Ares Games

Thread: OTT CYM Mission 9 “Who’s Stalking Who?” 5 September 1916 (Vagabond)

Default OTT CYM Mission 9 “Who’s Stalking Who?” 5 September 1916 (Vagabond)

Another dawn patrol, I’d lost count a long time ago but they never seemed to get any easier for me. I hated the dawn with a passion. Yes I know, the sun coming up over the trenches is a beautiful sight, especially with a cloud of mustard gas outlined by its rays but I would sooner be in bed with the blankets pulled up around my ears. It was bad enough up here 10,000 feet above the trenches but I could never forget what it was like down there, the mud, bullets and shells. I’ve not forgotten the gas although I would like to.

We were high and climbing higher, headed for the trenches and looking for trouble, I was leading the patrol, there was just me and Taki. Ichiro Takahashi had been with us long enough to have made a place for himself around the fireplace in the Mess, I liked the young Japanese lad, he had mettle, you knew he would stick with you in a fight. I say he was young but there was barely 6 months between us however I had been out here longer and that ages a man, we both arrived as boys but that seemed like a long time ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001 P1450880.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	295074
    I saw them first, a pair of the new Halberstadt's and waggled my wings pointing at the enemy machines. Taki flying as my starboard wingman was awake and paying attention, he immediately waved a gloved hand indicating he’d seen them and we turned to attack.

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	295075
    I wondered briefly what they were doing over our side of the lines, that was unusual but we were in their blind spot and closing but not fast enough. Unfortunately we didn’t have advantage of height and I knew these planes were as fast as our own machines, we would be lucky to creep up on them without being spotted.

Name:	003 P1450883.jpg 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	295076
    I’d turned in fast to try and close the gap, catching Taki by surprise and so we had swapped positions he was now on my port side and we were flying in the wake of the German planes.

We tried our best, but pretty soon it was obvious that we couldn’t catch them and so I fired a long range burst just to catch their attention.

Name:	004 P1450884.jpg 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	295077
    That worked rather better than I expected because the two enemy performed beautifully executed Immelmann turns, perfectly coordinated and the blood ran cold in my veins wondering if we had caught a pair of tigers by the tail.

Name:	005 P1450888.jpg 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	295078
    I could see Taki’s bullets striking the CDL machine and he must have hit an oil line or something because smoke suddenly started to emanate from the enemy plane, as I prepared to open fire on my target I watched out of the corner of my eye to see if the smoke would be followed by flames, but that didn’t happen.

There’s a ridiculous convention that one should never turn away from an enemy plane when it's flying head on a collision course. I’ve no idea where this came from, must be HQ, they are the only ones capable of dreaming up such a patently mad idea, but there it is.

Name:	006 P1450889.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	295079
    Both Taki and I continued to fly straight at the Hun, unfortunately they had the same insane idea in their head’s and we just missed each other by the narrowest of margins. The only benefit was that we were closing so fast that we barely had time to fire and did no damage to each other, once again I blessed my brown fighting trousers that hid a multitude of sins.

Name:	007 P1450891.jpg 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	295080
    As soon as I realised we were going to pass each other I pulled up and Immeled straight away, I’d expected the brown plane in front of me to Immel as well but he was starting to turn to port and was a sitting duck.

Name:	008 P1450892.jpg 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	295081
    I never was very good at duck shooting, although I instinctively opened fire, and I could see holes appearing in his machine, we were that close. I knew I’d hit him but almost immediately my gun jammed. Damn and blast the thing, I knew I should have checked the bullets last night instead of having that last drink in the Mess.

C’est la vie, I think the French say, although merde was what actually went through my mind.

Name:	009 P1450893.jpg 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	295082
    The blasted CDL Halberstadt had done a hard banking turn and he almost collided with me as he flew past, crikey things were getting hot around here.

Name:	010 P1450894.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	295083
    We were spread all over the sky, jockeying for position, Taki achieved it first and was able to put some hurt on the brown plane which also started to smoke, I wondered if they had some sort of a design flaw, if they do I’m really pleased I’m not flying them.

Name:	011 P1450896.jpg 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	295084
    I quickly forgot that thought as I saw one of the Hun flying into a huge cloud bank.

