Ares Games

Thread: OTTCYM - Mission 10 - Keep on Trucking Flash - 12th September 1916

Default OTTCYM - Mission 10 - Keep on Trucking Flash - 12th September 1916

There was a big push on and The Bulldogs had a part to play - Uncle passed on the orders from GHQ: Keep low, support the ground forces where you can, protect them from the Hun, report back on the progress of the battle.

So it was that 2Lt Alan Keye, recently returned from injury and pleased as punch to be flying a new green Nieuport 17, found himself leading two wingmen low over the front; 2Lt Percy Veer in a silver Nieuport 17 to his right, 2Lt Evan Keel in a similar machine marked #2 to his left.
    Keye spots below them a convoy of trucks heading out into what had once been no mans land toward what he takes to be the new British wonder weapon everyone is on about - the tank - but looking ahead he realises he's not the only man in the sky to do so..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2420.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	295204

Oberleutnant Johannes Achilles in a new Albatros D.II has appeared over the lines opposite the convoy leading a flight of Eagles - Ltn Hans Eberhardt Gossner to his right with a red spinner, Ltn Raven Busse to his left with a blue spinner and followed by Ltn Stefan Loerzer in a Halberstadt D.III.
    Achilles waggles his wings and with a chopping hand motion signals his men into the attack.

Name:	SAM_2419.jpg 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	295205

Keye realises they have a chance to spoil the Hun assault, he signals the chaps and breaks right to head them off. Veer seems not to have cottoned on to the idea and keeps straight on for a moment, whilst Keel seems ahead of the game and has already cut behind them both - Bright lad.

Name:	SAM_2426.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	295206

Realising they cannot reach the trucks before they get caught the Huns turn to face the Bulldogs head on as they pile into the attack...Both sides let fly lead and tracer but Keye is disappointed as their rounds seemingly have no effect whilst his machine is heavily damaged and Veer's, beside him, blows smoke..

Name:	SAM_2427.jpg 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	295207

Keye pulls right amongst all the confusion in order to get back to the convoy and is strafed by a green Haberstadt that is following the main pack of Albatrii. He grins savagely as Veer, firing right past him, manages to set it on fire.

Name:	SAM_2429.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	295208

Over the convoy the Hun leader drops his nose and opens up on the second vehicle in the procession; Keel reverses after him but with his nose down is unable to get a shot on. The Hun with the blue spinner reverses rapidly, as it rotates it somehow manages to get a squirt at Keye as he follows round behind Keel but jams one of it's guns in the process.

Name:	SAM_2430.jpg 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	295209

The Hun with the red spinner has also reversed and manages a long range shot on Veer's tail but bar a couple of holes no damage is done.

Name:	SAM_2431.jpg 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	295210

As the Hun leader works over the convoy Keel & Keye get in behind him and work him over in kind from close range - something snaps in a lower wing and down he goes... Kill to Keye

Name:	SAM_2433.jpg 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	295211

As he spins in his comrades, recovering from their reversals, are turning back toward the convoy ...

Name:	SAM_2435.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	295212

Keye, knowing they're now out of position, pulls a Split-S hoping to get back over the convoy as quickly as he can but the shark like Albatrii are already moving in for the kill... Veer, playing catch up, has missed them as they turn back

Name:	SAM_2437.jpg 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	295213

The two Albatrii swoop down and shred the truck at the convoy's rear - the one with the red spinner doing the damage - it begins to burn

Name:	SAM_2438.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	295214

Keye can only watch on helplessly

Name:	SAM_2440.jpg 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	295215

The Eagles continue their deadly work taking on the next two trucks in the convoy

Name:	SAM_2441.jpg 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	295216
    (made an error here - looks like the trucks made a double move)

The Halberstadt, badly damaged by fire is heading home but joins the party making a beam attack on the last in line causing much damage with its single gun

Name:	SAM_2442.jpg 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	295217
    (played an A card tho ! )

The Bulldogs can only watch on but are quickly reloading their guns so they can give full beans when they catch up to the action

