hood, have you checked his paper's rigorously because he's the spitting image for Jock number 1 of my Twa Jocks fame Hugh MacIver.
    You could check Bo Fletchers bunk because if it is Jock 1 he won't be there ....
    I believe a DNA test may reveal that MacIver's father has been playing the field somewhat! I grant you, the likeness is remarkable, but we believe Bo took his mother's family name, after she insisted that his father had deserted them and had later been killed whilst Bo was still a toddler. Something about falling off a horse and breaking his neck. But there was never any proof of this and Bo's accent is definitely not from Bonnie Scotland. Sadly his mother also passed away a short while before the start of this dreadful conflict so we shall probably never know the truth of it. As far as we know, therefore, Bo is a waif!!!!! So your fears are realized - there are two of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    I believe a DNA test may reveal that MacIver's father has been playing the field somewhat! I grant you, the likeness is remarkable, but we believe Bo took his mother's family name, after she insisted that his father had deserted them and had later been killed whilst Bo was still a toddler. Something about falling off a horse and breaking his neck. But there was never any proof of this and Bo's accent is definitely not from Bonnie Scotland. Sadly his mother also passed away a short while before the start of this dreadful conflict so we shall probably never know the truth of it. As far as we know, therefore, Bo is a waif!!!!! So your fears are realized - there are two of them.

Another tour de force Mike . Keep this up and and there will be no more Pinterest or Wiki photos left to pillage

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

What an amazing AAR Mike, you should be paid to do these. So entertaining and brilliantly presented. Well done.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT-CYM Mission 7 - "Snap the Trap!" - 19th August '16 - by Tikkifriend
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-11-2021, 12:59
  2. AAR OTT CYM Mission 7: "Snap the Trap!" 19 August 1916 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-07-2021, 11:56
  3. AAR OTT-CYM Mission 7 - 19th Aug 1916 - "Snap the Trap"--gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-07-2021, 11:41
  4. AAR OTT-CYM-Mission 7 - "Snap the Trap!" - 19th August '16 by Vagabond