If only Taki and I can concentrate on the other one before he gets back into the fight, we might save our skins - perhaps.

Name:	012 P1450898.jpg 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	295085
    I had the other one in my sights and opened fire first but I could feel his return bullets boring into my machine as we flew towards each other then I realized that maybe I’d come off second best in this exchange.
    We both jinked to the right and that was all that saved us flying straight into each other. Hell's teeth and bugger to that idea of not flinching.

Name:	013 P1450897.jpg 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	295086
    The CDL Halberstadt disappeared into the cloud formation, I wondered if maybe he would get lost in there and we’d never see him again.

Name:	014 P1450899.jpg 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	295087
    Nope:- no such luck as he emerged right in front of his partner and headed our way.

Name:	015 P1450901.jpg 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	295088
    Again planes were jockeying for position and eventually Taki and the brown plane exchanged shots.

Name:	016 P1450902.jpg 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	295089
    Flying past each other I could see Taki shaking his fist at the German but with the amount of smoke coming from the Hun's engine he probably couldn’t see the futile gesture anyway.

Name:	017 P1450903.jpg 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	295090
    Eventually the smoke stopped pouring forth and the Hun was able to bring his plane back into the fight without being half blind. That’s when Taki hit him again.

Name:	018 P1450904.jpg 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	295091
    He and Taki continued their duel but then the DE4 was hit and like the Germans it started to smoke, but with the engine being behind the pilot he is not blinded as with the Hun.
    We didn’t know it then but shortly the Brown Hun was going to turn for home, he’d either lost his bottle or his plane was badly damaged, you never really know.

Name:	019 P1450905.jpg 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	295092
    I’d got the CDL machine in my sights and could see my tracers boring into it’s cockpit, the plane lurched and I was sure that I’d hit the pilot, but he quickly recovered control.

Name:	020 P1450906.jpg 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	295093
    As we flew past each other I could see blood spattered across his goggles, it was either that or droplets of oil.

I know it’s a bad thing to say but I hoped it was blood.

Name:	021 P1450908.jpg 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	295094
    As before I immediately did an Immelmann turn and was on his tail, firing into a chap with no returning fire always feels cowardly, safe but cowardly.

Name:	022 P1450909.jpg 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	295095
    But he was good, - good and brave, he turned on me, we were at point blank range, neither of us missed but I saw he was hit again and lost control of his machine plummeting to earth like a dead pheasant.

I think I said I wasn’t much good shooting ducks but I’m the devil shooting pheasants.

Name:	023 P1450910.jpg 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	295096
    Just a gratuitous close up before the Halberstadt spirals down out of control in to our side of the lines, if he survives I thought I would invite him to dinner with the squadron as he was my 7th victim and as luck would have it, I was our flights leading scorer, for the time being at least.

We had our lunch and a bottle of wine, I was waiting to hear what had happened to my Hun when Taki remarked that the afternoon patrol should have returned by now so we went over to see if Uncle had heard any news.

Just as we arrived his phone rang and it was Biff on the line, “Sorry Uncle we’ve lost both planes and I don’t know what’s happened to Jerome yet”. “We were both downed over no mans land and he’s not reported in, have you heard from him”. Uncle just looked saddened but said “no, tell me what happened and then get yourself back here, the drinks are on young Vagabond he’s just claimed his 7th and I’ve had confirmation from the infantry so it’s official, he’s in the chair tonight”.

Name:	024.JPG 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	295097
    I could hear Biff’s laugh, strangely tinny, distorted by the phone line but then he responded to Uncle, “well we were returning from our patrol, it had been uneventful we didn’t see a sign of the Hun until we were within sight of the lines and then there were 2 of those pretty EIII’s coming straight at us”.

Name:	025 P1450915.jpg 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	295098
    We all opened fire at each other, at fairly long range, I know it’s not good practice but you never know when a lucky shot will take down a plane, I’m pretty sure I hit the pilot in my target Fokker.

Name:	026 P1450916.jpg 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	295099
    We all flew a straight course and while that’s a bold thing to do, it’s also bloody stupid and we all collided, Jerome went straight down.

Name:	027 P1450917.jpg 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	295100
    But none of the rest of us seemed to take much damage.