Name:	SAM_2446.jpg 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	295218

Name:	SAM_2447.jpg 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	295219

Name:	SAM_2450.jpg 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	295220

The Bulldogs, weapons charged, swarm in looking for opponents as the Eagles clear the convoy

Name:	SAM_2452.jpg 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	295221

The Albatros with the red spinner turns in and noses down toward the convoy - it's twin guns make short work of the lead vehicle and it explodes.
    Loerzer's badly damaged Halberstadt takes the opportunity to slip away in the background

Name:	SAM_2453.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	295222

Keye catches the Johnny with the blue spinner at close range as he rounds the convoy, he causes little damage before his gun jams and the return fire is enough to convince him it's time to head for the barn before his mount falls apart around him.

Name:	SAM_2454.jpg 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	295223

Moments later the blue spinner is lighting up the convoy again even as Evan Keel catches the other from behind and puts a burst about the cockpit.. he sees the pilot flinch

Name:	SAM_2455.jpg 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	295224

Keel stays on target and puts in a second burst at close range as blue spinner noses up and puts a long range effort in toward Veer behind him, jamming his second gun for no visible results

Name:	SAM_2456.jpg 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	295225

Keel empties the last of his pan into the Albatros at close range as he continues to chase it round; tracers flash past as Veer takes a long range snap shot at it too.

Name:	SAM_2457.jpg 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	295226

Keye slips away to nurse his bird home

Name:	SAM_2459.jpg 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	295227

The protagonists circle the convoy as it continues it's journey

Name:	SAM_2464.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	295228

The Albatros with the red spinner reverses suddenly shaking off Keel's attentions but runs slap into Veer who was following on. The exchange is at long range - both taking hefty damage - Veer loses a pot and is forced to retire with his engine damaged but it's also enough to send the Albatros on its way.

Name:	SAM_2469.jpg 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	295229

The Hun work over the convoy once more - the new lead truck is taken out by the retreating machine with the red spinner

Name:	SAM_2470.jpg 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	295230

Keel peels round and gets a long range effort into the one with the blue spinner without any return

Name:	SAM_2471.jpg 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	295231

Seeing the remaining truck about to make it to safety of it's objective, running low on fuel and unable to catch up with the Hun Keel calls it a day and heads for home, waving cheerio to his opponent as he leaves

Name:	SAM_2476.jpg 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	295232

The Butcher's Tally:

The Eagles:

Name:	SAM_2481.jpg 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	295234
    Obltn Johannes Achilles: Albatros D.II - EXP-ET 0 kills
    Rolled 10 -3EXP = 7 - - Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenario. Rolled 1 = Skip 1
    E&E: Rolled 9 -1EXP -1WIC -1BEL = 6 In hiding! - Skip 1D2 Scenarios. Rolled 4 = Skip 2

Achilles awoke in the cockpit of his machine, the engine ticking as it cooled. He clambered out with some difficulty. Looking back he saw he'd cut quite a swathe across an open field and shed most of the machine attached parts during the journey. He was lucky. Now it was time to leave and he limped toward a nearby woodland to hide up while he planned his escape...

Ltn Hans Eberhardt Gossner: Albatros D.II red spinner - FRTB-D / WIA 0 kills (2 Trucks)
    Stuck the Landing - Rolled 8 -1WIA +1RTB = 8 - Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenario. Rolled 6 = Skip 2

Ltn Raven Busse: Albatros D.II blue spinner - RTB 0 0kills (1Truck)

Ltn Stefan Loerzer: Halberstadt D.III - FRTB-D 0 kills
    Stuck the landing.

The Bulldogs:

Name:	SAM_2482.jpg 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	295235
    2Lt Alan Keye: green Nieuport 17 FRTB-D 1 kill (Achilles)
    Stuck the landing

2Lt Percy Veer: silver Nieuport 17 - FRTB-E 0 kills
    Stuck the landing

2Lt Evan Keel: silver Nieuport 17 #2 - RTB 0 kills

The Convoy:

Name:	SAM_2480.jpg 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	295233
    Three destroyed, the fourth severely damaged.

