Thread: Hi there

Users Country Flag

Name
    david
    Sorties Flown

Default Hi there

Original title huh?
    In response to the message asking me to stick a quick bio up -
    I'm 65, retired, moved back to sunny Lancs on retirement (back to my home town of St Annes after 40 years away in darkest NE Scotland). No experience of the game at all, but it's always been a fascination of mine - I did play some wargames back in the 60's 70's, mainly WW2 armour. Made lots of models, less so in the past few years as my eyesight is going, but that hasn't stopped me ordering up some 1/144 models (Shapeways) that'll I'll be trying to turn into WoG planes for a bit of a change from the computer. Most gaming has been on the PC, playing strategy games quite a lot over the years.

Thanks to Covid I won't be getting out a great deal, along with the rest of you no doubt, but I'd quite like to take in a model show sometime next year, and I've a vague memory of hearing about a wargaming club hereabouts somewhere that I'll try to find out about as and when we look likely to be allowed out again.

I DID once write a dogfight game on the Atari ST many years ago (I've produced a few programs over the years, a couple have even sold to non-relatives!) that was actually based on an old computer wargame on the Commodore 64 called 'Eagles' - WoG is very similar, so I'm expecting to feel quite at home when I unwrap my surprise present (WoG starter set, Se5 and Albatros) on Christmas morning.

Keep safe,
    Dave

Seems like you have it all planned out. Fingers crossed.

(welcoming head bobs) from the lizard here in the 'States.
    Be sure to check the files section for scads of ad-ons, like "unofficial" aircraft, scenarios, playmats, DYO campaigns, etc.
    And if you're looking to expand your collect, check out the sale/trades/wanted threads, check the aerodrome store, consider Shapeways for some others. And if you have any other questions,a sk around, we're a friendly bunch here.

Welcome to the 'Drome! Glad you're hear...be sure to check out the files section...lots of nice goodies there!

Welcome to the 'Drome' David. Take a look at the 'Files' section where you will find a wealth of information about the game/hobby.
    Fly safe and remember to always watch your six!

Welcome to the 'drome, David, from the far side of Canada!

Lots of stuff here to help make those Shapeways items into WoG planes. Just ask, and someone will jump in to advise, help, or point you in the right direction.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Hello again David, delighted to see you entering the fray...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Thumbs up

Welcome to the 'drome David on behalf of the pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.

Welcome to the Aerodrome David. Once Covid is tamed you'll be in the hotseat flying at all the shows you guys have over there in Britain.

Welcome to the Aerodrome Dave from down in Dorset. Whilst social gaming is restricted by Covid, I would recommend checking out Dave's D8 AI solo rules in the Files section.

Hi Dave, welcome from Essex.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

welcome to the drome david!!!

Welcome to the 'drome Dave, from a chilly Dorset this afternoon, fascination is all you need to get going, the rest will follow !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

A welcome to you from me down in a wet Brizzle

Bienvenue from soon to be Brexit France
    You will have a retirement of fun on the Drome and as a plus the game is good as well !!. Covid permitting we all get together in September in sunny Doncaster for a week end of gaming , WW1, WW2, Sails and Battle Star Galactica to which all members of the forum are invited to take part in. Hope to see you there
    Paul

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

God to have you on the Drome Dave. All the goodies you need to get started and bags of advice from we oldsters and young pilots alike. If you need help with anything just shout. We can usually sort it out.
    Fly safe and watch out for the enemey on your tail. Make sure he keeps at a safe distance.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Ello David

Welcome to the Drome. Enjoy yerself. Ask a lot of questions, lads n lasses on here always willing to answer (believe me I asked some lulus) Dave's D8 solo rules keep us out of mischief until we can meet up.

Welcome to the 'Drome, David!

I look forward to meeting you / shooting you down / being shot down by you at any or all of the shows we hope to appear at next year.

Enjoy! And watch out for the Hun in the Sun (that'll be me! )
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Welcome, Dave, from (today at least) sunny Oregon.

Be sure to check out the Over the Trenches campaign.
    The solo rules are especially good in the dark days of COVID.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, David, from here near Norwich.

I'm a trifle late to the welcoming committee, someone nicked the Aspidistra from the mess bar and put it in the WingCo's office, again. Please don't the change in air temp is not conducive for poor old Astrid.

Anyway back to the welcome, hi David from Us Up North. Look forward to Doncaster and thats where we all get together, swap war stories of derring do and try to win the Eagle. Have a good un and do have a bash at Flash's WW1 solo campaigns. Well worth it.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    I'm a trifle late to the welcoming committee, someone nicked the Aspidistra from the mess bar and put it in the WingCo's office, again. Please don't the change in air temp is not conducive for poor old Astrid.

Anyway back to the welcome, hi David from Us Up North. Look forward to Doncaster and thats where we all get together, swap war stories of derring do and try to win the Eagle. Have a good un and do have a bash at Flash's WW1 solo campaigns. Well worth it.

Neil
    You forgot to mention beer, we also manage to drink beer.... mmm beer

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    You forgot to mention beer, we also manage to drink beer.... mmm beer
    Doesn't that go without saying? Beer...

Hi David and welcome from the beautiful Hudson River Valley in New York colony. You'll find the members of this site friendly, helpful, and very knowledgeable -- if you have a question ask away someone will have expertise on the matter. Where in Scotland did you spend your time? I spent the entirety of last year's holiday season in Glasgow visiting with my youngest daughter (who was a graduate student at the Royal Conservatoire). The Glasgow District Wargamers Society gave me a terrific Seven Year's War game using Black Powder Rules (picture attached).
    Bill
    Name:  glasgow wargame16.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  146.0 KB

Name:  Glasgow wargame 8.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  137.6 KB

Name:  Glasgow wargame 10.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  80.3 KB