Name:	028 P1450919.jpg 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	295101
    The collision must have distracted my Hun because when I Immeled he was still flying a straight line homeward and I had him right in front of me. I opened fire immediately and could see I had damaged his plane, well before he could take evasive action.

Name:	029 P1450921.jpg 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	295102
    I pulled back on the stick to slow my plane a little and continued to pour lead into him causing some more damage but the fool in the grey EIII was turning fast, I don’t think he even saw me.

Both these have +1 damage not shown.

Name:	030 P1450924.jpg 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	295103
    I nearly had kittens when he flashed past, I was concentrating so hard with the CDL Fokker in my sights that I wasn’t ready for him. It’s lucky for me that he didn’t know his arse from his elbow, excuse the similarly. Any way I got the CDL Fokker, think the lads in the trenches should be able to confirm a kill as he went down right in front of me. Very timely as my blasted gun jammed, so I Immeled and tried to clear the damned thing.

Name:	031 P1450926.jpg 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	295104
    I wasn’t quick enough clearing the jam, I’d forgotten to take the wooden mallet up with me, anyway the grey EIII had also Immeled and opened fire first, luckily he missed. I think I may have hit upon a couple of novices because they seemed pretty inept, but it only takes one lucky bullet, as we both know.

Name:	032 P1450927.jpg 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	295105
    We flew close, almost wing tip to wing tip and I think if we hadn’t both dipped our wings at the same time we would have collided.

Name:	033 P1450928.jpg 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	295106
    After a bit more jinking about the sky he was able to get the drop on me and that lucky shot started a small fire.

Name:	034 P1450929.jpg 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	295107
    I waited with bated breath for it to get worse and did every acrobatic trick I knew to put the damn thing out.

Name:	035 P1450930.jpg 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	295108
    Of course I was concentrating on the fire so much that I missed the fact that he was coming in again and it was only when he started blowing lumps off my plane that I realised he was so close. I have to say I was a bit worried because as you know the Morane's are pretty fragile at the best of times and this wasn’t helping at all.

Name:	036 P1450933.jpg 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	295109
    Well I wasn’t having any of that, the fire had caused very little damage when it blew out and I was still in the hunt. Eventually I'd got him lined up but I guess I was a bit jittery from the fire, the smoke, well maybe not, I’m not really sure, well all I’m trying to say is that I managed to miss a fairly easy shot and unfortunately for me he didn’t.

Then yet again the fool flew straight in my path and we collided with a hell of a bang, I went down in no mans land, but those EIII’s must be solidly built because he just flew off home.

So not a good show, I heard Biff say over the phone, we got one of them and they got both of us.

I’ll try and find out how Jerome fared before I come home. There was a pause before Biff said, “He flew straight into the Hun you know, he’s either very brave or too frightened to not be brave” “Just tell Henry he was brave”

“OK wilko” was Uncles laconic response. “Just get a lift home quickly because you know how tight young Vagabond is and the drink will taste so much better when he has to let the moths out of his wallet then we'll probably have to hold him up by his heals to shake the money out of him to pay for a second round.
    Last edited by flash; 12-04-2020 at 02:08.

Butchers Bill

Morning Patrol

Name:	060.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	295114
    2/Lt John Vagabond = RTB - 1 Kill (Khun in the CDL Halberstadt)

2/Lt Ichiro Takahashi = RTB - No Kill

Name:	061 P1450911.jpg 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	295115
    Ltn Hans Kuhn (Brown Halberstadt) = FRTB (General Damage) - No Kills
    Rolled double 6 = Crashed on landing.
    C&W Rolled double 2 = 4 -1 FRTB +1 RTB = 4 Injured skip 1D6 Scenarios. Rolled 6 = Skip 6 scenarios.

Dave please could you check I’ve got this right and included the correct modifiers, Thanks. Spot on

Hans Kuhn pranged on landing, his undercarriage collapsed, the plane somersaulted along the runway and he was badly injured having to be stretchered away with 2 broken legs and a fractured jaw, he should be fixed up and in one piece for the next campaign. (Unless I made a mistake in the calculation)

Ltn Walter Hubrich (CDL Halberstadt) = SD ET, WIA (Twice) – No Kills
    C&W rolled 6 -1SD -2 WIA = 3 – Injured, skip 1D6 scenarios - rolled 3 = skip 3 scenarios.
    E&E rolled 7 = -2 WIA -1 WIC -1 BEL = 3 Captured and escaped, skip 1D3 scenarios rolled 1 = skip 1 scenarios.