Victory Points:
    Eagles: 3 trucks destroyed = 6 pts
    Bulldogs: 1 Plane destroyed & 1 truck made it = 6pts

Draw

Well a few errors made as I played this in parts I think. I used three Bulldogs so no AAMG - that may have been a mistake as it turned out but I liked having the extra machine.
    Used my usual rules for Alt etc - used it like I did in the airfield strafing game and I flew as Alan Keye. He made it home this time and with a kill to boot so I can't grumble with that.
    Thanks for the game Paul

A note on set up - you will notice that the set up I used was not as per instructions. What I did was measure the distances from the set up given then transferred it so that I could run the convoy over the Trenches mat, diagonally as it turned out. I marked the escape point on the far edge with a tank card.
    I also used a stall card with the convoy selection which only came up once as it happened, right after the first truck died so it seemed appropriate.
    Last edited by flash; 12-12-2020 at 08:24. Reason: Update victory points

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Uncle says:

Well that could have gone better, we lost the majority of the convoy but something did get through at least and we bagged the Hun leader so not a total loss.
    We're going to find it tough against these Albatrii for a while - maybe we can look at getting some extra guns from somewhere.. and I hear some chaps at 60 have been working on a bigger pan for the Lewis gun.. I'll make a call.
    Last edited by flash; 12-11-2020 at 11:18.

A gallant effort, Dave, against the odds with those Albatrii. A kill for Keye, so a consolation beer at mess.

Rep on its way but I have to 'spread' it around first.

Thanks Paul, it was a big ask so I was just glad the chaps got what they did and could make it home in one piece.

Looks like it was a hard fought battle, the Albatrii are going to be tough opponents but we've probably been having it easy against the Elll's, this will be a wake up call. Certainly don't fancy my chances against them.

Enjoyable storyline even if a defeat for the Bulldogs.

Afraid I need to unjam the lewis to fire rep your way.

Nice pile up there Dave. Question did the final 4th truck cross the line or is assumed to have done so , in which case you get 3 points and a draw

Nasty type III Albatross, just go to show how the shift in plane type and armament made for a safer German sky

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    ... Question did the final 4th truck cross the line or is assumed to have done so , in which case you get 3 points and a draw...
    Good point ! Yes it was assumed to cross the line as there was nothing there to stop it in the first move of the turn. Updated to a draw. I did actually write the points out but was interrupted when writing up & obviously missed that one out !

Nicely done, Dave.
    A draw against the Albatros is probably fair game.
    (D.II not D.III, Paul)

It will be interesting to dust off my 'A' decks after nearly two years when I get this mission to the table, and it's probably 5 years since my D.II have seen action.
    Probably be a couple of weeks before I can get to this one.
    Gotta get my N.17s decaled ....

My Spandaus worked fine - rep on the way.

Thanks Pete, watch those Albatrii - double teaming one worked !

Thumbs up

What a set too that was Dave!
    Hard work with 3 N17's Vs 4 Huns all with 2 guns so you chaps did very well to pull a draw.
    Some deserved Rep is on its way!

Thanks Baz, good to see you back mate

WoW Dave - I take my hat off to you. Taking on three of those Albatros DIIs firing on the A deck. Goes to show it can be done. One down and two FRTB. Ok so the Albatrii were focused on the convoy and did a damn good job there, but just the same - a fine performance from the Bulldogs. I reckon you are correct, with the appearance of the Albatros DIs and DIIS at this time, us Bulldogs are in for a tricky last two missions. Bring on those bigger pans (and not the bed type)
    REP inbound

Amen !

Looks like it's going to be up hill for a while against these Hun twin gun machines. Good work to pull off a draw. One Hun down and all your boys made it home so a good day's work.

Argh, REP gun jammed. In my Arnold voice..."I'll be back".

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTTCYM Mission 6 - Dog days of Aout - 12th August 1916 by Tikkifriend
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-13-2021, 20:39
  2. AAR OTTCYM - Mission 5 - Going Solo - 5th August 1916 by flash
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-05-2021, 01:02
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-30-2020, 07:36
  4. Replies: 11