Walter Hubrich, showed tremendous pluck and courage in dodging the British troops sent to round him up, in spite of being badly injured both in the air fighting and the following crash he made it back to his own side of the lines and after a spell in hospital will return for the next campaign.

While he was in hospital I wrote to him expressing my sorrow that he had not made it to our Mess for dinner that night but wished him luck. Later, when he found out about the great wallet prizing and my upending to pay for the drinks he sent me a small padlock for my wallet expressing his sympathy for my traumatic experience having to pay for the evening drinks.

Afternoon Patrol

Name:	062.JPG 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	295116
    Lt Montague “Biff” Anstruther-Browne = COL NML - 1 Kill (Fritz Nulle CDL Fokker)
    C&W Rolled double 4 = 8 -2 COL -1 NML = 5 Injured Skip 1D3 scenarios, rolled 6 = skip 3 scenarios.
    E&E Rolled 9 -1WIC +1 NML = 9 They didn’t even see me.

NB He crashed due to the collision and the fire had just gone out.

S/Lt Jerome Dupont = COL NML – No Kills
    C&W rolled double 3 = 6 -2 COL -1 NML = 3 Injured, skip 1D6 Scenarios, rolled 5 = Skip 5 scenarios
    E&E Rolled 7 -1WIC +1 NML = 7 almost home = skip 1 scenario.

Skip 5 scenarios, he will spend a long time in a French Military Hospital.

Name:	063 P1450936.jpg 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	295117
    Lt Fritz Nulle (CDL Fokker) = SD – No Kills
    C&W rolled 8 -1 SD -1 WIA -1 NML = 5 Injured, skip 1D3 Scenarios, rolled 2 = Skip 1 scenario
    E&E Rolled 5 -1 WIA -1WIC +1 NML = 4 Captured and escaped = skip 1D3 scenarios, rolled 2 = skip 1 scenario.

Nulle was slippery as an eel, he found a shell hole and hid out until nightfall when he was able to make his way back through the lines and join his comrades, a bandage, aspirin and a couple of cognacs will see him back on his feet soon.

Ltn Christien Rosenfeld (Grey Fokker) RTB - 2Kills (Dupont in COL) (Biff in COL)

Dave I believe being downed by a COL counts as a kill, could you confirm if that’s right or not. Thanks. Spot on

I had a plethora of doubles rolled in the Butchers Bill, fortunately mostly for pilots who were shot down and so only lost one (out for 6 missions) who returned to base in a damaged plane.

Pete I thoroughly enjoyed that, it was a simple 2 on 2 game elegant in it's concept. Thanks
    Last edited by flash; 12-04-2020 at 02:06.

John Hats off for a great AAR narrative and some fantastic photos and add ons. The mats look great as well.
    The important thing is that the Bulldogs got a win.

Wounded twice usually means poor Walter Hubrich is no more but with the miracles of modern medicine he might well live again
    rep incoming

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Terrific AAR, John, with some fantastic visuals.
    Especially liked the CDL Halb in the clouds.

The C&W / E&E rolls were a bit harsh, but no KIA or POW so we will see those pilots again.

Kuhn rolling a double 6 and pranging brought back memories from my own scenario,

Glad you enjoyed the outing.

Good job on the AAR, John. I think Vagabond and Taki are a great team; although I would think Taki would be anxious to make Ace. As for the afternoon patrol, who knew that ramming would be the main method of attack????

Nice one John. A great read and pictures

Superb John, great visuals and story telling, I particularly liked the after Tally catch up. Looks like you got things right on your queries too. Your game also shows well the set up issue of distance with planes of the same speed.

Uncle says:

Well goodness me, what a difference a few hours & circumstance can make eh. Two kills for the squadron over the day & two chaps down and out for a while but they'll be back. Fairly even Stevens overall but pushing our numbers, though we'll probably manage.
    Loss of the CO is hard but we have a replacement to hand, even if only for a few months. HQ has decided that our highest scorer is to be made up to Acting Lieutenant and take on the job of running the show so congratulations to
    A/Lt John Vagabond.
    That'll put him firmly in the chair tonight

Meanwhile across the line...
    Ltn Christian Rosenfeld is awarded the Iron Cross 2nd class for his third victory for the Kaiser and earns the nickname "Crasher" for the manner in which he got the last pair... if he makes ace one day he may need lucky pilot !
    Last edited by flash; 12-04-2020 at 02:26.

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Very enjoyable AAR John with great visuals with the clouds & smoke/fire.

Not very sporting of the jolly old Hun resorting to crashing into your opponents.
    Wonder what the Geneva Convention has to say about that.

Have some Rep for your efforts mate.

Thanks for the encouragement on the AAR, sorry I've been a bit tied up the last few days and not got to this until now.

Well the drinks certainly are on A/Lt John Vagabond, - promotion it probably means I'm going to have to buy a bigger hat to fit my head.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I particularly liked the after Tally catch up.

Loss of the CO is hard but we have a replacement to hand, even if only for a few months. HQ has decided that our highest scorer is to be made up to Acting Lieutenant and take on the job of running the show so congratulations to
    A/Lt John Vagabond.
    That'll put him firmly in the chair tonight
    Thanks Dave, I wasn't too sure if it would make it harder for you to sort the wheat from the chaff by including it in the body of the Butchers Bill.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    ...I wasn't too sure if it would make it harder for you to sort the wheat from the chaff by including it in the body of the Butchers Bill....
    As long as the Tally is clear, which yours are, and it's concise it isn't a problem - if you put the pilot's names in bold that helps a lot too.

"He is wise who watches"

Excellent John. Great AAR and the photos are top notch. Love those with the pegs removed - sorry, just don't have the time and patience to do that more than once in a blue moon. Interesting comment you made about the movement cards in your comments on Dave's number 9 AAR. I've always left them in situe. In fact I've always believed it was required - don't know where I got that from either, 'cos the pics do look so much better without them. That said, I agree with Dave. It may detract from the pics, but it makes a whole lot more sense when trying to interpret what's going on.
    Great fight you had there. For a minute I thought you were going to tell us Dupont was a total gonner. Have to say, I was relieved when I looked at the Butcher's Bill - I'm sure he'll enjoy the break once he's on the mend
    Congrats for the promotion - A/Lt John Vagabond. Will he ever be the same and congrats to "Crasher" for his gong, despite the method he used to aquire that sobriquet. Drinks on you I believe

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Excellent John. Great AAR and the photos are top notch. Love those with the pegs removed - sorry, just don't have the time and patience to do that more than once in a blue moon. Interesting comment you made about the movement cards in your comments on Dave's number 9 AAR. I've always left them in situe. In fact I've always believed it was required - don't know where I got that from either, 'cos the pics do look so much better without them. That said, I agree with Dave. It may detract from the pics, but it makes a whole lot more sense when trying to interpret what's going on.
    Great fight you had there. For a minute I thought you were going to tell us Dupont was a total gonner. Have to say, I was relieved when I looked at the Butcher's Bill - I'm sure he'll enjoy the break once he's on the mend
    Congrats for the promotion - A/Lt John Vagabond. Will he ever be the same and congrats to "Crasher" for his gong, despite the method he used to aquire that sobriquet. Drinks on you I believe
    It's like reading an old diary, the events are still there in the memory but time has moved on. Nothing is the same as it was at the end of this mission.

Although I am still alive.

Touch and go there, actually too much touching. Looked like a Russian front battle.

Great atmosphere with your photos John. That must add a bit of time to getting the AAR done!

God to see all Bulldogs are at least alive, some not so well. They'll be back at some point with experience to learn from....we hope.

Touching seems to happen in some of my scraps, Dave nicknamed one of my German Pilots "Crasher" for obvious reasons.

Cheers

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-25-2021, 00:56
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-22-2021, 11:42
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-22-2021, 11:32
  4. BRF OTT CYM Mission 9 “Who’s Stalking Who?” 5 September 1916
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-14-2020, 16:20